Appleseed Manga

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Appleseed Manga

Post by Brainpiercing »

This is by Masamune Shiro, just like the GITS series. But strangely enough, while for GITS I totally bought the anime, and found the manga incoherent and weird, this manga totally blows the anime (even the new one) away.

Once you start reading it, the gaping flaws of the movie become apparent. So if you thought that the movie seems like a force action show, with tons of plotholes, this one will seem far more coherent. Of course the action in the movie was great, but there wasn't much point to most of it.

So if you're looking for something to read in the sci-fi department, check this one out.

(get it from ckmoney)
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

How many vols is there?

The action was great in the movie but as you said the story had some holes. Since im a fan of GITS this is a must. I just have to finish some mangas first.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

The main manga has four volumes. There are also two independent short stories.

I liked the first story arc (vol. 1-2), but I never really got into the later parts of the manga. Quit reading vol.3 after chapter 17 or so...
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Was the manga before th first movie or after?
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

Before...

The first movie was based on the Manga.

The second movie doesn't really stick to the original mangas story-line.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Cool. Yet to see the seoncd movie. Saw the first though, a few days ago. Liked it, and now looking forward to reading manga, since my biggest complaint about movie woudl be it just felt to full of holes.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I've only read the first two volumes, too, so if the second two become stupid, oh well, since I don't recommend you buy it, unless you really like, there's nothing lost.

I haven't seen the first applesee movie, but I've read the reviews on animenfo, and they don't say too many good things about it. The second movie is a visual treat, I just don't like that the animations are very computer-game like from time to time.
Brainpiercing
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Brainpiercing wrote: I just don't like that the animations are very computer-game like from time to time.
Thats the only thing i dont like in the new movie cause it doesnt look or feel like an anime.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I must say I also don't like the new trend of computer animated facial expressions, because they mostly overdo it. It doesn't look any more real, and it even looks more inhuman than the usual anime expressions. This also bugged me in the Otogizoushi series.
Brainpiercing
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

If they use computer animation to me, I like it to be used solely on the background, and then for people to use the classic animation cells or whatever.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, mostly that does look the best. I don't mind an advance in technology, but they shouldn't overdo it, and also make sure it doesn't look like a computer game afterwards.

The animations are another point, specifically the martial arts moves displayed. Once you've got such smooth framerates and actually show the character doing kicks and punches, it should look real, not like jerky computer-animated shit. But seeing that even major movie producers don't realize that their martial arts animations look gay (Spider man, lol) I don't see any change in the trend right now.
Brainpiercing
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Brainpiercing wrote:Hmm, mostly that does look the best. I don't mind an advance in technology, but they shouldn't overdo it, and also make sure it doesn't look like a computer game afterwards.

The animations are another point, specifically the martial arts moves displayed. Once you've got such smooth framerates and actually show the character doing kicks and punches, it should look real, not like jerky computer-animated shit. But seeing that even major movie producers don't realize that their martial arts animations look gay (Spider man, lol) I don't see any change in the trend right now.
The worst to me were the second and third matrix. I all the computer animated fights bothered the hell out of me, I was like is this a damn game, the Final Fantasy movie looked more real. But that movie was just amazing animationwise.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Unfortunately they wasted all their money on animation and never thought that they needed a story to go with it.

Also, they put so much detail into the woman the rest of the cast looked too drab in comparison.
Brainpiercing
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I still loved the movie. It had enough plot to make happy while watching what blows my mind away animation wise. And I thought all the cast looked real good. I actually thought she looked the least realistic.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Probably our anime ruined eyes find too much detail disconcerting...
Brainpiercing