Live Action Series: Shinsengumi

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Live Action Series: Shinsengumi

Post by Brainpiercing »

I've started downloading and watching this. Unfortunately the quality is so-so, the sound is really bad, but Tokyo TV actually aired this with English subtitles, so it is possible to watch.

And I have to say, the show is really quite good. The production value is very adequate - not movie standard, but good, and the acting is good, too. It's not a purely action oriented show, but they have some nice fights for a series, very Kendo-style, not over the top at all.
It's definitely worth watching. I found it on mininova, all eps. I recommend anyone looking for something new to watch to download it, too.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I've reached the point where they actually become the Shinsengumi. (Yes, that was some dedicated watching of 25 eps.) The order of events was changed a bit from history, but the general facts were there. Watching that part was quite frustrating for me, because it's hard to understand how a group who set out to become true bushi who are better than hereditary samurai can suddenly turn into a band of murderers. The guy they finally killed deserved it all the way, but the way they did it just defies all the values they are supposedly fighting for.

Or maybe the initial story just sets up the main characters to be too good.

I hope some of you pick this up as well and tell me your opinions. It's an excellent show, and can easily keep up with any anime series out there.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I think I'll check this out when I get a chance. ;)