Berserk Chapter: 280

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

It hasn't really been that long. I mean, Sir Owen still looks about the same as he did back then. True, Guts would be expected to have aged at least a little, but some people just don't age as fast as others, and also memories may have faded a bit over time, so if someone thinks he looks exactly the same, they'll probably just think it's their mind playing tricks on them. Last, if nothing else he can use it as one more bit of evidence of his "miraculous" nature, just like the spirits he calls up, and all the other things he does.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

Well, according to a timeline, Guts is still like 21-22, which makes little sense. Maybe he looks older because of the wounds. Griffith is about 23 so, all in all, aging is not yet a problem for him. Of course timeline has a disclamer, so this all could be a bunch of BS.
Last edited by 42ndEndOfTheWorld on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

*crawling out of his vile lair* Oh hey, new berserk? Awesome. Good release totally unexpected, thus my late arrival and all.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Chaos_Wanderer
Found the Edit button

Post by Chaos_Wanderer »

just an interesting observation. I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but i've noticed in the past that the Neo-Hawk Bowman has Blank eyes. In chapter 280, we get a good look at his Bow and you can clearly see an eyeball at the center of his bow, but i only see 1 eye. That's going to make one interesting looking Monster.
Azrael
notanewb

Post by Azrael »

Chaos_Wanderer wrote:just an interesting observation. I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but i've noticed in the past that the Neo-Hawk Bowman has Blank eyes. In chapter 280, we get a good look at his Bow and you can clearly see an eyeball at the center of his bow, but i only see 1 eye. That's going to make one interesting looking Monster.
Oh yeah, definitely. I'm kind of anxious to see it.
Just wanna point out, his bow's eye has been visible in previous chapters, though.
"For you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly."
- From Alan Moore's The Watchmen
Joeki
notanewb

Post by Joeki »

LoL , yeah the bow has one eye.
But that actually troubles me , since you need two eyes to have depth in your eyesight , so I'm thinking it would be pretty hard to fire a bow accuratly with just one eye hehehehe.

But he should be a cool looking freak yes indeed.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

whatever
I'm pretty sure he's not using his sight for aiming...maybe badass apostle powers instead :twisted:
|||||||
Mastered PM

Post by ||||||| »

What is the masked thing doing? (the kushan creature with the white mask and the rest is kind of a black cloak something) Isn't that supposed to be neutral except of guarding griffith? am I getting everything wrong…?

There was some great art in this chapter but not much story…so I guess there's not too much to comment about the progress.

cheers
Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

No, that thing definately follows Griffith. Mostly, he just "guards" Griffith, as from the Kushan assassins, but he certainly is part of Griffith's army, and obeys Griffith's commands. I'm pretty sure he's on record as saying he'll kill Griffith if he gets a good chance, but until then he follows him. As for what he's doing, he seems to be injuring the elephants to make them go berserk. Seems clear enough to me.
Chaos_Wanderer
Found the Edit button

Post by Chaos_Wanderer »

Gutts does pretty good for only having 1 eye
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Gatts is a swordsman - he fight on close quarters. Obviously you need depth perception, but not as much as a freaking archer :)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I think what Chaos Wanderer might have been refering to was when Guts uses his crossbow. Even there, though, he fires lots of shots, at generally close range, so depth perception wouldn't be all that big an issue.
Chaos_Wanderer
Found the Edit button

Post by Chaos_Wanderer »

Depth Perception is definitely key to accuracy, but a strait line is a strait line. but a lot of marksmen such as hunters or snipers shut 1 eye. Guts on the other hand has a very large blind spot and his other senses must be on maximum all the time. But you gotta wonder. How often do you thing he would have to ask himself "hmm...i wonder when that kushan flying disk is going to hit me?"(volume 20, chapter 2, page 29) or how about, "I wonder if that guy is close enough to me to get his head removed by the Dragon Slayer"
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

The Dragon Slayer is so damn big that it wouldn't matter. :P

I don't think his blindness holds him back. In a chapter just after the eclipse, it shows Guts chopping fish under a waterfall and he seems to adjust well enough.

You know, when the Berserk's Armor takes over he "regrows" his left hand, so it's possible that he also regains sight in his right eye.
Armisael
imanewbie

Post by Armisael »

EnglishJim wrote:
I don't think his blindness holds him back. In a chapter just after the eclipse, it shows Guts chopping fish under a waterfall and he seems to adjust well enough.

You know, when the Berserk's Armor takes over he "regrows" his left hand, so it's possible that he also regains sight in his right eye.
Yeah, he adjusts. This is a given. Its not 'blindness' either.
Second, he doesnt 'regrow' his left hand. When he first receives the Berserker armor at Schierke's safe haven when the Neo Hawks attack, we see that Gatts uses the cannon against an apostle. It has been a while since he last used the cannon but it hasnt gone anywhere.

Also, this is my first post and I wanted to say thank you very much for these releases. Amazing work.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Armisael wrote:Yeah, he adjusts. This is a given. Its not 'blindness' either.
Second, he doesnt 'regrow' his left hand. When he first receives the Berserker armor at Schierke's safe haven when the Neo Hawks attack, we see that Gatts uses the cannon against an apostle. It has been a while since he last used the cannon but it hasnt gone anywhere.
Guts cannot see out of his right eye, so 'blindness' is as good a term as any. I suppose I could have said one-eyed vision or whatever, but I wasn't looking to be politically correct.

Second, notice how I used speech marks around "regrow". When Guts goes berserk it looks as though he can control his left hand through the power of the armor, as if he had grown anew. That is what I was refering to.
inkthinker
Found the Edit button

Post by inkthinker »

Gut's artificial hand has always been articulate... they never explain how, but he can open and close it and presumably manipulate the individual fingers.

When the Berserker armor takes over, does he get one lightning-bolt streak eye or two, though? If he gets two, then yeah... I'd say he's gotten back some form of "eyesight" with Berserker mode, but I can't actually recall if there's one streak or two.
Ash J. Williams
imanewbie

Post by Ash J. Williams »

Well, with the hand, Rickert built it with a magnet inside of it so Guts could hold a sword. Aside from that, they never explain anything else.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

as far as I've been observing it, he can open and close his palm, so he can punch with it, hold on to his sword, and fire the cannon

and all that's been said about it was that it had a magnet in it.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

If all he does is open or close it, that's not all that unreasonable. It wouldn't be that hard to design the hand so that if he flexed his arm (where it joins to the artificial part) in a certain way, the hand opens or closes. Since that's all we've seen him do with it, I don't see the problem. Now if he used it to give someone the finger, or something, that would be hard to explain.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

What I don't get is all this talk about no depth perception with only one eye. I can close my eye and still see normally, still function normally, everything...normally. Nothing changes. Things don't look different except at more left or right angles.

Many a night have I driven home from the bar with only one eye open. ^_^

BUT, it has been on record that I'm an idiot so I may not even know what depth perception is. But until I learn and figure out that I'm wrong, everything is the same when I close one eye. I can tell how far things are away just as I could with both eyes.

Weird stuff but w/e.

And Guts looks older because he's got the experience. Old or not, if you've been through hell, you'll look it.
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Foggy
imanewbie

Post by Foggy »

TheDrizzit wrote:What I don't get is all this talk about no depth perception with only one eye. I can close my eye and still see normally, still function normally, everything...normally. Nothing changes. Things don't look different except at more left or right angles.
Things do not look different but you lose your depth perception. Have somebody throw a ball to you from a considerable distance, you should catch it without problem. Close one eye and try again. Good luck trying to figure out when the ball is going to get to you. Most people instinctively shield themselves with only one eye open because their brain has no clue when the object will arrive.

Another good test is to find something in your room, a trash can or bucket of sorts is best, and try to make a small object into the said trash can or bucket with both eyes open. Then try again with the same object, you will be much more inaccurate with one eye open.

Good marksman are actually taught to keep both eyes open in order to use their depth perception properly. I do not know enough about scopes to comment on their application and impact with the eye. Though I assume since the target is at such a range where your no-scoped eye would have no impact on your vision.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Preview pic is up:

Titled somewhere along the lines of 'flying'.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

Thanks Eldo.

Definitely looks like Neo Hawks Army ( the human part of it ).
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Gattsblackfalcon wrote: Definitely looks like Neo Hawks Army ( the human part of it ).
The Neo Hawk army has a human part?

Even pre-demon mode, most Apostles don't look nearly that normal (thoug hti is from a distance). I think that is part of what remains from the Holy See Army.
ImageImage