Black Lagoon

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

does the anime or manga follow each other?
its hard to picture rock as a badass dude.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I'd love to read the manga, is it being scanlated somewhere? (Lazy question, I know.)
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Quest wrote:does the anime or manga follow each other?
its hard to picture rock as a badass dude.
The anime was too good to be just an anime only story, it follows the manga and it´s a very faithful adaptation albeit a little censured (just alittle), Revy kills alot more people in the manga and on the episode where she jumps boat to boat killing everyone, she does it while singing "Electric head Pt 1", a Rob Zombie song and Shooter, one from Red Nex.
I'd love to read the manga, is it being scanlated somewhere? (Lazy question, I know.)
Yes it is.

http://oneko2.ath.cx/akatsuki/
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

11 and 12 are out by some substitute subbers. The sub quality is pretty dodgy, in that they are obviously not native english speakers (well, the subs are around hong kong movie quality). The eps were nice, even though we have the mysterious knife-throwing girl who is better than any gun user again.

And I'm quite concerned that the final ep will now seemingly be just a single piece of story, without finishing an important arc. Or is the show going longer afterall?
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

ah, i forgot to thank you deathbringer for commenting on the manga and providing links!
i will take a look at the manga sooner or later.
thanks a ton!
=)

yea, brain, i noticed the subs by "your mom" some time ago. i was pretty skeptical about their quality so i resisted the urge to download them.
i think 12 is the last ep. and i read that there will be a second season so thats good news.
the anime is probably a series of arcs rather than telling an ultimate plot, hence a non-climatic last ep. i like the series a lot and look forward to 11 and 12 by shinsen soon.

=p
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

11 and 12 are out by some substitute subbers. The sub quality is pretty dodgy, in that they are obviously not native english speakers (well, the subs are around hong kong movie quality). The eps were nice, even though we have the mysterious knife-throwing girl who is better than any gun user again.
Just saw those "hong kong" subs (nice comparison, hehe), could be worse considering some subtitles were atop each other.
The storyline was nice, Revy just condraditced her words by saving Rock when she didn´t need too, nice too see that he´s really part of the gang now, although that chinese chick seemed to "omnipotent" for my taste killing 20 guys in a row in running cars.
And I'm quite concerned that the final ep will now seemingly be just a single piece of story, without finishing an important arc. Or is the show going longer afterall?
Yeah, they annoucend the second season awhile ago, i think they were waiting for the DVD sales or something to confirm that.
ah, i forgot to thank you deathbringer for commenting on the manga and providing links!
i will take a look at the manga sooner or later.
thanks a ton!
=)
No problem, the manga´s worth it, the omakes at the end are pretty funny.

Cool thing about this manga is that each time Revy is in a non-english speaking place, she always gets her lines tranlated since she doesn´t know what the hell the others are saying.

http://img422.imageshack.us/my.php?image=040422mx.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/ ... 756001.jpg

That's not a scanlation, they´re raws. It's like that in many places throughout the manga. Revy aparently only speaks English. The other guy there is Rock, who's a translator Revy's group hires. The mangaka writes her dialogue in Japanese when it's just her, the translator, her group, and any other English language-capable character in the scene, but it's assumed that they're all speaking English, but the mangaka didn't feel he had to write them all into English.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

thats a deviation from the anime. in 11, we explictly know that revy speaks in japanese. its interesting in the manga that she only knows english.
i am downloading the manga now!

back to the anime, revy and rock obviously have some kind of a love-hate relationship going on. outwardly they despise each other but i think deep down its love.
=P
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

back to the anime, revy and rock obviously have some kind of a love-hate relationship going on. outwardly they despise each other but i think deep down its love.
=P
Their would-be relationship showed one of the things i like about Black Lagoon. It never keeps characters static; they evolve along with the show. By the end of the first series, Revy has allowed her emotional and compassionate side more freedom. Her voluntary rescue of Rock in the last episode despite having nothing to gain from it showed the extent to which she cares for Rock. Rock, on the otherhand, has also evolved from a spineless man to one who refuses to spill secrets even at gunpoint. He has earned himself a newfound sense of pride from Revy. They are two different characters, conflicting each other, but dependent on each other. The "love-hate" relationship Revy and Rock share catch much attention from my part, they complete each other in a way.

Can´t wait for the next season.

Edit: episode 12 was released by Shinsen, story makes more sense now with Ibraha and that weird jap goals.

And it looks like Revy got herself in trouble in New York.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syWxwhQGHq0
[/youtube]

I think this trailer shows more blood than the entire first season.

Best thing about it is that the animation is alot better.

Sorry about the shit quality of the trailer by the way.

Edit: Found a much better version, only problem is this stupid bitch that doesnt shut the hell up in the begining.
Last edited by Deathbringer on Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Don't say sorry about anything, this is great as a heads-up. The animation looks really sweet, even through the bad quality video, it's got to be even better when you see it first-hand.

I'm looking forward to this.
Brainpiercing
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Second Season has started. Shinsen picked it up. I'm waiting for my DL to finish :).
Brainpiercing
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Wow, Talk about your vampiric, incest loving, necrophiliac, killer loli-shotas, the chick wanted to fuck the corpse and said that had done it before.

I laughed when i saw Gretel firing that BAR with no recoil what-so-ever.

Balalaika turned out to be a very emotional person for a mafia leader, this in turn makes her ruthless, it doesn´t matter how good her relationship with Black Lagoon is, she ordered to get them killed if they got in the crossfire, what a bitch.

Also, DRACURA IS ALIVE!!!
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

Black Lagoon is great, I really had no idea it was an actual anime till a few weeks back (saw some fanwork, thought it was something original)
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I'm not entirely sure I like this development. Those twins are classic anime bad guys, so far Black Lagoon got away without classic anime bad guys. I was hoping that this would stay a gritty show without magic (rather, too much magic, we already had the terminatress) and the usual anime content in it.

Oh well, I'll be watching it, of course.
Brainpiercing
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Damn Ep. 15 was awesome again.
Brainpiercing
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Brainpiercing wrote:I'm not entirely sure I like this development. Those twins are classic anime bad guys, so far Black Lagoon got away without classic anime bad guys. I was hoping that this would stay a gritty show without magic (rather, too much magic, we already had the terminatress) and the usual anime content in it.
Yeah, i was alittle fearful of that too, that´s why i was laughing at a 12 year old girl/boy/whatever (I dont know) firing a BAR like it´s nothing but apparently they´re the only "magical anime stereotype" that appear in the original manga story but i like how the story turned out, those kids were not super heroes or anything like that ( ok, maybe alittle), they mostly had the element of surprise mostly.
About episode 15, I was expecting for the other twin to die just like the other so i was kinda surprised to see her getting away from Balalaika, 5 second later that random old guy blowed her brains out....ouch.

One thing that i like about Hiroe is that he likes to use real life situations to explain the motives of his characters, that touch of reality is always a plus for me.

Ok, so next it´s the conterfeit money arc and after that it´s the Yakuza arc, by far the biggest arc in Black Lagoon and one very important for Revy and Rock it seems.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I don't read the manga, so don't start spoilering.
Brainpiercing
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Told you everything i know, don´t know the story myself but i´m looking forward for it.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

You were not spoilering yet, I just wanted to make sure it stayed that way.

I'm still pretty excited about this show, though. The only thing I don't get is how supposed crack shots like Revy and Eda can not hit someone at such a short distance as those kids came to them.
Brainpiercing
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Brainpiercing wrote:You were not spoilering yet, I just wanted to make sure it stayed that way.
Don´t worry, i don´t like to be spoiled so i don´t do that to others.
Brainpiercing wrote:I'm still pretty excited about this show, though. The only thing I don't get is how supposed crack shots like Revy and Eda can not hit someone at such a short distance as those kids came to them.
For the sake of the plot?

They didn´t even tried really, they didn´t fired one shot fired against the twins when the Russians came in.

But it looks like the next episode will be a Nun hard episode, plenty of chances of a gun fight.[/quote]
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

It's up to ep. 19 now, and they are in Japan, like you said, for the Yakuza arc. Black Lagoon was always best for its character scenes, and you got some of those in that ep. Now I want MORE..... :(
Brainpiercing
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Yeah, the counterfeit money arc was awesome, it was almost non-stop action and that revelation about Eda in the end was something really unexpected, it does seem to be a prelude of a pretty interesting story sooner or later. Because honestly, it caught me of guard. Will she be backstabbing Black Lagoon or other major force in Roanapur?

The Yakuza arc also looks promising so far, Revy´s opinion about Rock has never been better, she even calls him family.

And i love how basically Balalaika is now doing the same thing the twins were doing in Roanapur, and the same thing she said was annoying, senseless, etc.
The author is really going out of his way to make the japanese mafia look like honourful good guys in the middle of this.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, the yakuza is probably older than the mafia, and has been an accepted part of society for centuries, unlike any other country. They used to have codes and regulations, and made sure not to clash with the law enforcement. They were always a part of the strange order in Japan, not just a group of thugs.
Brainpiercing
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

EVERY EP is too bloody short!!!!

21 is out.
Brainpiercing
hadi
This is my new home

Post by hadi »

one of the first anime that I actually care about in a long time (since SAC 2nd GIG)
whatever was in the middle was shit. :roll: