General Gaming News Thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Bengal wrote:The PS3s bluedisk technology opens up the door for SquarEnix to do what they've wanted all along and make the ultimate Final Fantasy game. A sixteeen-hour CGI movie that let's you select the names of the characters, and eventually let's you tool around on a map screen filling your bestiary for another four hours.

They don't need Blu-Ray, they have the Gambit System:

ImageImage
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

That's sexy. wait didn't i just say that in another post?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Best cover ever.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Awesome to the max. Is that the american or jap cover?
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

Tempest wrote:

They don't need Blu-Ray, they have the Gambit System:
The gambit system is only step one. With blue ray they have the room to make it ALL CGI-FMV so RSVP to your TA and we can HU for a T-a-T.

Edit:
Ayanami wrote:Awesome to the max. Is that the american or jap cover?
See the little NTSC in the top righthand corner?

NTSC is the acronym that stands for National Television Systems Committee" and the name of the current analog transmission standard used in the US, which the committee created in 1953.

Plus, that little U/C next to it means that all the Hockey Hosers won't be left out.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I am completely aware of the NTSC stuff, I was just a retard and asked away like a gitty school girl. My bad. Great explanation though.

Every once in a while, the US cover will actually be better than the japanese. Chrono Trigger is another example.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wow, I'm amazed that they didn't censor the word "God" like they did in G Gundam. I hate it when they do that.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

I will be getting God Hand. People say it's pretty damn good game...but Famitsu gave it a score of 26/40. I hate those Square-Enix fanboys though.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

TGS to Show 43 Next-gen Games, 573 Games Total
Sep 13, 2006 @ 10:10am

Summary:
Next week's Tokyo Game Show will see 573 games showcased over its three day-run, according to show organizers.

Full Text:

Of those games, those generating the biggest buzz will likely be the 43 games scheduled to be on show for next-generation consoles, including the Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s PlayStation 3, Nintendo's Wii, and Microsoft's Xbox 360.

This year's show will give consumers an opportunity to get their hands on both the PlayStation 3 and Wii for the first time.

The PlayStation 3 is due to launch in Japan on Nov. 11 (Nov. 17th for the US) and the Wii is due on sale sometime between October and December. Nintendo is expected to announce a launch date at a news conference scheduled for Thursday.

The next-generation games break out to 20 for the Xbox 360, 18 for the PlayStation 3 and 5 for the Nintendo Wii, according to the Computer Entertainment Suppliers' Association. The data was released on Tuesday based on information collected up to Sept. 1.
Tokyo Game Show platform breakdowns

* 127 PC games

* 125 cell phone games

* 100 PS2 games

* 52 Nintendo DS games

* 33 PSP games

* 20 Xbox 360 games

* 18 PlayStation 3 games

* 5 Nintendo Wii games

TGS game genre breakdowns

* 129 Action games

* 76 Role-playing games

* 49 Simulation games

* 35 Puzzle games

* 33 Adventure games

The Tokyo Game Show will take place from Sept. 22 to 24 at Makuhari Messe in Chiba near Tokyo.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Bengal wrote:See the little NTSC in the top righthand corner?

NTSC is the acronym that stands for National Television Systems Committee" and the name of the current analog transmission standard used in the US, which the committee created in 1953.

Plus, that little U/C next to it means that all the Hockey Hosers won't be left out.
Wow, you really need to stop acting like a know it all. You come off as a jerk. Sources are always appreciated because it makes you double check yourself and it shows to others people that you are correct and not just making stuff up.

NTSC is the analog television system in use in Canada, Japan, South Korea, the United States, and some other countries, mostly in the Americas. It is named for the National Television System(s) Committee, the U.S. standardization body that adopted it.

In January 1950 the Committee was reconstituted, this time to decide about color television. In March 1953 it unanimously approved what is now called simply the NTSC color television standard, later defined as RS-170a. The updated standard retained full backwards compatibility ('compatible color') with older black and white television sets. Color information was added to the black and white image by adding a color subcarrier of 3.58 MHz to the video signal. Due to certain technical considerations, the addition of the color subcarrier also required a slight reduction of the frame rate from 30 frames per second to 29.97 frames per second.

source

So, PAL, SECAM == Europe and NTSC == US, Japan, and more

Adding J at the end specifies Japan while U is US and C is Canada is their way of region coding games though I'm not sure the J,U, and C has any bearing on the NTSC standard. It mostly has something to do with region coding that prevents you from playing J on U consoles and the like. Pretty shity, but that is how they want it.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Wii: November 19th / $250

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/ ... ndo14.html

That price is $50 more than I expected, it was kinda disappointing.

Still buying one though.

EDIT: It seems like Wii Sports will be included with each console, so that's not so bad.

EDIT2: The article was pulled. Unconfirmed maybe? Anyway the press conference in Japan is underway. 800 yen (about $7) for a Virtual Console SNES title.

EDIT3: A bunch of shit from that Nintendo thing. I'm too lazy to post it all, look it up yourselves, fags.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

2:16 a.m. EST [update 13]: Gemaga reports Wii Sports will not be a pack-in game, but will cost 4,800 yen and include five sports games.

antoher link

video

little more zelda

http://wii.com/jp/Title says it all.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I believe that is the hottest shit I've seen in quite some time. Screw getting a 360 first, I want a Wii, and I want it now.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

It seems kind of awkward. People normally say they like Nintendo because they make their systems for games and don't include all that other jazz like other systems. With all the features shown for the Wii, they seem to include much more then just the games and move away from the "game system only" idea i constantly hear from people. Web browser, diary(i believe), picture program, picture editing, etc. Pretty niffy stuff I must say. It still can't fuel my interest though.
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Unfortunately, I've always liked how Nintendo has always focused on the games only, I don't usually use the other features that are on other consoles like the ps2
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

raziel wrote:Unfortunately, I've always liked how Nintendo has always focused on the games only, I don't usually use the other features that are on other consoles like the ps2
It isn't just with the Wii, there was in fact a Panasonic Gamecube made in Japan (I should know, Ayanami has one) with the ability to play Japanese, US games, and DVDs. All that and LED light ups for only $500. :roll:

Anywho, I think I just joy-gasmed at all the Wii release stuff. One question: Will Wii Sports come with the console? I've heard conflicting reports on this and I am curious.
ImageImage
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Tempest wrote:Anywho, I think I just joy-gasmed at all the Wii release stuff. One question: Will Wii Sports come with the console? I've heard conflicting reports on this and I am curious.
I'd say it's pretty definite Wii Sports Wiill come with the Wii Console. It makes sense on too many levels for it not to be so.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Obiviously your lack of reading power didn't see my post after what Femto posted. But that is the japanese release so you shouldn't care anyway.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'd rather pay $200 for a "no games included" Wii than $250 for a Wii with Wii Sports.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I wonder how much games and such for the VC(virtual console) can hold. The games are said to be $7-10 each but what is the limit?

"For NA:

November 19th Wii on sale - Worldwide debut in US - 25,000 points of distribution - $249.99 - White only at launch

4 million units worldwide - US seeing biggest shipment

Harware, cables, sensor bar, 1 Wii remote, 1 nunchuck controller - All in box

Wii Bowling about to be demoed, works just like real bowling

Wii Boxing, Wii Bowling, Golf, Baseball, and Tennis all on one - Wii Sports packed into Wii box - First console pack in since the NES

The Legend of Zelda TP & Excite Truck on launch day

Activisions launch titles as seen on IGN, Trauma Center at launch, Madden 07 NFS:Carbon at launch, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Metal Slug Anthology, RRR, Red Steel - All launch titles...more on that list as well.

30 Wii games in launch window (2006) about half on launch day - remain consistent with Cube software pricing

Wii Channels Menu - News channel shown, as well as weather, shop, photo, and others. 1 page of 12 Wii channels, expandable as well. Disc channel allows players to play Wii game or Game Cube games, Wii Shop is the Virtual Console home, The legend of zelda, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong available for VC launch day. 10 games per month, 5 bucks for NES, 8 for SNES, and 10 for N64. Wii Points acquired online or at retaliers. 2000 Wii points card for 20 bucks at retail. Games story internally and becomes its own channel. Title is available forever once downloaded.

Mii channel shown - create character profiles. Bill Trinen is creating Samuel L Jackson. Mii characters can be transferred to Wiimote so you can take them with you. Wii games can use character profiles, such as Wii Sports.

Wii Photo channel shown - Take your SD card and plug into your Wii. Massive amounts of thumbnails shown. NoA slideshow being run. Fun things to do with photos, puzzle scramble, doodle, and more.

Wii Weather Wii News Wii Messageboard quickly discussed. Send messages to pc users, cellphones through Wii Messageboard channel.

Internet Channel discussed - downloaded with Wii points - once downloaded it can be accessed immediately

Wii remote sold seperate from nunchuck. Wiimote - 39.99 - Nunchuck 19.99

Zelda TP - Launches for GameCube on December 11th, Zelda for Wii first day

Wii connects through wifi or wired internet connection

Third party titles may be priced higher then 49.99, it is up to them. All first party games are widescreen

4 million units by Dec 31, 6 million by end of fiscal year in march

Metroid Prime 3 is a 2007 title

The first online game in Japan is Pokemon Battle Revolution - in Japan at launch - US shortly after"
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Malvado wrote:I wonder how much games and such for the VC(virtual console) can hold. The games are said to be $7-10 each but what is the limit?
I don't know the limit, but here's what I've heard of the act of buying stuff for the console:

It's based off of a point system call ed "Wii Points". You can get them through retailers in Card form, or online once you get the Opera browser function for your Wii (I think). It seems to be that 1 Wii point is equivilant to 1 Japanese yen. Apparently a limited time offer is that with a 5,000 point card (5,000 yen/ about $42.50 American) you get a free "old school" controller (The SNES model controller) A 3,000 point card costs 3,000 yen ($25.50) and 1,00 Wii/yen card is about 8.50. Although I've heard that some US retailers are sellign 2,000 point cards for $20 (which if you do the math drops the value of a point to 100 points per dollar against about 118 points per dollar). Early statements have been made the NES games will go for 500 points, 800 for SNES games, and 1,000 points for N64 games.

*EDIT* you beat me too it. damn.
ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

DarkenRahlX wrote:I will be getting God Hand. People say it's pretty damn good game...but Famitsu gave it a score of 26/40. I hate those Square-Enix fanboys though.
What kind of game is it? Fighting?
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

action/beat em up. I mean they gave God of War a 32/40 but a digimon world game a 34/40 that same month.....but they get a demo of Lost Odessey in their next issue. So i'll shut up.

OH AND EVERYONE WITH A 360 MAKE A JAPANESE PROFILE SO IF WE DONT' GET THE TGS DEMO'S ON THE US LIVE WE CAN DOWNLOAD FROM THE JP LIVE SERVICE. That is all.

edit: oh and Raving Rabbits. Very funny http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2619

edit: damn the wii doesn't play dvd's. Doesn't matter I have enough DVD players anyway.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

OK, so Nintendo of America has said it was wrong and the Wii will in fact be region locked. Damnit. I don't really see why, but Nintnedo has a long history of making really crappy decisions for really crappy reasons, so why should it be any different now?

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153746

New News(And new post):

Looks like the Opera Browser will be available on the Wii for a free trial run up until approximately June '07. After that you'll have to purchase it for a currently unspecified number of Wii Points.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/735/735570p1.html
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:Looks like the Opera Browser will be available on the Wii for a free trial run up until approximately June '07. After that you'll have to purchase it for a currently unspecified number of Wii Points.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/735/735570p1.html
That's sneaky (or smart depending on how you want to look at it), it seems like they want people to jump on the Wii-wagon as soon as possible and this is an incentive to do so.

I know I'll be getting a Wii before June '07 for sure, so that's good news.