Ergo Proxy

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

yes i liked this ep too. all the entourages acting to protect their masters in their own twisted logic and then all died in the end. well except for pino. i like how vincent's form has changed yet his character is still the same.
i find this "master/retainer" a recurring theme in anime.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ep. 13, more questions.....
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

14... really weird. and the clip on next ep too.
are they trying to turn the series into some kind of expressionistic art?
its less about the plot and more about what kind of literature they are going to throw at the viewers next.
the plot itself is a plot device.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, it's all supposed to be the backdrop for Vincent coming to terms with himself. I suppose at some point they will have to show more real story.

In fact that ep wasn't even so weird, it just very much put you the protagonists' shoes, since it never offered an objective view at what was real and what wasn't.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

you are right, brain. ep 14 was about vincent's state of mind.
i guess what i am annoyed about is that this series was supposed to be
( or at least displayed as) a sci-fi story on the proxy and the city.
now its a literature about self-discovery and the purpose to existence.
the premise itself is now a tool to promote literature.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I don't even think so, in fact if you were to watch it without all the notes, you wouldn't even notice too much about the literature and art references. However, then many things would seem weird.

However, since classical sci-fi is more or less dead, and this show in itself is quite anachronistic, the makers probably wanted more of a literary base than just making it a story about proxies fighting each other. Basically it's a trade-off. They don't want to lose the anime public so they put in proxy fights, but they also want to deliver more than your standard anime fare, which means they cite many elements of classical art and literature. As long as the show doesn't become entirely incomprehensible without knowing what they are citing, I'm fine with that. Generally I think symbolism in literature and art is WAY overrated, which is I why I'll just ignore a lot of it, and try to find the merits of the story underneath.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i think the proxies have been so debased that they are not the point anymore.
they have been coming out in droves like pokemon yet still there are no hints to their origins or purpose.
rather they take a backseat to the literally references that no viewer cares about.

i look forward more to getting the single of the opening than the next ep.
although i still hope the series can get back on track.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ep. 15 finally gives some anwers, albeit in a way so weird that I feel some sympathy with the sub-groups who have been stalling.

It's out now though by a supposed no-name group "Pino no usagi", but the subs are good quality, nevertheless. Check baka-updates.
Brainpiercing
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Ergo Proxy... I remember watching a show called that, once. It's a bit hard to remember what it was about, it was so long ago...

(lololol @ wait)
Thanks for the heads-up.

EDIT: According to the TokyoTosho comments, Pino no Usagi is not no-name.
Anime-Jiyuu has been reborn as Pino no Usagi!
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ah, that explains something.
Brainpiercing
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

ya, i was wondering why this new group had such a good quality sub
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Episode 16 is out. Getting it right now.

So there's 300 of those proxies out there, eh? Explains why we run into one once in a while in an episode. Originally, I thought there were no more than 20, but it seems there are around 300 out there, according to the quiz game.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ep. 16 was one thing I never expected from Ergo Proxy, it was mostly funny. However, it was also an ep about people together in a tight spot, and as such, quite nicely done.
I would have liked to see some sort of sense-making transition from ep. 15, though.

Ep. 17 is out, too. Pino no Usagi are definitely in a releasing frenzy.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

thats the way i like it: more story less lessons.
=)

17.. i dont get how erasing his identity helps anything, let alone launch a (nuclear?) missle to moscow.
and what did lil realise from the cave drawings???
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

The cave drawings were birthing chambers, or so I thought. Don't remember what that signified in the ep.

And erasing the identity made sure noone could recall the missile, that's all, since new priviledges would have to be assigned in order to recall it. Which, admittedly, is a little off even in our computer age. Since the supposed supermod (the strange council) would have access beyond the director.
Brainpiercing
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Aaaah crap, i can only download more stuff in th end of the month, they choose the best time to rerelease Ergo Proxy. =(
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

ah thanks for explaining the missle/identity thing, brain.
=)
i didnt find it interesting or shocking that the cave drawings depicted the humanoids giving birth.

death, the more you wait the more eps you can watch at a go!
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I don't actually remember that anybody reacted shocked to finding the cave drawings. The shocking discovery was that the strange beings were actually humans - or something that used to be human.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

towards the end, lil was looking at the female humanoid then back at the drawings and going "no way".
i may be reading too much into her reaction.
=P

anyways we all know that a post-apocalyptic event always spawns a new race from the after-effects.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Quest wrote: anyways we all know that a post-apocalyptic event always spawns a new race from the after-effects.
Well, usually that new race is in some way a protagonist, because they get super mutant powers.....
Brainpiercing
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Finally watched episode 18. It seems that Real is a bit like Rei in Eva. That really freaked me out, especially Daedalus' creepy fixation on her.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, it certainly seems Real is not as real as she herself thinks. Chances are she's not even the first one.

I must say I found the Moscow scene a bit disappointing so far, at least as far as the look of Moscow was concerned. Or maybe there was just more time between the hit of the missile and their arrival, but if it was a short time ago it should look different. The destruction looked too old.
Brainpiercing
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Just saw episode 17, so Paul was the "father" of Pino? We see him play the piano at the end of the episode just like Pino, and she pretty much only mimics other people.
Did the fact that Vincent took her had anything to do with what happened? He looked pretty pissed at him at the end, he even had visions of him through out the episode.

Edit: Just realized that if he is Pino´s father, he was the husband of that woman in the first episodes, that explains the flashbacks that he had of her being killed.
Last edited by Deathbringer on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

19 and 20 are out.

The weirdness is just mounting up.
Brainpiercing
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Saw episode 18, now i get why you guys were comparing Real to Rei.....what does it mean though?

And yeah, there´s a thin line between fixation and obsession when Daedalus and real are involved.