Berserk Chapter: 278

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

freegood
imanewbie

Post by freegood »

Great release as usual. This is the perfect ending to an action packed arc.
Deathbringer wrote:I don´t think that Guts is much more wiser even at this point after all the battles that he´s been through.
Just see how he reacted in this chapter just after Serpico and the rest of the group entered the fray; Guts is there, lying on the ground and half dead as usual, Zodd teases him to end their fight and Guts despite being completely trashed gets up and started to respond to his challenge, that untill Serpico came and began to cool the mood and even then he was thinking it over, only when he saw Casca scared at Zodd he really stoped.

He´s gotten softer with them that´s true, but he´s still Guts, and the bomb can go out at any time.
Guts has to deal with the Berserker suit's lust for battle. He'd be long gone without his entire family. Shirke can only do so much.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Actually other than his feelings for Casca and Shcierkes powers that the others are useless when it comes to him fighting against the armour for control.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
absofflab
imanewbie

Post by absofflab »

Starnum wrote:
I'm sure he'd wouldn't hesitate to annihilate an insubordinate peon apostle.
He already has - remember the battle outside Flora's mansion? He crushed an Apostle's head without warning. I'm actually quite amazed that he let this guy off with only a warning and a neck choke.

And even if there weren't prior precedent for his lethal "chastising" of his subordinates, who in their right mind would actually challenge someone who has a centuries-long reputation for killing everyone and everything in sight? Especially if they've seen this certain someone live up to this reputation?

Oh, yeah, right...Guts...:) .

That is why we love the big guy, after all.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

So my internet was down and I could barely sleep lastnight cuz I wanted to post so bad. I'm looking at the frame right now and sorry to keep bringing it back up but ok look at this WITH me! ^_^ It has to be his right eye (and I know this no right eye symbolizes Guts himself sort of, but Muira has his own plans) The bridge of the nose is to (from our view) the right of the eye, its the same thatching as the nose above the frame but on the other side. The eyebrowis built just like a right eye eyebrow how it goes in the certain shape I don't know how to describe but it's like it in most animes/manga that pay attention to eyebrows. Also, the hair is not the hair from the frame above, and I don't really know where I was going with that. I'm going back and forth between the picture and here, but the main kicker is that the actualy eye pupil is closer to the inside for a right eye.

I keep looking at the eye and then to the right of the eye where it looks like the bridge of the nose and that's what keeps me thinking it. I know I may be wrong come Sept. 8th but damn....if I am, I will be kind of disappointed cuz it looks just like it... ^_^

EDIT: Just noticed that at the top right part of the whole eye, it's rounded just like the eyes are when they are next to the nose.

EDIT Again: But there is one kicker that is missing, there is no patch of white hair above the eye...so...that does kinda kill my buzz...damn.
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Virtra
imanewbie

Post by Virtra »

OMG... finally they get on the boat!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

One other thing that might be note worthy is that Zodd said Guts and his party should not be harmed. Does that mean that all the creatures under Griffiths command, obey Zodd? Or do they fear him enough, knowing that Zodd would kill everything without fail if they do choice to attack Guts? Or was it actually Griffith who gave the order that Guts should not be harmed? I mean Zodd controlling a large portion of the forces doesn't suprise me. But he only said it against one creature and after that they were left alone by ALL creatures under griffiths command.
If you note, one of them called him Captain, so as well as the (totally sincere) threat of Zodd killing them if they don't obey, I think that Griffith has appointed Zodd to a command position, which would make sense. Actually, if the Neo Hawks are organized at all like the last ones were, I suspect that Zodd essentially has Guts old position, which if you think about it would really be the perfect place for him.
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

That would make him Zots of the Hawk :headbang:

I have a sensational feeling of some killer dialogues next chapter. Maybe even some revelations. Can't wait :D
Hyuri
imanewbie

Post by Hyuri »

Istvan wrote:
One other thing that might be note worthy is that Zodd said Guts and his party should not be harmed. Does that mean that all the creatures under Griffiths command, obey Zodd? Or do they fear him enough, knowing that Zodd would kill everything without fail if they do choice to attack Guts? Or was it actually Griffith who gave the order that Guts should not be harmed? I mean Zodd controlling a large portion of the forces doesn't suprise me. But he only said it against one creature and after that they were left alone by ALL creatures under griffiths command.
If you note, one of them called him Captain, so as well as the (totally sincere) threat of Zodd killing them if they don't obey.
I believe that besides his rank within the Hawks most creatures obey Zodd because of the respect and admiration they feel for him. Even among the apostles Zodd is known to be a force to be reckoned with. Check out the dialoge that happens on Berserk_v32c277p02 to see what I mean.
Last edited by Hyuri on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Libaax wrote:Come on study him?....

Against Zodd you have to be a monster like Guts who is almost above human strenght level.

Whats tactics if you dont the power to back it up.

He didnt have a chance against Guts who was handicaped in close qaurters what makes you think Zodd wont just rip his head off.
You misunderstand me. I don’t think Serpico would stand a chance. However, you don’t have to be really strong to defeat a body builder. For example, let’s imagine you can lift like a ton, or some crap. What good is that going to do you, if I stalk you in secret, never to your knowledge, and then after gathering the necessary data, I snipe your ass from like a thousand feet away. Not that I would ever do some crazy shit like that, but that was more of what I was talking about. Don’t underestimate the power of knowledge and strategy. Brute strength isn’t everything, and I’m sure Serpico is smarter than Zodd, for the most part. However, I don’t see Serpico getting a chance to trick Zodd in the necessary way to defeat him, so yes, my money is on Zodd.
TheDrizzit wrote:I keep looking at the eye and then to the right of the eye where it looks like the bridge of the nose and that's what keeps me thinking it. I know I may be wrong come Sept. 8th but damn....if I am, I will be kind of disappointed cuz it looks just like it... ^_^
I really don't think that's his right eye dude. I think it would be a bit more obvious and dramatic if he had somehow regained his lost eye. I don't think that's the bridge of his nose on the left side there. I mean, everything around the eye is shadowed out, so it just kind of looks like it because of the way everything is darkened out. I guess we'll see when the next chapter comes, but there was never anything to suggest his eye had been healed, and I don't think it would just magical be restored without any help what so ever. So, we'll see, but I seriously doubt it's his right eye.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

You misunderstood me too.

Strenght isnt everything Guts has shown that by killing huge monsters with the combo of his strenght and tactics.

I meant tactics wont get you anywhere if you dont have the power to back it when you face a monster like Zodd.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Dude, you don't need power to back up tactic. For example, with the right plan, you can overcome great feats. Such as using leverage to move heavy objects. You don't need strength, just intelligence. It doesn't matter if you're a hundred times stronger than me, if my plan is to snipe you without you knowing it, I could be a feeble old man to do that.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Thats the thing i am talking about Zodd in Berserk not IRL ;)

You cant be smart and snipe out Zodd.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, that was just an example. It's always possible to lure your enemy into a lethal trap, with enough planning. I'm not saying that Serpico could defeat Zodd, I'm just saying that you shouldn't underestimate the power of a well planned strategy. Chances are that even if Serpico did come up with a plan, Zodd would find a way out of it, but you never know. In anycase, I think Zodd would end up devouring his flesh, so for the most part, we're agreed. ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Yeah he is no match for Guts so i dont see him surviving being Zodd dinner :P
Pergatory
Mastered PM

Post by Pergatory »

i dunno who but seeing how at the end of the chapter griffith had seen what gutts did to the emperour and how zodd count do anything i got a feeling its gonna be griffith and gutts fightingthe emperor...then again gutts hate for griffith might not allow it so i could be way off on this
The Sea At Night Time Makes Me Shiver...If You Stare At It...It Feelis Like You'll Get Swallowed...Into The Depth Of This Dark Wave... Image
|||||||
Mastered PM

Post by ||||||| »

Great release. Thank you guys!

I just wrote so much about strategy, but the internet cafe shut down all my windows as my time ran out....*damn*

however a short summary to my opinion on strategy, since I am quite interested in it...

Strategy is to use the tools given to their maximum potential. zodds potential is near to infinite. so even if you use quite some leverage you still need strength and a solid lever. strength is not to be underestimated. strategically spoken simple rampage or "I like it - simple, easy to remember". plans fail more easily, or do more with less effort. It's in some way physical laziness, while brute strength is more intelectual laziness. both are equivalent, but have their strengths and weaknesses. strength is robust, while plans are elegant. So both exist. on the front line of an army, strength is more important than strategy. when having a duel you avoid risk by using a clever tactic. this way different types evolve like guts and serpico.

my bet is still zodd in a battle against serpico since the lever needed is way too big. it didn't work against guts, but there was no magic used on both sides.
Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Thanks EG couldnt live without you (well I could, but then where would I get my berserk and a life without berserk is no life at all).

Great Chapter Azan is coming with them hehe thats a good twist for you, and finally this attack is over. Now to color something :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

i dont know how the fuck i got this chapter so late, but thankfully i did. im glad that the story is getting back on track. there has been a lot of stupid delays and fights that, given are very well done, but i was mostly just thinking "they're STILL at the docks!?". i am fully satisfied with this chapter!

as soon as you saw the shot of griffith on his horse giving guts the hawk look i heard a little "ooooh bitch move" in my head. yeah man, he's such a bitch.

i love the sequence of his eye opening and closing at the end as well. simply beautiful.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm telling you, that wasn't The Look of the Hawk.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Yeah...the famous look Griffith gives is a far more wide-eyed look than the one he gave Gutts. If anything he was just watching Gutts normally.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Phoenix
Mastered PM

Post by Phoenix »

I don't know, he looked like he got a horse, went up to the hill and looked as cool as he did just to spite him -_-
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

another aspect of zodd not to forget is that zodd isn't just inhumanely strong and fast. He's not just very hard to land even a glancing blow on...

He's a master swordsman and fighter, brawler. He's not brainless and he's not unskilled. Thats what truly makes zodd a force moreso than any other apostle.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I think Zodd is quite intelligent in combat, it's just more in the nature of Guts type of intelligence then Serpicos. Serpico tries to plan it all out, and works to give himself every advantage, and he does this very well. Guts, (and Zodd) on the other hand, takes things as they come, exploiting every opportunity that comes along, and relying on combat experience and reflexes to notice and act on things quickly enough. Both are highly effective strategies, but one of the advantages of Guts method is that it is very difficult to trap him, because he doesn't have any preconcieved notions of how the fight will go. Thus, when they dueled, he was able to effectively counter every one of Serpico's traps and plans.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I was just rereading this chapter and on the page where it shows Griffith on his horse atop the hill, the shadow he casts looks an awful lot like a silhoutte of an angel or something along those lines.

But I may just be reading too much into and and I should have posted this in the stupid Berserk theories.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Kanzetsu
imanewbie

Post by Kanzetsu »

Istvan wrote:I think Zodd is quite intelligent in combat, it's just more in the nature of Guts type of intelligence then Serpicos. Serpico tries to plan it all out, and works to give himself every advantage, and he does this very well. Guts, (and Zodd) on the other hand, takes things as they come, exploiting every opportunity that comes along, and relying on combat experience and reflexes to notice and act on things quickly enough. Both are highly effective strategies, but one of the advantages of Guts method is that it is very difficult to trap him, because he doesn't have any preconcieved notions of how the fight will go. Thus, when they dueled, he was able to effectively counter every one of Serpico's traps and plans.
I can't remember where I heard this quote but "acting in a way that can't be percieved as determined or predestined, that is a professional of combat." Mastering that makes you probably a much greater fighter than setting up a scenario which suits you, "adaptability" lol.
Which is pretty much what Guts is about, his abilities allow him to do as such, as someone mentioned before, certain tactics need certain abilities/power to succeed. Guts has the reflexes, experience, strength, etc. to pull out these mid-battle tactics, where as Serpico, for example, seems clearly a talented tactician for setting up the battlefield for his absolute advantage and using whatever abilities he has, but somewhat lacks in pure physical strength/abilities to keep up with Guts' + experience.
Guts' style is closer to the "non-professional" (despite being a master swordsman), as they say a beginner can pull off absolutely anything yet a professional can only pull off one style of something, perfectly. Guts' is experience and instinct whereas Serpico is much a man of intelligence who masters what he can intellectually and thus limits his adaptability.

I only mildly get the impression of Griffith's "evil eyes", otherwise it totally just looks like it's making a point that he isn't just randomly looking out into the sea and was paying well attention to Guts and what he has become.

On the discussion of tactics vs power. It's a VERY relative to balance thing, certain amounts of power can annihilate any tactic (a commando vs 10,000 men for example? =P), but a overwhelming amount of tactics doesn't really apply in the vice versa sense, tactics are the application of power. Tactics require 'enough' power to succeed.

Anyways, hi, i'm new here, just caught up with the manga now, long time "wanting" to read it but never got around to it. ;P lol