Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Cerillian
imanewbie

Post by Cerillian »

I noticed that you guys don't want cross mythos vs discussions on your forum, but I wonder if you would be willing to look at a link to a forum that does just that? I think the GOTFT (Great Off Topic Forum Tournament) could use a few more of Gut's fans next time he comes up, and you guys seem to be articulate, knowledgeable, and rational about your fandom, which is just perfect. Not to mention that I'm sure some of you would know a good deal about some of the other contenders.

But anyway, would there be any interest in a link, or should I hush up and go away?
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

Hey, do we know how Rickert joined the original band of the hawk?
Gundam_Bobcat
Mastered PM

Post by Gundam_Bobcat »

I think they never really tell why he did.

I could be wrong though, I'll have to look through the older volumes.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

I can't remember seeing any background info on him. It's the same for Pippin. I know Corkus was formerly the leader of a group of thieves.

I think all that was said is that they all gathered under Griffith because of his ambition and charisma.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I'm pretty sure that Corkus, Caska and Judea (I probably mispelled that, I don't have the manga on hand) are the only members we get back story on. Pippen and Rickert's backgrounds aren't really gone into.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

There's something I've been wondering about for quite a while now. During the whole thing in Qliphoth and the troll cave, Slan appears to Guts. After a short fight she offers him the chance to make a sacrifice.

What I don't get is, how can Guts make a sacrifice? He is a sacrifice. If he could become an apostle, what would he give up? You might say Caska, but she has already been branded an offering to Griffith. There were the others - Schierke and co. but I'm not so sure they were dear to him at the time. The only other thing I can think of that he cared about was the Dragonslayer! If it has to be a soul, I guess it would be Erica, Puck or Rickert.

Anyways, does the story contradict itself here or what?
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

I had the same doubt but if I recall well Gatts has a Behelit ( the green behelit ) but he handed it over to the SK , and that time when the dog/fox spirit said to Gatts to invoke the God-hand ( I guess when he said to Gatts if at the end of the battle he still be fighting as human ) .That green behelit is a total mystery to me , ( you know those things always come back to the owner , that if Gatts were choosed by the Behelit ) .
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I don't think she was being entirely serious there. Slann already knew that there was no chance Guts would make a sacrifice. Mind you, if he was willing she'd probably be thrilled, and I'm sure she could work something out (she's a God's Hand, after all), but she didn't believe for a second that he would. She was just having fun, at his expense.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

I know Guts couldn't have made a sacrifice right there, they weren't even on a plane where the eclipse could take place. Slan does say she came there of her own accord and that she was not summoned through the Snake Baron's behilit.

She probably was teasing, but I came accross it while re-reading the manga (waiting for the next chapter) and it had me thinking. The story would tie itself up if he could become an apostle because he's already met his destiny as a sacrifice. Still though, I'd always wondered what Guts would look like if he did. Now that's something I'd like to see in the Fan Art section :) .
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Personally, I think Slann was taunting him. She was feeding off his rage and hate, so she was trying to provoke him.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I agree that she was taunting him, because she knows perfectly well that there's no chance he could become an Apostle. Not that they might not be thrilled to take him, and think he was worthy of being one, but she knows perfectly well that there's nothing they could offer him he would accept. Even without the Eclipse, they have nothing he could want (consider the nature of his dream, and how they always step in to restore a person's dream) so it wouldn't happen. She was just having fun, because she thinks he's a fascinating individual.
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

More importantly, back to the subject EnglishJim raised: What Guts would look like as an apostle. It would almost definitely be based off his "inner demon". . .I'm also rather interested in what he'd look like while in "human" form. I guess you could take the classic pose of him with a clenched-teeth grin and just exaggerate it a little more, then have that be his normal expression...
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

In his demonic state I guess he'd look like the Beast Of Darkness. In vol. 23 he finds Caska naked after she ran way. Guts then loses it for a moment and sees the Beast rip her apart (nasty!). That's how I imagine he'd look.

"Human" form?...The higher tier apostles, like Zodd and Grunbeld, just seem to have the strange eyes and spiky teeth. I don't think they change that much from their previous human appearence. The Count would be a good example of this, but, say, Wyald is different. He was an old man when he used the behilit, so perhaps his youth was given to him too. As for Guts, maybe he'd get his arm and his eye back, but I couldn't see him changing too much from the way he is now.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

We haven't really gotten enough of a selection to have a good idea of how much the "human" appearence of Apostles changes when they make the sacrifice, but it probably doesn't change all that much (Wyald probably looked about the same as when he was younger), but it might also be interesting to wonder how big Guts Apostle form would be. The size apostles other form is seems fairly random, but couldn't you just imagine a wolf-thing that was bigger then a battleship? Now that would be cool.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

I think their personality and battle style as a human have bearing on the way they appear as an apostle. Grunbeld in his "human" form is just raw crushing power and he's heavily armored. Once changed he's a huge dragon with a corundum hide. Locus is agile, always mounted and likes to keep enemies at a distance and I think his apostle form reflects that.

Guts has huge strength and is actually very quick (well, as quick as you can be with a Dragonslayer), so I could imagine him the way you say Istvan. But...If it did turn out like that, the whole world would become dog food. The only thing that could challenge him would be the God Hand and it would take a joined effort...No, I can't say that as we haven't seen the full extent of their power and I think the members of the God Hand can change size at will (seen in the eclipse). All we can do is make guesses :? ...
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

so you guys think that Wylad looked like a retarded gorilla by nature?
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Yeah, he did look like some sorta goofy chimp, but there're some wierder looking dudes in Berserk. That midget who tortured Griffith and kept his tongue as a trophy...
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

for a second there I couldn't think of any other...but then I remembered Mozgus and his gang...the guy looked like a totem pole...no wonder surrounded himself with other freaks

still, I say the human form of the apostles does get altered
the only one who doesn't look any wierder is Locus
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Well, they seem to change at least a little bit afterwards, but it can't be too huge a change since people who knew them before they changed still recognize them afterwards. So I'd say that they're at the least pretty similiar looking.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

There is so much miss information here I dont even want to try and clear it up... but I will anyway :twisted:

The beheilt was the Counts (Slug Apostle), and I dont remember Slan asking for a scarfice from Guts but if Eldo says so I guess its there. and Guts never gave the Skull Knight the green beheilt he still has it as far as I know... and as for the changes in form yes when they use the beheilt there natural form changes to I dont know if its just how they see them selfs or how they want other to see them... until they want to kill them then they show them there "proper" form
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Oh yeah, it is the Count's...I remember him taking the Snake Baron's in the anime and got mixed up :? ...
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Ok guys don't take this bad .
Eldo do you know if Berserk is coming to December's Young Animal issue ? . :lol:
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

I think he once said no, and I think this answer is enough to punish you for your useless question! Get back to your cell :evil: !
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Oh man I rather preffer some flaming instead of that horrible news :(
*gets inside his cell and close the door* :(
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Gattsblackfalcon wrote: Eldo do you know if Berserk is coming to December's Young Animal issue ? . :lol:
I mentioned it in the chapter 279 thread.

If it's going to come out soon, you'll see it.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am