Your stance on the 3 next-gen consoles and their games.

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

this topic was doing so well. Lets not try to change or degrade what others choices are.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Malvado wrote:this topic was doing so well. Lets not try to change or degrade what others choices are.
A friendly piece if advice is just that and I don't see anything wrong with it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:Not if it dies like the Dreamcast did.
We're talking about Sony here, not Sega. In case you haven't noticed, they've dominated the gaming world since Playstation came out. You can't deny that they've sold a shit-ton of boxes. Call me gullible if you want, but they've yet to do me wrong. This is where all the games I want to play are at. Why would I go any other way?
Femto wrote:Remember dual 1080p output? Now the console might not even be able to output 1080p for games and the cheaper console cannot output 1080p at all.
What? Do you have a reliable source for this information, or are we talking speculation here? If so, please post a link, because that is a bit concerning. Regardless, I'm not buying one till next year. I'm going to give it a little time first, better safe then sorry.
Femto wrote:Wii is cheaper.

Get that and wait before you go on and throw $600 away on a PS3.
Even if I don't buy a PS3, I'm still not getting a Wii. The library of games doesn't even come close to tempting me into buying one. I usually don't like Nintendo games, but they have some good titles every now and then. In general Nintendo is fun if you don't have anything better, but not good enough for me to buy a console. I'd just as well go spend my money on something else. ;)
Malvado wrote:this topic was doing so well. Lets not try to change or degrade what others choices are.
Meh, I expected some comments when I brought my support of the PS3 to this thread. I definitely agree with you though, however, it's all good. I expected much worse actually, lol.

**edit**

Did a little reading on this 1080p issue. Now, I have to admit, I don't know jack shit about all this technical jargon, as I usually don't follow this type of stuff too closely. However, from what I understand, the PS3 can support 1080p, but buying a cable may be required; big deal. Also, it sounds like I may need an HDTV for it to even matter, which ain't gonna happen. I also read that you may not even need the cable for games, but even if you do, it's just that there's only one game with 1080p right now. However, that could totally change in the future. I mean the things not even out yet. For all we know, the majority of games could be in 1080p later on in the PS3's life-span. Also, if this thing can even pump out X-box 360 graphics, which I know it can, I'll be happy. I'm not a graphics whore. I mean I want the best I can get, but still. From what I've seen the other two aren't even offering 1080p support. However, the X-box 360 will be releasing an add-on to support it later on.

Anyway, it ultimately comes down to the software, and for me, Sony's always been where it's at. ;)
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

Post by Psycho Wolvesbane »

It's official the Nintendo Wii will be released on November 19th at $249. Still unconfirmed about the UK and Europe launch details but expect it to be just after Japan on 2nd of December.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Psycho Wolvesbane wrote:It's official the Nintendo Wii will be released on November 19th at $249. Still unconfirmed about the UK and Europe launch details but expect it to be just after Japan on 2nd of December.
*points to topic at top of page* orly!?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

In Nintendo's defence about losing the last two generation bout with Sony, it was because of the game format they used. First cartridge, and then mini-disc thingys. During the N64 and PS bout, the CD proved to be superior and a better choice than cartridges because they are inexpensive to produce, can store more information, doesn't break down as easily as cartridges, didn't have an internal battery, and most of all, it can be PIRATED. People buy console not for the console, but for the games that come on it. Now, why wasn't the Saturn as popular as the PS, despite using the CD system? Because FF7 went to Sony. FF7 is really the pioneer for the Playstation. Before then, there were games like Wipeout that wasn't really worth buying the console for. Having the popularity gained from the SNES, and the title itself actually does worth something, it was only natural that people will buy the title out with the console. Let's say, if the next FF game came out exclusively on Xbox 360, people will still buy the console along with the game (although the late FF series hasn't proven to be as great as their predecessors, and FF6 was a great title that preceded FF7 unlike recent titles). That's my logic.

Now, the PS2 and the Gamecube. The PS2 is still retaining fans from the PS, so it was only natural that people will grab it hoping that the games will still continue. Gamecube, on the other hand, is not winning any favours with its mini disc like system. It doesn't store as much as a DVD, won't play much AMVs, doesn't have a DVD system, etc. It can't be easily pirated in that format either, or 'backup' as you will. The Xbox didn't fare too well, because it doesn't really have a big market in Japan, why buy the Xbox when the PS2 works just as better, and has a larger variety of games? I'm guessing that it didn't sell well in Japan at launch because it was made by Microsoft in the US, and not from Japan. Dreamcast didn't work that well because all the games went to PS2, and there wasn't a lot of Sega fans.

Now, Wii has scrapped all that fucked up format and is with the DVD wagon now. Not only that, it will have lots of other innovative functions (I don't need to name them, you all know it by heart) compared to the other two systems. Also, the launch price is really cheap compared to PS3, meaning that more people will own the Wii. The game industry recognises this, and will create more games for it, stealing some of the PS3 limelight. It's all about profits. People who usually won't buy a console at launch will buy it now, especially when it's bundled with a game at that cheap a price, as well to test the capabilities. Sure, Wii doesn't offer muscle, but it's really the gameplay that counts. Personally, when I look at game screenshots from the consoles, I can't differentiate between them. Does it really matter about graphics that much anymore? That's not to say that Sony will be utterly defeated this round, but Wii will have a phenomenon start, and the PS3 will have a lot of catching up. People who buy PS3 will buy it because of the previous consoles' influence. Those who say they won't buy Wii will eventually buy it anyway, when 'backup' copies are avaliable there anyway, and the console is out for so cheap.

These are my opinions, I doubt anyone will read it anyway.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

Post by Psycho Wolvesbane »

I read it I just don't have anything to say for or against it.
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

For those thinking of getting a 360, maybe you should wait a bit, because there might be a new version out with a built in HD-DVD drive. That is if you're into playin movie poop :lol:

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060913A6035.html

Pretty obvious with PS3 having the Blu-Ray drive :roll:

Meh... I'll be spending my money on new HDD's anyway instead of consoles :lol:
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Someone earlier said that the ps3 is supposed to last a decade... even if that were true, that already sets a limit as to how games can be made for it. Sooner or later, xbox720 and wii2 (hypothetically) may be coming out and I don't think many will still be interested in what the ps3 is pumping out at that moment.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Why not ?

If PS3 keeps realesing good games who cares what Xbox 720 and Wii 2 does?

It was the same deal with PS2 being older while Xbox and Gamecube was newer and better but did the 100 million PS2 owners care?

Me i could care less about the console being new or old or lasting 0000 years as long Sony gives me the games i want i am with them. The day they stopp putting out good games is the day i jump over to Xbox or Wii.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

People who buy PS3 will buy it because of the previous consoles' influence.
I dont think people will buy it only becuz of that. Except for the price and thoses influences, PS3 has as much reasons to be bought than the others.
The gap of the price can be restored with the great influence theyve got compared to the others.
PS3 is considered for me to be the safe choice, theyve made good choices before so I think they will continu doing so. Asking for that price, they must be confident in themselves, I dont think theyll deceive the fans of the previous consoles.Being one of those fans, simply from what I have seen till now I think PS3 is worth those 600$ and if they were to up the price 50$ like the Wii I would still buy it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Of course i will buy PS3 cause of PS2 were the best damn console i have ever had. It gave me so many great games.

At the same time its not only that and the sequals that makes one buy PS3.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Libaax wrote:Of course i will buy PS3 cause of PS2 were the best damn console i have ever had. It gave me so many great games.

At the same time its not only that and the sequals that makes one buy PS3.
See, I don't think the PS3 is going to have the sheer number of games in contrast to the other consoles like the PS2 did, and I will explain why as briefly as possible:

1.) PSOne was the definate winner of the Saturn/PS/N64 era. Developers knew that Sony was going to come out strong with the PS2 because of the PSOne's success. Although it can be argued that PS2 won out in it's generation, it has been by a slimmer margin than the absolute juggernaut (Bitch!) that was the PSOne.

2.) Nintendo finally got their head out of their asses about 3rd party developers. It has been stated many times by officials that 3rd party games are going to be a big part of the Wii, as has been shown by Red Steel and other 3rd party games that Nintendo just can't do on it's own.

3.) The 360 is by far a bigger player in the game than the original X-Box was in it's generation. A lot of people did not think the X-Box was going to make it, partially because of it's lack of 3rd party titles from big names. But now that Microsoft has shown that it has staying power, more big names are creeping away from under the thumb of Sony and venturing out to them and Nintendo.

The Bottom Line- In the words of Steve Ballmer: Developers developers developers developers. They are going to define this console era, and it's not looking too good for Sony. They did have a number of them by the balls, but now Nintendo and Microsoft are giving them more options than they previously had.
ImageImage
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Libaax wrote:Why not ?

It was the same deal with PS2 being older while Xbox and Gamecube was newer and better but did the 100 million PS2 owners care?

Me i could care less about the console being new or old or lasting 0000 years as long Sony gives me the games i want i am with them. The day they stopp putting out good games is the day i jump over to Xbox or Wii.
Um, your example is inaccurate. In order for it to be correct, compare psx games still coming out while Xbox and Gamecube are continuing to make games. In that case, I think it would be hard for psx to have kept up. I think if they had to pretty much every game would've had to be at mgs or ffvii caliber. Sounds tough to me.

The gap b/w ps2 and xbox/gamecube is definitely less than a decade.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:In Nintendo's defence about losing the last two generation bout with Sony, it was because of the game format they used. First cartridge, and then mini-disc thingys. During the N64 and PS bout, the CD proved to be superior and a better choice than cartridges because they are inexpensive to produce, can store more information, doesn't break down as easily as cartridges, didn't have an internal battery, and most of all, it can be PIRATED. People buy console not for the console, but for the games that come on it. Now, why wasn't the Saturn as popular as the PS, despite using the CD system? Because FF7 went to Sony. FF7 is really the pioneer for the Playstation. Before then, there were games like Wipeout that wasn't really worth buying the console for. Having the popularity gained from the SNES, and the title itself actually does worth something, it was only natural that people will buy the title out with the console. Let's say, if the next FF game came out exclusively on Xbox 360, people will still buy the console along with the game (although the late FF series hasn't proven to be as great as their predecessors, and FF6 was a great title that preceded FF7 unlike recent titles). That's my logic.

Now, the PS2 and the Gamecube. The PS2 is still retaining fans from the PS, so it was only natural that people will grab it hoping that the games will still continue. Gamecube, on the other hand, is not winning any favours with its mini disc like system. It doesn't store as much as a DVD, won't play much AMVs, doesn't have a DVD system, etc. It can't be easily pirated in that format either, or 'backup' as you will. The Xbox didn't fare too well, because it doesn't really have a big market in Japan, why buy the Xbox when the PS2 works just as better, and has a larger variety of games? I'm guessing that it didn't sell well in Japan at launch because it was made by Microsoft in the US, and not from Japan. Dreamcast didn't work that well because all the games went to PS2, and there wasn't a lot of Sega fans.

Now, Wii has scrapped all that fucked up format and is with the DVD wagon now. Not only that, it will have lots of other innovative functions (I don't need to name them, you all know it by heart) compared to the other two systems. Also, the launch price is really cheap compared to PS3, meaning that more people will own the Wii. The game industry recognises this, and will create more games for it, stealing some of the PS3 limelight. It's all about profits. People who usually won't buy a console at launch will buy it now, especially when it's bundled with a game at that cheap a price, as well to test the capabilities. Sure, Wii doesn't offer muscle, but it's really the gameplay that counts. Personally, when I look at game screenshots from the consoles, I can't differentiate between them. Does it really matter about graphics that much anymore? That's not to say that Sony will be utterly defeated this round, but Wii will have a phenomenon start, and the PS3 will have a lot of catching up. People who buy PS3 will buy it because of the previous consoles' influence. Those who say they won't buy Wii will eventually buy it anyway, when 'backup' copies are avaliable there anyway, and the console is out for so cheap.

These are my opinions, I doubt anyone will read it anyway.
Whoah!

Slow down, brotha.

As for the 1080p shit, the PS3 supports that resolution for Blu-Ray movies only. Most games won't be able to output 1080p because the console just isn't powerful enough. The lower end model doesn't even have an HDMI output, which means it won't be able to display at 1080p AT ALL.

But all that is besides the point, which is that anything Kutaragi says cannot be taken for granted.

How the hell did the PS3 go from having dual 1080p outputs (for two fucking HDTVs playing at 1080p) to having a lower end model that doesn't output 1080p at all?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

'Ken Kutaragi' is Japanese for 'bullshit'.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

Psycho Wolvesbane wrote:It's official the Nintendo Wii will be released on November 19th at $249. Still unconfirmed about the UK and Europe launch details but expect it to be just after Japan on 2nd of December.
Just read this earlier today. I was a little dissapointed honestly, the manufacturing costs are well below that, versus where the PS3 was undercutting itself by about $400 and yet Nintendo won't take a blow whatsover. True they are bundling Wii Sports, but as always not everyone wants a bundled package. I hope that Twilight Princess is released on the same day, as supposedly that was the plan.
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

Ugh, Wii Sports? No thanks.

I'll wait till I can buy a Wii without a bundled game that I don't really want.

In the mean time, PS3 is looking might hot and tempting. If nothing else, for the fact that my PS2 is getting on in years and buying a second PS2 that isn't purely for Japanese games rankles something awful with me.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

raziel wrote:
Libaax wrote:Why not ?

Um, your example is inaccurate. In order for it to be correct, compare psx games still coming out while Xbox and Gamecube are continuing to make games. In that case, I think it would be hard for psx to have kept up. I think if they had to pretty much every game would've had to be at mgs or ffvii caliber. Sounds tough to me.

The gap b/w ps2 and xbox/gamecube is definitely less than a decade.
Yeah its less than a decade buts that as far sony will let Wii 2 and Xbox 720 get away from PS3. They wont make the gap as big PSX and Xbox,Gamecube for many reasons.

They arent stupid,they are after making money and they will as long as they keep staying ahead thier opponents meaning PS4 will be out to keep sure Sony is in the game. That PS3 can last a decade its bull.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Bengal wrote:
In the mean time, PS3 is looking might hot and tempting. If nothing else, for the fact that my PS2 is getting on in years and buying a second PS2 that isn't purely for Japanese games rankles something awful with me.
Isn't the PS3 region free as well? I think it is, which can make it easier to import those games that aren't so popular over here.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Region free, FTW! Another great reason I want a PS3. I mean, the DVD player (which can play .avi files) is damn near reason enough.

Yeah, I know you can't necessarily trust a company's CEO on something, just because they say it. Yeah, I doubt the PS3 can last a decade, but even 6 - 8 years would be awesome. I mean, if PS3 can keep pumping out the hits, even after this upcoming console generation has passed, that would well make it worth the money (as I've said, among other things).

BTW, I read your post Eldo, and agree with it, for the most part. As for the 1080p issue, from what I've read, the PS3 CAN support 1080p for games. The new Ridge Racer (or some racing game, NASCAR maybe) is even in 1080p. It's just that most developers are saying they can't handle that right now. However, we may see that change in the future. Besides, I'll be getting the upper-end model, so the lower-end one doesn't concern me. I also don't have an HDTV, so I'm not sure if 1080p even matters to me. Plus the system's current standard of graphics still kicks arse. Anyway, I know that the bigwigs can be full of it most of the time. I'm always complaining about their money-grubbing. I take most of what they way with a grain of salt. This 1080p issue doesn't seem to worry me though. However, Sony does need to calm down on the back-sliding a bit, I'll give you that.

The Wii and 360 may be getting more 3rd party support, but the games I want are still with PS3. Heh, and the FF series doesn't concern me nearly as much as it used to, like Eldo pointed out. Now, if MGS or Suikoden became exclusive to one of the other consoles for example, this would be very different.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Starnum wrote:
Heh, and the FF series doesn't concern me nearly as much as it used to, like Eldo pointed out.
it's because you both like monkey sex. Tactics for ps rapes lives.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Malvado wrote:it's because you both like monkey sex.
I believe you have me confused with yourself sir.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Starnum wrote:
Malvado wrote:it's because you both like monkey sex.
I believe you have me confused with yourself sir.
Maybe i do watson, maybe i do.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

To me, graphics doesn't really appeal to me that much, as long as the gameplay's there. I mean, PS2 had pretty shoddy graphics compared to Xbox and Gamecube, and nobody cared. There are people who play their handheld at home rather than their consoles. Muscle isn't always that important.

I have to truthfully admit that if Wii and PS3 sold at the same price, I will probably get the PS3. But no, the PS3's price is more than three times that of the Wii.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am