Movies of 2007

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Fuji Nagase wrote:
-gong lee is an amazing actress and i figured she deserved more than "i like her tits, and what? she has a face?"
BS! If her name isn't Christian Bale she doesn't deserve my devotion!
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

yeah, i can see that too.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

respect the Lady !

So, anyone awaiting for George Romero's Diary of the Dead ? It's about a group of young film makers who plan on filming the recently UN-dead people for their horror movie project. I like the idea. Thoses characters are dumb but the concept of the movie is cool. Can't wait.

Also, anyone heard about the remakes of thoses two asian movies : The Eye and One Missed Call ? I think touching thoses two cool movies is really un-necessary. It's only marketing. But I'll be going to see Jessica Alba in The Eye remake :oops:
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I saw Satoshi Kon's latest film, Paprika, at the Gothenburg International Film Festival mere hours ago.

Boy did it kick ass. Many themes and much social commentary make a return from Paranoia Agent (the superflat society of Japan, the otaku subculture), with the added bonus of the internet (symbolized by dreams) as a vessel for delusion and social isolation. I think it's slated for release in May in the U.S.

Oh, and Susumu Hirazawa did the music (awesome), Madhouse animated it, and Production IG and Gainax are listed in the credits (awesome).
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

Sounds damn good. Powerful team.

Saw Apocalypso... rubbish.

Waiting on Fearless, may not be rubbish.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Fearless is a little to short, but ok.

Saw The Illusionst a few weeks ago, really good movie but it couldnt beat The Prestige that I saw today. Yeah you can guess some parts of whats going to happen, but its still good when it does :)

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

For this year I am waiting for Ong-Bak 2, so far.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

man i want to see the satoshi kon movie!!

just saw:

Perfume: the story of a murderer
and
Pan's Labyrinth

Perfume: it was an 18th century murder story, and it was done quite well. it was a little long, but i didnt notice much. the story was told very well and it was pretty unpredictable which i like but rarely experience. it had a very grimey and dirty, very gothic feel to it and was an enoyable watch to say the least. ironic and light while still being rather creepy.

Pan's Labyrinth: so there was so much hype for this movie i wasnt sure what to think going in. i figured i'd just let it be whatever it was. i ended up liking a lot. it had a very odd combination of fairy-tale and brutal reality. the costumes/make-up was amazing and the cast was great as well. the girl who played ophelia seemed perfect for the role and the score also matched the movie well. it had a good amount of blood to keep me happy, some brutal death scenes and some very cute moments as well. it reminded me of alice in wonderland and mirror mask with some princess mononoke in there too. i think everyone should see it, just to see it!

fearless was amazing when i saw it. i saw it maybe a month or two ago and i was blown away. compared to the other jet li movies this was so spectacular. i think its a great movie for jet li to go out on.

Ong-Bak 2 i cant wait for as well. tony jaa is fucking awesome!!! i wonder how many elephants will be in this one?

next on my list: The Queen

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Damn i didnt even know Ong-Bak 2 was being made, thats great :D
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

hell fuckin' yeah

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I'm sorry to tell you guys, but one movie toted as Ong Bak 2 was so retarded it even hurt me, watching it. (It also had nothing to do with Ong Bak at all.)

I don't know why you haven't heard about it, yet. Unless there are several Ong Bak 2 movies, and just the one I saw was ridiculous. I don't even remember what it's about, it was just loosely connected scenes to get into the next fight. And elephants, so I guess you have heard about it.

Ah, I get it (after checking IMDB), there is an actual Ong Bak 2 being made. Good, hopefully they hire a script writer.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

The movie I saw dubbed as Ong-bak 2 was Tom yum Goong. It is very similar to Ong-bak, if you consider that if you replace the word head with elephant in the Ong-bak script, you get just about the same result. But I liked it. Those fights were badass!
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Tom yum Goong was good fighting wise and thats enough.

Its not an oscar movie exactly.....

The capoiera fight alone is worth it.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Skullkracker wrote:The movie I saw dubbed as Ong-bak 2 was Tom yum Goong. It is very similar to Ong-bak, if you consider that if you replace the word head with elephant in the Ong-bak script, you get just about the same result. But I liked it. Those fights were badass!
Pretty much, anything that came out of the characters mouth in either movies wasn't needed. Good fights are enough to be a good martial arts film. Putting a bad story in a movie with decent fights just makes it even more torture example. Hero/unleashed/any jet li movie that is not Legend or kiss of dragon.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

i thought fearless was good. but yeah, bad story, okay fights=baaaad

but i didnt think that Tom yum Goong (or the protector in the US) was THAT bad story wise. i actually thought it was better than the orig. in terms of story and fighting, in most respects. not all, but in most ways. of course they are really similar to begin with.

Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Fearless was an martial arts epic, very unique and cool movie in Jet Li's standards. The mediocre story and acting took too much space IMO, but the fights were great, just too few of them(it felt like a drama movie more then a martial arts one quite often, when its supposed to be the typical kung fu action...and not lots of drama+kung fu like Hero).

While Tom Yum gong had insanely bad acting and story, it didnt matter fuck all at all, because it was just unserious campiness of b-action movies when it comes to non-fight parts.

It was tolerable or could be ignored because there were MANY fights and allmost all of them were intense and out of this world amazing stuff, hardly possible to make more badass fights like in that movie(He actually uses insane stunt men that are hit for real quite often). Though some of them were cut a bit shirt IMO, maybe to move onto the next one. Like the instant cult fight that is the capoeira one, it felt anti-climatic how it ended(after nonstop awing you for several minutes), like it wasnt planned to end that way. And it wasnt, the fought so hard and real in parts that the capoeira dude hurt his back and couldnt continue on.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

You cant compare Hero with Tom Yum Goong or Fearless really, its a different type of movie. Hero is a wuxia or swordplay flick, there is a whole genre of movies like it and they are more drama than asskicking.

Tom Yum Goong and Ong Bak had horrible stories, if you can call them that, they were really just excuses for kicking some heads in. I enjoyed the story in Fearless, its based on actual events and it ties into my other favorite jet Li movie; Fist of Legend.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

I wasn't actually comparing them, sorry if it sounded like it. Hero is a serious drama movie(frigging great actors like Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung is the main characters), a historic period piece with alot of romantic fantasy. I dont judge that kind of movie or compare it with simple fighting films because they are very different genres, and serve different purposes altogether(you only expect one thing from a fighting film).

Why I brought up Hero was in comparison to Fearless in one detail, and one detail only. And that was that saying it tried to be too much of a drama movie instead of concentrating on being more of a fighting film it should be. Fearless is also a historic period piece, yes, but the main aim besides telling the simple and heroic story of a chinese hero, was quite clearly to entertain us with martial arts and good fighting scenes.

Very much unlike Hero which was a serious drama movie. So I was slighty criticizing Fearless, which I liked, for having too much drama, and too little fighting. Shouldnt be the case since the drama and acting in Fearless is subpar and not its strenght. Its strenght was martial arts, and should have concentrated more on it, instead the cheesy story(or more correctly, the cheesy acting and direction, the story is a classic good one) of when he was in the rural village forever, enduring bad acting forever before one saw another fight scene.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I don't care what you call Hero, I call it shit. I rather go and watch Bridget Jones Diary 2 again instead of watching that shitty Swordplay drama. Damn the fight in Bridget Jones Diary was better.

Now I'm looking forward to Fearless since I love Legend.

I want to buy Running with scissors is it any good?
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

yeah, hero looks pretty bad compared to fearless. i agree, too much drama.

Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

The amount of money that went into the production of Fearless came directly from the success of Hero, eh. I reckon they went brave with it, China's got some expensive cinema now and it's pretty mint. Hong Kong always had really polished and creative cinema but it hardly effected mainstream, I don't think - it was somewhat niche. Pretty amazing to see top end Chinese flicks... Fearless, for example, was pristine production wise and it had some impressive effects. Haha, I thought it was going to have that old style of Chinese film, but it had sweet flashy serious shit going on - no head-zooms or wavy tracks. Carried away - moving on.

Hero was a bit more dramatic, but it wasn't as corny as Fearless. Fearless had pretty cheap philosophy it was a bit of an emotion wanker, I got pretty annoyed with how much it bled when a character died; they needed to have a little speech stating pretty obvious facts on the feelings of certain characters. On the other hand, fight scenes were immaculate, eh... so many times I was fucking gaping over their antics; landing unusually only to bounce into combo, close cuts within hurricane swirls... the fight in the restaurant was the best I've seen in a while.
Funny, though, to see it so richly done - colours, lighting, ambient detail. Bloody seamless.

Bridget Jones Diary? What one's that. That is a rotten form of sarcasm, man, wash your mouth out before you get girl germs... Hero was still intense (the fight in the white room with the stacks of wood was entertaining). It has more genuine or detailed emotions attached to it, not as coarse or embarrassing as Fearless.

Don't know what's coming out this year, yet. The Queen doesn't look that interesting, period films are shit as unless they're fictional. Perfume may be alright...
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Malvado wrote: If her name isn't Christian Bale she doesn't deserve my devotion!
quoted for truth
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

I just finished watching House of the Flying Daggers for the second time, and I log in to find everyone dissing Hero. It wasn't That bad, although I was bored at some parts, but it was visually beautiful.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

I loved Hero, so you cant exactly say everyone. I prefer Hero, that is a mix of everyting and a wholesome a quality entertaining movie, to the the typical only martial arts movies(that are bad in everything but the fighting mostly) that some here said they prefer over Hero(like Fearless, that kicked ass btw).

But Flying Daggers needs to be dissed as hell. Average movie that is of inconsistent quality throughout the movie. Started interesting and was cool, but turned out to be quite dull.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Jet Li has a lot of movies where the story does not interfere with the action. They may not be great stories, but they were not bad enough to be noticed, though. He also has some movies with quite nice stories. Fist of Legend, Tai Chi-Master, and any Once upon a time in China for instance, not even mentioning Fong Sai Yuk. In fact, Jet Li has a lot of good movies.
You don't have to like Hero, personally I just thought it was a little boring. But for Chinese history the meaning is quite profound, in a way it's the alternate version of "The Emperor and the Assassin".

Now that Panum Yeerum movie, Tom yum goong, was so bad story-wise that it even distracted from the fights.

Plus the fights were bloody stupid in places. where did all those idiots on the bikes come from in that warehouse fight? It doesn't matter that it looked good, at least some of it, but it was SOO stupid that it detracted from the movie. I couldn't pay attention to the fights because I was laughing so hard at how stupidly they were strung together.

Hey, it's not Riddick sort of bad, but as close as possible for any movie that actually HAS good fights.
Last edited by Brainpiercing on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.