Kentaro Muira is a Sexist Bastard

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

swallow
notanewb

Kentaro Muira is a Sexist Bastard

Post by swallow »

I'd totally forgotten the reason why Caska and Guts fell into the gorge after the fight with Corbowitz, and believe me when I came across it again it really pissed me off.

Having Caska loose her cool just because she's having her period is the most idiotic reason I ever heard. That would put her on the same level as those fat women hawking painkillers on TV ("My fat gives me pain so I have to fucking constantly take painkillers to live my daily life" - thank you very much Mrs Kieran Perkins). She's gonna get blood on her clothes anyway so it's not like its that big a deal. Getting a fever because of it - come on - understandable when she's pulled out of the water, but not before. The biggest problem (other than getting killed or maimed) on the battlefield I would assume would be when you need to take a dump - now that would be a real pain in the ass (anyone know if there's been any solution to this in modern warfare out of interest?). Caska's a bloody great soldier, there would be no way in hell things would have turned out the way they did.

I realise that most of you (men) ARE sexist bastards as well, but goddamn. I think I'm going to toddle off now to find someone I hate to throw up around in some sort of fantastical fashion.

Edit: Satire Piece, you have been warned. -- psi29a
Procrastination at its finest.
inkthinker
Found the Edit button

Post by inkthinker »

Well... cramps and heavy bleeding could make a difference on the battlefield, I think. For some women, menstruation can be physically harsh... I don't know if it would be enough to really affect your performance at stressful, complex, life-threatening physical activity. Perhaps more could be inferred by asking female athletes how they deal with it.

Mind you, I'm a guy... but having lived with women for about 10 years now, I know at least a little about the symptoms (if not the experience)... at least enough to know when to stay low for a week.

:D

On the topic of battlefield bathroom issues... you just do it where you stand. I mean, when it comes down to blades biting flesh, maiming and death all around, I think embarrassment over shitting your pants falls very low on the list of concerns.

I don't recall a lot of stories about taking a crap (I should think that fear tenses you up a bit), but plenty of stories about peeing down your leg. Did you think the whole "naked under the kilt" thing was just a fashion statement? Kilts are very utilitarian.

:roll:
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

The title of this thread was a little uncalled for. Hell, if I bled through my genitals for days I'd probably get sick and fall off a cliff too.

Seriously though, are you suggesting that in an age where many died through the common cold, that something like this is an impossibility? Besides, it's Berserk and anything can happen - even something like this. That little event led to Guts and Caska becoming closer and then the 100 man fight. I'm glad it happened.
wotjesus
imanewbie

Post by wotjesus »

I hate it when the opposite sex (not just from my male point of view) assumes sexism to be the underlying cause of any situation.

"Uh oh, even though I'm bleeding, stressed, feverish, undergoing a hormonal imbalance, hell, all that aside, I'm standing at the edge of a cliff and defending myself from cavalry, it's totally impossible for me to fall off this cliff."

No.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I thought she was also suffering from a wound. i rewatched the anime at least and saw something that looked like a wound...of course it could have been her bloody vag...but w.e lol.

and its not necessarily Miura who is sexist it COULD just be the way life is on the battle field :roll:
swallow
notanewb

Post by swallow »

EnglishJim wrote:The title of this thread was a little uncalled for. Hell, if I bled through my genitals for days I'd probably get sick and fall off a cliff too.
I'm using the term "sexist bastard" in the most liberal of ways. I find many song lyrics and whatnot offensive but that doesn't stop me from buying the artist's albums. I find a lot of literature, maybe not offensive, but at least mildly irritating, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying them. My point is that it was a shit poor excuse to get them to fall off the cliff in that manner, and in my opinion not the way Caska would behave.

And yeah, when women have their period, it might be blood, but it ain't really bleeding when there isn't a wound. Women who constantly harp on either have: a) another medical condition; or b) are whiney shits complaining for the sake of complaining. Not that I don't reserve my right to bitch, lash out and go violent.

In my book almost ALL men are sexist bastards. Even Psi, who gives the impression of a plush, cutesy teddy bear with puppy-dog eyes (and rather sharp teeth) has on various posts shown what he keeps for the most part circumspect. Even if half the time you don't say it when us girls are around, we know you're all sick bastards. Just in the same way I'm probably a sexist bastard the other way round.

Still shits me at time tho' - and it's still a flaw in this instance. :evil:
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Congratulations, you finally made me register after at least 2 years of reading this forum.

If you're a woman, I'm sure you've heard of premenstrual syndrome (PMS).

http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/pms.htm

Even though I'm a guy, I hear enough about it to know what it can do to a person. Even my sister needs to have a day or two off school and take pain-killers when it gets bad enough.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

wait...post menstral syndrome? dont you mean Prehistoric Monster Syndrome? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCwKbUVyHLY

edit: now THAT'S sexist :P
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I thought most feminists would appreciate Casca's character in Berserk. She's strong, independent, self confident, and she's a leader. Yes, biology could be a bitch, but that was a plot device that was used in order to further develop her character, explain her attraction to Griffith and why she's willing to go to war. It also set up the intimacy and began the relationship between Casca and Guts. Casca was different from the women in those times, women belonged in the kitchen those days, it was scarce to see a woman in the battlefield. As you have said, Casca is a bloody great soldier, which is why she has the immense respect of her comrades.

I thought that scene was one of the climaxes in the golden age arc.

On the note that Miura is sexist, I don't think so. You have Schierke and Farnese, who are hardly useless and needs protecting, well, except for the latter case, but her character has developed strongly throughout the story, and she was written as her character.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
swallow
notanewb

Post by swallow »

Wow! There's all these men out there leaping out to defend those whiney pain in the ass people who complain about EVERY LITTLE THING (and I'm not just talking about women).

Being angsty and annoying from being uncomfortable isn't a medical condition. Most of the time when I get in a funk I just try to work my anger off at the gym. By the sounds of it I should just get angry and rag on people all the time being a complete and utter bitch (I'm sure it'll be more fun) and they won't mind. (Damn I wish there were more women on this forum.)

There are dozens of ways to fall off a cliff Eldo, Muira just chose that one. And yeah, I did like Caska's character, which in a way I consider it defending her honor, or some jazz like that. :wink:
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

This is great, Mirua was just trying to show that women have more problems than men do... I never thought about woman on the battle field in the Middle ages (probably because there wasnt many) let alone this day and age... I know women are out there in the army and what not how do they deal with this problem, midole or something... I know you meant the title in the liberal sense but come on slandering Miura, shame on you :evil:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

swallow wrote:There are dozens of ways to fall off a cliff Eldo, Muira just chose that one. And yeah, I did like Caska's character, which in a way I consider it defending her honor, or some jazz like that. :wink:
For me, that scene demonstrates her weakness as a woman on a biological point of view. In my opinion, it is nearly impossible to have Casca fall of a cliff. She's an extremely skilled fighter, and the opponent she was fighting at the time was a clown. Not many people can match her skill, with the exception of Guts and Griffith. There had to be some way to hinder her skill as a fighter, and Miura just choose that to show a biological disadvantage, and also to show that she is a woman at the same time. At that point of the story everyone thought she was a tomboy, Miura just decided to put a more feminine side to her, with that scene and the story leading up to it.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Slash_T_Ironman
imanewbie

Post by Slash_T_Ironman »

Hey, if you're going to moan about something being unrealistic in Berserk, why not move on to some of the OTHER biological impossibilities, eh? Like the metamorphosis Apostles go through in a matter of seconds. Or the fact that Zodd manages to have wings when he needs them, but when he doesn't they simply vanish. How impossible does an uncommonly inhibiting menstruation sound now?

And you've forgotten one of the most important rules of comics/manga: There aren't any reasons, just excuses. If you went around trying to find the sense in things, then you missed the point of reading it.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Lady, you might menstruate and do not get angsty. But don't try to think you know how Casca should have reacted... she was in a fucking battlefield, FIGHTING (a thing I'm quite aware you DON'T know), she was pissed off because Griffith was infatuated with the princess, and she was losing space to Gatts.

So please, she's not 'PMSing and angsty because of that'. Casca it's a lot more developed than that. Don't be that simplistic :)

On a side note, I took part of a fencing competition once, and was desperate with stomache aches. The ones you have to go to a freaking bathroom and spend all your day there. Well, my legs were trembling, I was sweating, and was terribly irritated with everything. Mind you, I'm a man and used to the stress of competition.

Just because you have one thing in common with her don't mean you can understand the rest ;)

Oh, and please - internet has no tone. My post is not an attack on you! :)

EDIT:
Slash_T_Ironman wrote:Hey, if you're going to moan about something being unrealistic in Berserk, why not move on to some of the OTHER biological impossibilities, eh? Like the metamorphosis Apostles go through in a matter of seconds. Or the fact that Zodd manages to have wings when he needs them, but when he doesn't they simply vanish. How impossible does an uncommonly inhibiting menstruation sound now?

And you've forgotten one of the most important rules of comics/manga: There aren't any reasons, just excuses. If you went around trying to find the sense in things, then you missed the point of reading it.
Great post :) *golf clap*
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

I'vebeen in war, so yes the situation places you in a state of extreme duress that a menstruating woman wouldn't be able to handle. Period. In the case of having topoop in a combat situation, you just went in your trousers. Then when you got to where you could clean up, you'd do your best to clean up. Alot of people think the army no women in combat policy is sexist based. Nope. It's because in combat you can go months without a proper shower, and woman's genitals are a more hospitable ground for pathogens and fungii than mens are.

As far as Muira's mysogony goes, I don't believe he's sexist and has simply shown the challenges to women as well as men. Actually most of his named female characters are either strong from the go, or find their strength.
Bow to Golbez
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Some of the strongest characters in the manga are women. Remember the prostitutes, their characters were wonderful, even if they could never lift a sword.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
wotjesus
imanewbie

Post by wotjesus »

Not that I need to destroy you anymore, but I feel like I might as well.

Another reason for Casca acting 'strange' around Gattz after falling off the cliff, was that she was in love with him at that point, or at least had some feelings for him. Trying to cover or deny those feelings right in front of the person those feelings are directed at can be sufficiently akward, hence her 'strange' actions.

But of course, Miura, all men, even all male organisms are sexist bastards. And come on, if something offends/irritates you, yet you still enjoy it, quit complaining.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Sortep wrote:I'vebeen in war, so yes the situation places you in a state of extreme duress that a menstruating woman wouldn't be able to handle. Period. In the case of having topoop in a combat situation, you just went in your trousers. Then when you got to where you could clean up, you'd do your best to clean up. Alot of people think the army no women in combat policy is sexist based. Nope. It's because in combat you can go months without a proper shower, and woman's genitals are a more hospitable ground for pathogens and fungii than mens are.
Thanks for the insight there sortep, I knew that you would come and shead some light my question.
Sortep wrote:As far as Muira's mysogony goes, I don't believe he's sexist and has simply shown the challenges to women as well as men. Actually most of his named female characters are either strong from the go, or find their strength.
My thoughts exactly :)
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
luciferian
Mastered PM

Re: Kentaro Muira is a Sexist Bastard

Post by luciferian »

swallow wrote:I'd totally forgotten the reason why Caska and Guts fell into the gorge after the fight with Corbowitz, and believe me when I came across it again it really pissed me off.

Having Caska loose her cool just because she's having her period is the most idiotic reason I ever heard. That would put her on the same level as those fat women hawking painkillers on TV ("My fat gives me pain so I have to fucking constantly take painkillers to live my daily life" - thank you very much Mrs Kieran Perkins). She's gonna get blood on her clothes anyway so it's not like its that big a deal. Getting a fever because of it - come on - understandable when she's pulled out of the water, but not before. The biggest problem (other than getting killed or maimed) on the battlefield I would assume would be when you need to take a dump - now that would be a real pain in the ass (anyone know if there's been any solution to this in modern warfare out of interest?). Caska's a bloody great soldier, there would be no way in hell things would have turned out the way they did.

I realise that most of you (men) ARE sexist bastards as well, but goddamn. I think I'm going to toddle off now to find someone I hate to throw up around in some sort of fantastical fashion.
are you pmsing?!?
jeez, let it be. Its a freaking comic.
Im a woman and I dun give sh!t about what happens in it. The manga/anime is not about Casca, its about Gattsu. Its Shonen...>>... well Adult guy manga. It was written for them. But I frigin love it. And Also, in Japanese culture, women are still looked down on, so get a life and read up on some cultural factoids ^^

>>... damn I actually logged in for this after how many months/yr?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Actually Berserk isnt shonen.....

Just cause Miura wanted to show Casca more human doesnt mean he is sexist.

She is a warrior but still a female in a mans worlds of eternal battles.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Libaax wrote:She is a warrior but still a female in a mans worlds of eternal battles.
Very poetic.

I was waiting for a women to comment and it seems luciferian agrees with the guys. You said Caska's period was a shit-poor excuse for her to fall off the cliff, but it also seems your reason for calling Miura a sexist bastard was a shit-poor excuse also. The End.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

wow... logic 1 the english 0
Bow to Golbez
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Sortep wrote:wow... logic 1 the english 0
I don't know what you mean by that. Elaborate...

Edit: Hmm...Perhaps It wasn't clear what I said in that post. That last sentence was aimed @ swallow. That clear things up?
Last edited by EnglishJim on Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaey-Shi
imanewbie

Post by Kaey-Shi »

you know... berserk "plays" in the midle ages... whereas this "problem" was much different then nowdays and woman handled this problem differently.
one could wonder why only then and not sometime earlyr in the manga? or after again? (every month, come one) - but that doesnt matter, it is miuras story, and he does with it what he wants! (even if there could be a new chap sometime soon... - but thats beside the point)

what is interesting is the reaction of the male population in this forum to this post.
shure, males dont know how it is at such a time ( as well as they will never know how it is to be pregnant and that stuff) but still, - i think its ok

and i dont think its a bad topic, because sometimes women get the "short stick around here" - let females bitch too!

-----------
wow... after a loo~ng time a post... kindred spirits luciferian?
"Normality is vastly overrated, and by definition relative."

changing something
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Woah, after reading all of this I just have to say, I hate extremist feminists and Miura is just one person and is a guy. It is almost impossible to know what the other gender thinks unless you are the opposing gender. Caska is one of the greatest manga characters just because she's so real in strengths and weaknessses. She is one of the greatest swordsmen out there, but she is not that strong emotionally. That could be why she fell off the cliff.

Also, Caska is a very strong female character living in the 1500s, the medicine and food was really bad back then so sicknessses and illnesses were maxed out back then so when the menstrual cycle comes, it's gonna be a bigger bitch then it is now.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM