Modchips and premods (for PS2).

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Modchips and premods (for PS2).

Post by Femto »

Anyone have any experience with this?

I held out without a variety of JAP only games (mostly shooters) and it's about time I got myself a way to play them.

A JAP-only system seems like a waste to me, so I was thinking of buying a premodded Slim PS2 that can play both US and JAP games and just get rid of my clunky old PS2. I don't care about homebrew or HD Advance or backups or any of that stuff, I just want a PS2 that can play both Japanese and American games.

Price is kinda important too, I'm not about to pay over $250 for a console I already own, especially when you consider how expensive some of these imports can be.

Any help you can provide about the best modchips or good sites where this stuff is sold is greatly appreciated.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

no need for mod chip.

Fliptop is your friend. Its very simple, no soldering, and no need to spend over 100 bucks to play japanese games.

yes its somewhat annoying to start the system with the swap disc, but i have fliptop and i love it, no faults no nothing ps2 works fine. plus my ps2 is the 2nd gen after the launch and still lives.

of course you have to have a ps2 first...
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'd rather avoid fliptops if possible.

That shit will probably annoy me real fast.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I got a Matrix Infinity chip soldered into my PS2 a couple of years ago for a decent price, and it has served me well since.

I'd say a pre-modded PS2 is your best bet (although I hear pre-flip-top'd slimline v12 PS2s are popular), but I have no idea where to purchase such things in the U.S.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I am not a fan of modding, I actually prefer a swap disc method. If you are trying to cut corners on price, swap disc is the way to go. I have never heard of a cheap modchip.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

I got my premodded slimline Matrix Infinity a couple of years ago, working like a charm since. I'm pretty sure I got it from this place http://www.modchipworld.com/. Good service, not a bogus place like some online dealers (got burned once, and took forever to get my money back. I had to get my Bank to bust their chops, a risky enterprise considering the questionable legality of my purchase)

The price is still a bit on the steep side, considering how the next gen is coming out soon. The only way to get it done cheaper is to buy a chip and get it done by some import shop under the table (or do it yourself if you feel adventurous)
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

could also just use hdloader and save them to your system. since that doesn't matter where the game is from.

edit: wow i missed that you already said no to hdadvance....
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

My lil bro got his ps2 modded by our dad, it was a one-wire 'phantom' plugin that goes into the usb slot. Basically you plug it in to the USB port, then solder one connection on the PCB, there is a switch on there to turn it off or on depending on if there is mod-chip detection code in newer games.

So basically it works as advertised.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

psi29a wrote:My lil bro got his ps2 modded by our dad, it was a one-wire 'phantom' plugin that goes into the usb slot. Basically you plug it in to the USB port, then solder one connection on the PCB, there is a switch on there to turn it off or on depending on if there is mod-chip detection code in newer games.

So basically it works as advertised.

have you ever had problems with game saves?

I had a modded Gamecube where i had to turn on a switch to play japanese games, and well enough i left it on japanese and my friend tried to play an american game and both of my cards got wiped clean.

Ever since then ive avoided anything that requires a switch, 92% in metroid prime, all characters in naruto 3 and 4... the many hours it took to get it all back, fuck switches.

That is why i deal with fliptop only, simple, safe, cheap, and you get all the benefits a mod chip has without fully opening you ps2.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

halfnhalf wrote:i left it on japanese and my friend tried to play an american game and both of my cards got wiped clean.

Ever since then ive avoided anything that requires a switch, 92% in metroid prime, all characters in naruto 3 and 4... the many hours it took to get it all back, fuck switches.
That, I believe, is an american/japanese GameCube saves issue only. My friends (the ones with gamecube freeloader swap discs, anyway), use separate memory cards for japanese/american/european games.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

LordMune wrote:
That, I believe, is an american/japanese GameCube saves issue only. My friends (the ones with gamecube freeloader swap discs, anyway), use separate memory cards for japanese/american/european games.
that was the problem, i had two memory cards, one for american games and the other for japanese games. after the screen went weird the game saves all went corrupt.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

OK, I'm starting to realize that paying over $200 for a premodded PS2 for only about 3-5 import games is ridiculous and there have been a couple fliptop recommendations in this thread, so I'm thinking about going that route.

You just have to exchange the top cover of any PS2 with the fliptop one and have an actual Swap discs handy, right?

I think I read something along those lines somewhere.

I'll google around for it, but if anybody has some good recommendations on where to buy them or just links to information in general, that'd be great.

EDIT: Also, which Swap Magic disc am I looking for?
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Femto wrote:
You just have to exchange the top cover of any PS2 with the fliptop one and have an actual Swap discs handy, right?

Also, which Swap Magic disc am I looking for?

When buying a fliptop, make you are buying the correct cover for your correct version of ps2. The big launch ps2 box has 10 versions and their interior designs do change. v11 and 12 are the new slimline.

http://www.ps2fliptop.net/order.htm

i had my use with them, got me what i wanted, but fuck customs cuz they opened my box. Nothing was damaged. But i still advise about checking all websites before purchasing. Price wise if you shouldnt be paying more then 50 bucks for both the fliptop and the swap discs.

swap magic disc should be at 3.6. Make sure that you are purchasing both the DVD and CD. CD games require a CD boot disc, ala Rez. swap discs need to be Swap Magic, anything else blows.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

One more question: do I need a Japanese memory card for Japanese games?

I think half mentioned something like that and I want to know that before I start ordering some games.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

He has had zero issues with the switch mod. Granted he never played japanese games.

He used it purely because a) he is a pirate and b) already had a ton of PSX games he 'backed up' that he wanted to play.

Yar motherfucker!
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

Femto, the memory card thing is a non-issue with the PS2. both of my cards have had both US and Jap games saves intermingled all over the place with zero problems.

The Gamecube mem cards format differently for the different regions, causing potential problems with certain games. PS2 seems to just create a jap system file on the card and everything is gravy. I have a ton of games from all kinds of regions, and haven't had a single issue due to the mem card sharing.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Wandering_Mystic wrote:Femto, the memory card thing is a non-issue with the PS2. both of my cards have had both US and Jap games saves intermingled all over the place with zero problems.

The Gamecube mem cards format differently for the different regions, causing potential problems with certain games. PS2 seems to just create a jap system file on the card and everything is gravy. I have a ton of games from all kinds of regions, and haven't had a single issue due to the mem card sharing.
Thanks for the info.

I just found out that Mushihimesama costs 30 bucks at play-asia.

I'm picking that up, along with ESPGaluda and KOFXI.

Still, haven't ordered the flip top though.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

It's wierd that you decided to do this now Femto, I've been thinking of getting a mod of some kind for myself since I don't really have the cash for a jap PS2. So thanks everybody for the info, that'll save me a lot of time myself. If/when I get something, I need to pick up KOF XI, Melty Blood, and Fist of the North Star when it comes out.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Femto wrote:I just found out that Mushihimesama costs 30 bucks at play-asia.
Yeah, a Taito Best release just came out and it is cheap. I was thinking about picking it up but I wanted Dodonpachi Daioujou before that. Probably gonna pick up Mushi and ESP Galuda next.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

They have a Swap Magic 3.8 out...but the only function added to it is that you can you use Action Replay codes. As long as you have version 3.6 and above you will be fine.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I installed the flip top but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me to tell the truth.

I still haven't gotten the games so I can't really say for sure.

Can the regular PS2 tray be opened when the flip top is closed?

Because mine doesn't.

I know what the problem is, but I don't know if I should just "shave it" off.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

the disc tray should open up with the mod...

On my ps2 ive never had to "shave" anything off to make it work.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

halfnhalf wrote:the disc tray should open up with the mod...

On my ps2 ive never had to "shave" anything off to make it work.
I think the problem was that I was tightening the screws a little too much.

I still cut off those pieces though.

My PS2 seems to work like it used to though.

Thanks for the help though.

I'll keep everyone updated.

EDIT: Got the games, tested KOFXI and it works great.

Quick question though, is the Swap Disc itself supposed to make weird spinning sounds when it's booted up? Because I get that, but the disc itself doesn't seem to be scratched or anything.

I think it might be because of some glue that's on the underside of the disc (bad disc pressing maybe), but I'm curious to see if that's normal or not.