In U.S., fear and distrust of Muslims runs deep

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

In U.S., fear and distrust of Muslims runs deep

Post by psi29a »

source
WASHINGTON (Reuters)- When radio host Jerry Klein suggested that all Muslims in the United States should be identified with a crescent-shape tattoo or a distinctive arm band, the phone lines jammed instantly.

The first caller to the station in Washington said that Klein must be "off his rocker." The second congratulated him and added: "Not only do you tattoo them in the middle of their forehead but you ship them out of this country ... they are here to kill us."

Another said that tattoos, armbands and other identifying markers such as crescent marks on driver's licenses, passports and birth certificates did not go far enough. "What good is identifying them?" he asked. "You have to set up encampments like during World War Two with the Japanese and Germans."

At the end of the one-hour show, rich with arguments on why visual identification of "the threat in our midst" would alleviate the public's fears, Klein revealed that he had staged a hoax. It drew out reactions that are not uncommon in post-9/11 America.
At the end of the day, if anyone suggests this and you are within earshot, you should turn around and confront them for the Nazis they are.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

All terrorist are muslims, not all muslims are terrorist. Duh!
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

"You know the Nazis had pieces of 'flair' that they made the Jews wear!"

The rampant bigotry in this country never ceases to amaze me.
ImageImage
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

There should be a name for this kind of hoax.

I'd call it "Boratting".
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
MonkWren
notanewb

Post by MonkWren »

ShinigamiGuts wrote:All terrorist are muslims, not all muslims are terrorist. Duh!
So the Okloham City bombings and the mails bombs were performed by Muslims? The IRA are also Muslims? The Basques, too?

No offense, but claiming that all terrorists are Muslims is as ignorant as claiming that all Muslims are terrorists.

Regardless, it's nice to see that Neo-Nazi-ism is alive and thriving in moder-day America. :p
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

MonkWren wrote:
ShinigamiGuts wrote:All terrorist are muslims, not all muslims are terrorist. Duh!
So the Okloham City bombings and the mails bombs were performed by Muslims? The IRA are also Muslims? The Basques, too?

No offense, but claiming that all terrorists are Muslims is as ignorant as claiming that all Muslims are terrorists.

Regardless, it's nice to see that Neo-Nazi-ism is alive and thriving in moder-day America. :p
We really need a bbcode for sarcasm. Otherwise we will never know.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

it was pretty obviously sarcastic/a joke. MonkRen is just thick headed ;)
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Its quite scary that I'm not the least suprised about this at all. Heard quite the horror stories of things that happend to american muslims(from people one know or complete strangers), and the sheer idiocy and ignorance never seizes to amaze me.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

That's like saying, 'all slaves are black, not all blacks are slaves'.

Incredibly ignorant statement.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Sadly its not only in US where people are like this, yes of course US are the extreme as usuall but still.

Even here in cozy sweden, i have seen in newspapers people that talk about how all muslims wanna kill them and stuff.

Its scary how one man can change the world so much....
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Libaax wrote:Sadly its not only in US where people are like this

You can say that again. Ever heard of the British National Party (BNP)?

With all the immigrants and mixture of cultures, the UK is losing it's identity. So the BNP formed and campaigned for patriotism and gained a lot of followers. Then it was later revealed through secret filming that they had more sinister things in mind.

EDIT: I just found the Jerry Klein video. Click HERE.
MonkWren
notanewb

Post by MonkWren »

MrFelony wrote:it was pretty obviously sarcastic/a joke. MonkRen is just thick headed ;)
Nah, more that :p doesn't translate to a smiley, which I'm used to from the other forum I post on. And yeah, I am pretty sarcastic. It's a talent. :)

Oh, and idle curiosity, Libaax, who is this "one man" you refer to?
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

He is talking about the bogus figurehead for Al Qaida and the rest of the merry band terrorist around the world, Bin Laden.

Such an insignificant man has had quite the influence in the world. Or his enemies(the US govt&co) have given him influence(to suit their agendas and have a boogeyman to scare people with), by creating his persona more or less as this very important and dangerous devilish puppeteer, while he is not that influential.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I'd say all American patriots deserve a bit of extra lebensraum.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
square-enix
imanewbie

Post by square-enix »

Bookmarked
For the entire talk show, http://rope.wmal.com/aud_archive/jk061126.mp3
MonkWren
notanewb

Post by MonkWren »

LordMune wrote:I'd say all American patriots deserve a bit of extra lebensraum.
Dear lord, that made me laugh.

And I thought Libaax was referring to Bush; it's a toss up as to which figurehead has caused more harm to the world. :roll:
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

MonkWren wrote:
LordMune wrote:
And I thought Libaax was referring to Bush; it's a toss up as to which figurehead has caused more harm to the world. :roll:
I dont know what the rolleyes smiley is supposed to imply, so I'll ask instead...are you being sarcastic, or do you seriously hesitate on which of them has has caused the (much much much much more) greater harm...and continues to distabilize the globe.
sima
imanewbie

Post by sima »

Maybe you noticed, when people are fighting against U.S. interest they are called terrorist (muslims or not) but when others are committing atrocities but are backed up by U.S. government they are called freedom fighters..
I am talking about FOXnews, CNN.....
\"THINK FOR YOURSELF, QUESTION AUTHORITY\"
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Shaka Zulu wrote: I dont know what the rolleyes smiley is supposed to imply, so I'll ask instead...are you being sarcastic, or do you seriously hesitate on which of them has has caused the (much much much much more) greater harm...and continues to distabilize the globe.
Weeell, you could argue that without 9/11 the bush administration would have gone down in history as the most uninspired administration, ever. So I guess both figureheads make a pretty good team together. They are both each other's favourite enemies, and without each other, they would both be pretty much forgotten.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.