UCLA Student Tasered by Police in Library

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

UCLA Student Tasered by Police in Library

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

What's your take on this incident? Some dude gets roasted for not standing up or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g7zlJx9u2E
What is good?-Whatever augments the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself, in man.
What is evil?-Whatever springs from weakness.
What is happiness?-The feeling that power increases-that resistance is overcome.

Nietzsche
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I found it kind of funny. Not that he couldn't stand up after getting tasered half a dozen times.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Haha, I also think its funny. Its called 'cooperation', bitch.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

When campus police ask you for your ID, you give it to them. It is private property, so that dude can just STFU. He has no right to be there unless they is a student, and if then it is a privilege NOT a right to use their facilities.

If it was a public (state run) college or uni, the grounds are public, but the buildings are not. So, private or public school require are not public property.
Last edited by psi29a on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

Pfft.

I'd taser people w/jumper cables for less....simply for giggles & mrrows to be exact. :twisted:

Probably why my application to the FBI was turned down, hrmm
"Your father sucks the flaking cocks of lepers in the lowest circle of HELL!!!"

..."Does he swallow?" ~Hellblazer

"Imagination is intelligence with an erection"~Victor Hugo

"Life is a disease...Sexually transmitted & fatal"~Neil Gaiman
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

BTW this guy is some midden eastern, so i think it was today that the muslim student union spoke to the public about it.

Recently cops at my school are forcing students with bikes and skateboards to ride on designated zones, instead of the freedom to ride anywhere before. So pretty much i waiting for a biker or skater to get the same shock treatment when they decide to ride in the no ride zone.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

halfnhalf wrote:BTW this guy is some midden eastern, so i think it was today that the muslim student union spoke to the public about it.

Recently cops at my school are forcing students with bikes and skateboards to ride on designated zones, instead of the freedom to ride anywhere before. So pretty much i waiting for a biker or skater to get the same shock treatment when they decide to ride in the no ride zone.
Depends on if it is private or public property and if there are any ordinances. Problem is, if it has wheels then does it qualify as a pedestrian or vehicular traffic. However, talk to the administration and get things done, you can't fight cops and you can't fight judges, their roll is enforce the word of law. Only administration (legislation) can change law/guidelines/rules/etc.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

psi29a wrote:When campus police ask you for your ID, you give it to them. It is private property, so that dude can just STFU.

I agree with above statement, but there are a few more things to consider here:

(1) A job of the police was either to trow him out or to arrest him. They never tried to arrest him. And, according to eyewitness he was already leaving when they grabbed him, thus actually PREVENTING him from leaving. That university has a policy that you don't need an ID before 11 o'clock (or something), so it is possible that he came before that and stayed longer than he should (he was an actual student).

(2) they tasered him multiple times before telling him to stand up. It is a bit hard to stand up when you are in that condition. They tasered him several times for no good reason, then asked him to do something impossible, then tasered him a few more thimes because he failed to do impossible task that they asked him to do.

(3) I don't think that it was all that hard for three people to just trow him out without making a scene (I mean it is a library not a friggin' war zone and the guy was not agressive or anything).

edited for grammar. also improved some points a bit
Last edited by 42ndEndOfTheWorld on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
What is good?-Whatever augments the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself, in man.
What is evil?-Whatever springs from weakness.
What is happiness?-The feeling that power increases-that resistance is overcome.

Nietzsche
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

How hard is it to say 'yes, here you go' or 'no, I was here before 11... and didn't intend to stay so long'.

A little courtesy can go a long way. There is more to the story than what is being reported. Students typically are idealists and like to pick fights and stick it to the man. I should know, I was one.

I saw the video, and I don't think the situation was handled well on either side.
angi
imanewbie

Post by angi »

The guy had a shitty attitude and was non-cooperative.

Those aren't things to do when the cops come up to you. DUH.

He was causing a scene and antagonized the cops. He probably will sue and win millions.

Although the cops were being retarded and escalated a situation that could have been handled in a manner as to not call attention to the dude. Seeing all those people crowd up, those cops were asking for people to start fighting them and having a real nasty situation on hand.

The cops, campus ninnys, etc over at UCLA are known for being total asshats anyway. Like giving you a parking ticket even when you paid.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

42ndEndOfTheWorld wrote:
I agree with above statement, but there are a few more things to consider here:

(1) A job of the police was either to trow him out or to arrest him. They never tried to arrest him. And, according to eyewitness he was already leaving when they grabbed him, thus actually PREVENTING him from leaving. That university has a policy that you don't need an ID before 11 o'clock (or something), so it is possible that he came before that and stayed longer than he should (he was an actual student).

(2) they tasered him multiple times before telling him to stand up. It is a bit hard to stand up when you are in that condition. They tasered him several times for no good reason, then asked him to do something impossible, then tasered him a few more thimes because he failed to do impossible task that they asked him to do.

(3) I don't think that it was all that hard for three people to just trow him out without making a scene (I mean it is a library not a friggin' war zone and the guy was not agressive or anything).

edited for grammar. also improved some points a bit
Bullshit.

Cops dont taser people for the hell of it, they do it when people arent cooperating. You can stand and walk after being tased, I have seen people do it, even after getting hit multiple times. The cops shouldn't have to tell someone to do something more than once or twice, the kid was a fucking moron.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

so yes, the kid was a fucking moron, but the cops were fucking ridiculous. they overreacted. at the end some guy was giving the cop some shit (not touching him or anything) and the cop said something like "you wanna get tasered too?" like it wasnt so bad and they had every right to for weak reasons.

i thought this was terrible. i dont really give a shit if this guy was a dick or not, they should not have used that much force. given, that guy probably wasnt supposed to be there and should have just did what the cops said, but common man, i think its pretty weak that the cops just tased him without giving it a second thought. this shit is so fucking stupid. both sides are idiots.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

meh i'll side with the cops on this issue. cops have to udergo being tasered so they know what it is like (though pain threshholds are different for everyone). the cops probably didnt feel like picking him up physically and wanted to taser him into submission.

this was the best reponse to a response to a response video about the subject. clear, well thought out, reminds me a little bit of psi lol
Finito

Post by Finito »

Incompetent cops my gawd, taser!? What for!? They were at least 3 cops!!! 3v1!? Total retards... arent they trained at restraining someone whos not dangerous at alll without the use of a taser...
Their are tons of ugly situation cops could get into and for a simple uncooperating student they had to use a taser? like 10 times!?

What will happen when theyll be infront of a guy holding a knife? They will use their cars to run him over? That situation was so ridiculous...

A total shame to the police forces...
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

You think being a cop is so easy you become one.
Punk ass little nerds, ''What's your budge number''. 124456blowme
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

while the annoy the shit out of me, I appreciate the extreme's of politics because they argue for things i'm much to lazy and busy to do.
Finito

Post by Finito »

ShinigamiGuts wrote:You think being a cop is so easy you become one.
Punk ass little nerds, ''What's your budge number''. 124456blowme
Your totally uncalled insult and retarded answer, also the failure to see what I meant is proof of your uselessness in real life... I wont blow you because you forgot to ask nicely, but dont get desperate, there are other members here who would blow you even if asked without any manners.

Being a cop is not easy, but restraining someone without a taser when you are 3v1 and trained to do it and most probably more physical than the student is easy and I could have done it alone yes.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

It's not so much restraining him, it's getting him to cooperate with out having to carry him out.
Finito

Post by Finito »

He didnt cooperate more after the 5 first taser shots, why bother with 10 more? Simply carrying him out would have done the job better. Instead of that they continued to taser him many times while dragging him out...
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Beat his ass, sprinkle some crack on him. Job well done. :thumb:
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

dont forget to inject some heroine into his system for some icing on the coke...er i mean cake
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Finito wrote:Your totally uncalled insult and retarded answer, also the failure to see what I meant is proof of your uselessness in real life... I wont blow you because you forgot to ask nicely, but dont get desperate, there are other members here who would blow you even if asked without any manners.

Being a cop is not easy, but restraining someone without a taser when you are 3v1 and trained to do it and most probably more physical than the student is easy and I could have done it alone yes.
Cops tend to avoid getting physical with people, they dont know if people will fight back or not, some people have martial arts training, it could escalate into the perp assaulting a police officer or grabbing their gun. There is a long list of things that could happen, its best to not give them the opportunity.