Religio-Scientific Ethics of Cooter Burning (Split Thread)

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Skullcracker, no one will take you seriously when all your knowledge comes from movies, think for yourself once in a while.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Feeling lucky, punk?

I mean...I actually brought that up to make it is easier to imagine

just a sidenote: It is Skullkracker
and this goes for everyone out there!
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

i agree somewhat with starnum that i feel there is a good mixture of free will and intevention. god can't make us choose a certain path, but he can sure place oportunities to follow a better path along the way. they definitely aren't always what we want or might expect because the biggest thing people need to learn about religion is that you don't always get what you want and what you need is often times not what you want or what you might expect
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Anywho, if I can choose my own path can i be a rich sexy super model!!@#$E@!R>??
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

try and keep it to a serious. if you want to make an ass out of yourself do it in another thread. and if you thought more than 30 seconds before you posted, you could have answered your inane and disrespectful question yourself.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

MrFelony wrote:try and keep it to a serious. if you want to make an ass out of yourself do it in another thread. and if you thought more than 30 seconds before you posted, you could have answered your inane and disrespectful question yourself.
ok, but that wasn't a disrespectful question. I was just asking if I have a chance to be any of that. I was just thinking of genetics. I mean, not everyone is beautiful enough to be a model so how much involvement do we have in being one? If you believe we have a choice in what we become what pervents us from becoming what we want to be? And I don't want you to say, society or something equal to that. Give me a answer if you can go all out saying i am making an ass out of myself. Which obiviously we both are if you take the time out of your life to point it out that I am "making an ass" out of myself.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Malvado wrote:Anywho, if I can choose my own path can i be a rich sexy super model!!@#$E@!R>??
You can rob people's houses, and when you get caught, tell them it was god's will. And with the money you stole, you can get plastic surgery.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

Be sure to do it in Texas. Sorry Eldo, Satan doesn't cut it.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

you asked taht question with tons of sarcasm in the tone of your post. if i were to go up to you in person and ask you something in the same sarcastic style of how you typed your post, it would be considered disrespectful. but if you meant it to type it in a serious manner my apologies.

to answer your question seriously, if you are born shit ugly you won't becoem a super model. I am a big believer in having big dreams and having ambitious goals in life, but there is a point where you need to do some realistic thinking.

for that person who is born ugly, honestly I believe it's something that god deamed that that person needed to help them along their path in life.
lets say if that person was born as a super hot woman, would she have become very vain? I'd rather a person be born ugly and develope a beautiful soul than born beautiful and develope an ugly personality.

another example: lets say that a child's dream is to become the fastest runner in the world, but they are in a car accident and paralyzed. my belief is that this happened because some good was to come out of it. it may be in their life time, or they may affect enough people in their lifetime to cause something good or great to happen in the next generation. the hand of god is always a mysterious and the plan of god is not always what we want or expect.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

MrFelony wrote:for that person who is born ugly, honestly I believe it's something that god deamed that that person needed to help them along their path in life. lets say if that person was born as a super hot woman, would she have become very vain? I'd rather a person be born ugly and develope a beautiful soul than born beautiful and develope an ugly personality.
So in the opposite situation, if the person was born beautiful, and have an ugly personality, that's god's way of helping them through life? What the fuck?
MrFelony wrote:lets say that a child's dream is to become the fastest runner in the world, but they are in a car accident and paralyzed. my belief is that this happened because some good was to come out of it. it may be in their life time, or they may affect enough people in their lifetime to cause something good or great to happen in the next generation. the hand of god is always a mysterious and the plan of god is not always what we want or expect.
See, I would take that as 'god just likes to fuck around and mess people's lives up'. Or maybe god just wants to see people's dreams dashed away when he arranged the child to cross the road. He sure is mysterious. Of course we can't expect the 'plan of god', because one day he'll built you up with dreams of accomplishment, and the next day he'll rob you all of it by severing bodily parts.

I'll be sure to take up my murderous acts in Texas. Thank god for the insanity plea, god arranged for that as well. He sure works in mysterious ways, allowing people to kill other innocents in his name.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Ok. I haven't read much of this topic after the cooter burning but has any atheist brought up death? Because, if heaven, hell, paradise, the void etc doesn't exist then what do they believe goes on during death. I personally thought it may be more of a dreamworld consisting of thoughts your brain kept before you passed away.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

You simply cease to exist.

Thats a scary possibility to think of, so it much easier to imagine that there is something after death, isnt it?
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, if you're atheist, and you belive that after you die, you simply cease to exist, then I can almost guarantee you that's what your fate will be. To be damned by God, is to cease to exist. I don't believe that you burn eternally, as some think. This is a myth created by the fictional work, Dante's Inferno. I've studied it thoroughly, and it speaks about it in Revelation. The Lake of Fire takes place on Earth, the damned are incinerated, and cease to exist. Then god remakes the world anew, doing away with the Lake of Fire, and thus there is no more pain or sadness.

Anyway, I don't know what Mr. Felony is talking about. God doesn't decide how you look, genetics does. God doesn't kill people, or cause car wrecks, or tell people to go rob others. That's just a bunch of silly propaganda as far as I'm concerned. I hate it when people blame stupid crap on God, or talk shit about God without knowing what they're talking about. As I've said, when bad things happen, it's usually because of people. God doesn't cause hurricanes and tornados either. Yes, he created the atmosphere that allows them to exist, when he created the world, but everything since then is natural weather patterns. God is eternal and unconditional love. I can't actually say that God doesn't cause events to happen on Earth, because I have no way of fathoming his grand plan, but I don't imagine him causing any pain or strife. Those who choose to accept Christ, and love God, get to live with him eternally. I'm talking about true believers, you can't be a murderer or a rapist, and get into heaven without truly changing your ways and repenting first. As for the non-believers, they get their non-eternal life and cease to exist after death, just like they chose. God is very fair after all.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

:PLUS1:

that's very well formulated Starnum, I cannot add anything more
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I also agree with Starnum, at least with what he said about mrfelony. I dont believe god has any control over peoples actions, your beliefs may sway your actions one way or another, but they are still yours alone. I like to think of god as the guy that put the seamonkey aquarium(the universe) together, and every now and then he stops by to see how we are doing.
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Ok, even if He doesn't cause bad things to people like murder or paralysis, I think sometimes, it seems like He tests people. If something bad happens to someone, how will they react? In some cases, the person will get pissed and that will draw them away. However, there are a few who will end up getting closer to Him.

An example that reminds me of this is 9/11. I saw on tv some woman who said she hasn't attended church in 30 years or something and ended up going back when this happened. Sure, this desire for religion can be short-lived, as you don't see many still going to church now that 9/11 seems like a long time ago.

I think he is somewhat in control of the bad things, with Satan somewher in the equation I think. If I remember correctly, it says somewhere in the bible that whoever belongs to this world will usually be the ones thriving with success for the most part. However, if you choose to follow God, many trials and obstacles will be thrown at you by the world to make you stray. Man, it can go either way, it's just speculation. This is a forum so I guess not everything has to be factual.

Mr. Felony's post brings up a disturbing question about freewil and god's purpose that I 've been having for a while. On a sidenote, I hope I'm not turning this into Christian "drivel" as some may be inclined to think (atheists and the like look away) as this is supposed to be a general thread about religion.

My question deals with the traitor Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus so that he can die on the cross. He was destined according to God's plan to betray Jesus. See I find that horrifying that he was born and lived solely for this doomed fate of betraying Him. Anyone have ideas?
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I have another question, but I don't feel like getting flamed over it. But I'll say it anyway!

Why do only humans go to heaven? I mean if everything has a soul and exists then why can't they be "blessed" by his gift of enternal life too. I am not looking for the "he made us out of his image" crap or the "we have the choice of reason" since there was a time when we didn't.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

see I'm not blaming god for anything, I'm saying he has a plan and sets up oportunities for us to follow it. I believe that the plan is for the best of humanity. for those who pay a dear price during their physical life, i believe, are rewarded for their struggle. for me that's the only way to justify that, because i don't really have a very good answer for it at the moment. I don't really have a lot of time to talk, but i'm sure you guys don't care about what i say anyway:P
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Have you people started arguing about this again?

Silly rabbits...
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Malvado wrote:I have another question, but I don't feel like getting flamed over it. But I'll say it anyway!

Why do only humans go to heaven? I mean if everything has a soul and exists then why can't they be "blessed" by his gift of enternal life too. I am not looking for the "he made us out of his image" crap or the "we have the choice of reason" since there was a time when we didn't.
The Mormons believe the afterlife to consist of three kingdoms; Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial.

The Celestial kingdom is where the faithful members of the LDS church that have been baptized, sealed in the temple, and all that go. Here they can be with God, live as a family unit, continue to have children, and are exalted to the state of godhood. Its a pretty sweet place.

The Terrestrial kingdom is where everyone else goes that wasnt worthy enough for the Celestial kingdom. Here you can be with Jesus, but not with God, and you dont get the oppotunity to be exalted to godhood. This is also where the animals go, Malvado. Its quite nice.

Then the Telestial kingdom is where the the sinners go. You do not get to be in the pressence of god or Jesus, but the holy ghost is around. They say it is still better than Earth, which is cool. I guess...
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

its not arguing, its examing our beliefs silly fox :P
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

raziel wrote:My question deals with the traitor Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus so that he can die on the cross. He was destined according to God's plan to betray Jesus. See I find that horrifying that he was born and lived solely for this doomed fate of betraying Him. Anyone have ideas?
I don't think he was destined to betray Jesus, as he still had free will. However, God exists outside of time, so he knows the choices you'll make, before you even make them. Did God know that Adam and Eve would eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil? Yes, of course, God knows everything. However, he still had to give them that option, or else free will couldn't exist. It wasn't some kind of setup or anything. God gives us the right to chose, even if he knows the answer before us, because he's fair. He simply puts the question before us, and allows us to answer it however we want. He knew Judas would betray Jesus, thus Jesus knew as well.
Malvado wrote:Why do only humans go to heaven? I mean if everything has a soul and exists then why can't they be "blessed" by his gift of enternal life too. I am not looking for the "he made us out of his image" crap or the "we have the choice of reason" since there was a time when we didn't.
Humans are the only ones with souls. Animals do not have souls. It says they were merely put here for our needs. Sorry, I like animals too, but they're soulless.

As for the Mormons, no offense to anyone, but to me they seem like an occult. They made up their own bible, and all kinds of extra dogma, and that doesn't sit well with me. Although, I suppose they're better than Scientologist, heh. *shrugs*
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

How can you have free will when an omnipotent being exists? They're mutually exclusive (if anything, it's a point for predestination).
Humans are the only ones with souls. Animals do not have souls. It says they were merely put here for our needs. Sorry, I like animals too, but they're soulless.
Harsh. So the infant that dies goes to wherever (Heaven?) but the chimpanzee, who has the intelligence of roughly a six year old child simply ceases to exist? So much for loving all of creation. This deity is racist.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Starnum wrote:As for the Mormons, no offense to anyone, but to me they seem like an occult. They made up their own bible, and all kinds of extra dogma, and that doesn't sit well with me. Although, I suppose they're better than Scientologist, heh. *shrugs*
They didnt make up their own bible, they believe and follow the same bible that you know, well the King James version anyway. They also follow the Book Of Mormon which is also believed to be the word of god.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yes, I was referring to the Book of Mormon. Yes, they believe in the bible, but then they made up another book, which seems a little odd to me, but I'm not too worried about it.