Censorship at it's finest

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

Personally, I just think it's funny. Not "How pathetic our society is" funny, just "Heh, that's a nice solution" funny. I mean think about: Dark Horse chose to keep this gorgeous cover full of sex and violence, and they didn't cover anything up for the person who purchases the volume. Instead, they found a fairly clever solution that preserves the cover whilst giving them a product that alot of chains will still carry in their stores.

Of course, they'll probably have to wrap them in plastic as well or hormone-crazed boys will just peel the sticker off. Poor lost souls, driven mad with lust by tomes of Getbackers and Samurai Deeper Kyo. . .
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, they've always been shrink wrapped when I saw them, for the best too. Besides, would you really want that sticker directly on your cover? I've peeled them off stuff before, only to have it take the picture off too, I hate that!
Nonni
imanewbie

Post by Nonni »

Well .. I just bought vol.10 and the sticker was directly on the cover.
No problem taking them off without destroying the picture like poor Starnum did =P

As for me, I'm going to take them off. Not because I'm a "hormone-crazed" boy mainly because it's annoying keeping them there. Like a big red gum on a beautiful painting or something ..

Ps.Eclipse isn't exactly like a beautiful painting but you get my drift.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Yeah, they've always been shrink wrapped when I saw them, for the best too. Besides, would you really want that sticker directly on your cover? I've peeled them off stuff before, only to have it take the picture off too, I hate that!
Definately. Berserk is an awesome manga and all, but it is definately the sort of thing that is not appropriate for all age groups. At least, not unless you want to censor the soul out of it, and I think we're all extremely grateful that they didn't do that (like they did to some other series).
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

1)It's not stupid. Put yourself in the perspective of a manga company.

A)listen to fans bitch all day because you alternated their actual cover so you don't get sued
B)Not comply with store chains and reveal adult content so they won't sell it (why barnes and nobles sometimes does not sell 18+ manga!!!!)
C)Put a sticker on wrap package and cover the questionable parts with no lawsuits or alteration of the orginal (actual) cover.

hmmmmm

Anyways, I'm getting it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

There's nothing wrong with the sticker being on there, and I don't think anyone said there was. However, it is pretty silly that the only thing they seem to be worried about is Casca's nudity, and not all the blood, gore, and violence.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Well...they...just don't have that many stickers...
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Black plastic wrap, with the Berserk logo on the front, perhaps...
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

well the cover would certainly lose it's function of attracting curiousity...
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, I suppose your right. That's not really the point though. Although I'm not a big fan of censorship anyway, so I could do without it either way.
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

Starnum wrote:There's nothing wrong with the sticker being on there, and I don't think anyone said there was. However, it is pretty silly that the only thing they seem to be worried about is Casca's nudity, and not all the blood, gore, and violence.
Nah, people were just stating the sticker was stupid, not really saying it was wrong. I also don't find it that odd. We're neutralized to violence now. All you have to do is take a look at the hot coffee scandal in GTA SA, one little slip of clothed-sex and the whole country went berserk, so it's amazing what a pair of exposed female mammaries can do.

And to SkullKracker, I disagree. Slapping "parental advisory" over something that obvious only increases curiosity (besides, most store chains I know don't throw their manga out cover first, they're usually ordered by the spine).
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

female mammeries, FTW!
Farla
imanewbie

Post by Farla »

It's supposed to only be a sticker. When I was at the Darkhorse panel at Anime Central this year, this cover was brought to attention and somebody asked how exactly they were going to deal with it. The rep said that they didn't want to do any editing to the actual novel so instead they would just put a sticker on it (on the plastic if possible).
Jon Maitreya
notanewb

Post by Jon Maitreya »

Speaking of volume 13, has anyone got it yet? The Dark Horse website has it as released, but it won't be out in England for like a month :P. How is it?
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

Jon Maitreya wrote:Speaking of volume 13, has anyone got it yet? The Dark Horse website has it as released, but it won't be out in England for like a month :P. How is it?
I was hoping to pick it up two-three weeks ago, but Waldenbooks in the mall (Texas) didn't have it yet, so I have to wait till they do.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

You could always order it, I seem to recall that Walden's has a pretty good turn around on ordering things, and they don't charge any extra, or anything.
inkthinker
Found the Edit button

Post by inkthinker »

I got it. The sticker is easily removed, and didn't damage the cover at all. The interior looks excellent, and I didn't detect any attempts to edit or censor the events of this pivotal moment in the story.

I'm extra hyped now for future issues. Not only are we going to start getting them faster, but it's also nice to get back into the progressive storyline.
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

I got mine, but I'm having a hard decision of whether I should leave the sticker on or not. Don't get me wrong, I hate censorship but a lot of my friends borrow berserk and they read it at school a lot so I'm afraid it might get confiscated by the teachers.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

ryusenka wrote:I got mine, but I'm having a hard decision of whether I should leave the sticker on or not. Don't get me wrong, I hate censorship but a lot of my friends borrow berserk and they read it at school a lot so I'm afraid it might get confiscated by the teachers.
God fobid your teachers actually find out what's "inside it" can anyone say guidance councilor and parents teacher confrences for the rest of your life.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

^Hate to tell you but he's right, teachers are going to confiscate anything deemed inappropriate (I do think "Comic books" or "Graphic novels" or "inappropriate reading material") Is a definition in which berserk falls under. I'm pretty sure your teacher (or your friends') will pop that book open regardless of what's on the cover. My suggestion is tell your friends "You get caught with it, you pay me back and deny my link to it" or just let them borrow it when they can't get caught with it.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

They must not be English teachers then. Some of the books I read, in high school, that were assigned reading definitely can top Berserk in graphic content. So, if they confiscate it and it's not because you weren't paying attention, &c; then you could raise the first amendment flag and walk all over the school in court.
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

They books they assign you don't have pictures of women being raped, and dismembered I'd say.

EDIT: Says I found the edit button as of this post, so I'm using it! Booyah!
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, you don't want to get caught reading Berserk at school, heh. I used to get in worse trouble, because I'd refuse to give up my contraband. Usually it was my dice though, but sorry, you don't get those. Heh, it was funny to tell teachers no, they'd look all mad, or surprised. Bah, so you get ISS, although, it depends on what the item was on whether it was worth it or not.
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

arke wrote:They must not be English teachers then. Some of the books I read, in high school, that were assigned reading definitely can top Berserk in graphic content. So, if they confiscate it and it's not because you weren't paying attention, &c; then you could raise the first amendment flag and walk all over the school in court.
Plus you know, guys who bring comic books to high school, and share them with their friends, don't tend to get laid all too often. You might want to start hanging out with the crowd that doesn't dress like naruto if you don't want to lose your virginity to a hooker.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, not really. I read comics in school, and I'd bet money I lost my virginity before you did. Now, when you say, dress like Naruto...I'm not sure how literal you mean. However, I also wore anime shirts and shit (as well as band shirts). Now, cosplay...I couldn't tell you about that, never had that perspective. ;)