MySpace: Social Networking or Exploited and Dangerious?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hey, check out the last line in the wikipedia entry on escapism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escapism

You must be dead wrong if wikipedia says so.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

femto you are an immature ass. though i have to admit that was amusing :roll:. and why do you think i got a 2nd source? you didnt even touch that. I would check it again though...
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

MrFelony wrote:the dictionairy isn't wrong but you were. myspace IS A FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT. plain and simple. surfing the internet is a form of entertainment. why are you so thickheaded
You don't understand the concept of what entertainment is.

EDIT: Why am I even arguing with a twit that can't write shit properly?

I am leaving this thread forever.

MySpace sucks no matter how many shitty excuses you try to put around that.

Period.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

i never said myspace rocked. i only said it was a means to escape from reality. and speaking of periods, has your's finally ended? seems like it has been going on for a good 6 months. with a huge influx of new people you seem meaner than i remember you being 6 months ago. i guess we'll have to agree to disagree
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hahahaha.

I love how you changed the wikipedia entry.

Very original, especially considering that I did the same thing 3 minutes earlier.

"Oh, I'll get him back for this by changing it to something witty like he did!"

What a sore loser.

You should be on MySpace.
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

this isnt even a fight about facts anymore...
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

MrFelony wrote:myspace is a whole different realm practically that people can go to where friends will accept them and, sometimes, acknowledge them and where meeting people is as easy as clicking "friend."
That's one of the reasons I think people use myspace. Meeting 'people' and meeting 'friends' online. And the concept of it sounds a bit pathetic to me. Meeting friends and people online because you can't get any in real life, that's what it sounds like to me. I don't find it to be any source of escapism or entertainment. Let's see, if I make friends with people in real life, am I somehow escaping my daily routine and my life just by being and making friends with those individuals? The concept of myspace is the same as that in real life, except you do it online under anonymity, and post pictures that may or may not be your own. If you want to meet people, try going outside the door first. Because it's so entertaining to meet people and helps to escape the daily woes.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Not everyone does it to meet people. Like I said alot of people just use it as different way to communicate with their friends.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hey.

Remember when I said "I'm leaving this thread forever"?

Just kidding.

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Femto wrote:Hey.

Remember when I said "I'm leaving this thread forever"?

Just kidding.

Cool beans.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

This topic has become extremely unamusing. This is now more like bashing a group of people instead of a site being safe or not.

I may not be a crazy fan of myspace but I see it as a form of entertainment. These forums are more entertainment then imformative to me. Saying myspace isn't entertainment is like saying "Rap" isn't music. Some believe it is and others believe it is not.

P.S. I may not listen to a lot of new rap but I see it as music anyway. Some may say it's poetry with beats but so is rock and pop if you want it too.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Malvado wrote:I may not be a crazy fan of myspace but I see it as a form of entertainment. These forums are more entertainment then informative to me. Saying myspace isn't entertainment is like saying "Rap" isn't music. Some believe it is and others believe it is not.
In my last post, I was gonna go on to say that 'this forum can also be a form of escapism, as well as most popular websites on the internet' BUT i figured this conversation wasn't going anywhere so it would be a waste to say much more on the subject of escapism.

Anyway, I don't think anyone here is defending MySpace. It's just a popular site that's been horribly abused. It could've been a decent site, but the users are who make the site what it is. If you have a bunch of average joes using it, then the quality of the site as a whole, diminishes. Sure the creators couldve (or should've) made a better layout that would restrict people from creating horrible pages, but it's supposed to be open ended and up to the user. In theory that sounds like a good idea, but average joes don't know anything about basic web design. These people will make convoluted pages by copying and pasting html code without even realizing how horrible it looks and how their design actually makes it harder to navigate the page.

In the end, MySpace is just a fad. We just have to wait until a newer and better site replaces it. MySpace is getting old and is getting a lot of negative publicity, which is a good sign of it's inevitable downfall. Hopefully the next MySpace will have a smarter layout. Though it may too suffer the same fate, since the users may once again destroy the purity of the site.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Eldo wrote:That's one of the reasons I think people use myspace. Meeting 'people' and meeting 'friends' online. And the concept of it sounds a bit pathetic to me. Meeting friends and people online because you can't get any in real life, that's what it sounds like to me. I don't find it to be any source of escapism or entertainment. Let's see, if I make friends with people in real life, am I somehow escaping my daily routine and my life just by being and making friends with those individuals? The concept of myspace is the same as that in real life, except you do it online under anonymity, and post pictures that may or may not be your own. If you want to meet people, try going outside the door first. Because it's so entertaining to meet people and helps to escape the daily woes.
i don't think you understand what escapism is...you see, by going about your daily life, making friends, and interacting with the real world you are actively involved in your life. if you spent all your time playing video games or looking for more friends on myspace you would be escaping from the real world and creating a sort of alternate reality for yourself, one where you possibly have lots of "friends". people also create fake accounts using the pictures of hot people or w/e. most of these probably do it for a laugh, but i don't doubt that some of these people really do it because they yearn for that kind of attention.

and femto, thanks for thinking what i wrote was witty ;). I am on myspace. i hardly use it now, but its decently edited.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Escapism FTW!
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

MrFelony wrote:i don't think you understand what escapism is...
Oh, I think I do. I scanlate manga, play games, etc as sources of entertainment. What I don't do is write personal information about myself on a website for the entire world to read, whoring myself in the process. What I also don't do on this forum or EG blog and releases is release my own real life information or about my real life experiences and the such, like 'my girlfriend dumped me last weekend so me and Trish and Danny went and got hammered by drinking at the Rouge bar downtown and we ended up 6 feet under'.

So if releasing personal information on the internet that nobody will read besides potential employers who do background checks is escapism, then congratulations on potentially incriminating yourself. Slashing your wrists is also escapism and should be grouped with video games because it's equally as fun. You should try it, I'm sure if you put that information on your Myspace everyone will read it as part of the escapism journey. Perhaps the disease will spread and everyone will slit their wrists because it will become the latest fad.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I slit my wrist everytime I see a MrFelony post.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

well shit, i might start posting more then heh. btw i thought some of you might enjoy this as well http://www.pointsincase.com/columns/justin/7-12-06.htm.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Killing yourself is a fad look at japan! They having tons of group suicides nowadays.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Eldo wrote: So if releasing personal information on the internet that nobody will read besides potential employers who do background checks is escapism, then congratulations on potentially incriminating yourself. Slashing your wrists is also escapism and should be grouped with video games because it's equally as fun. You should try it, I'm sure if you put that information on your Myspace everyone will read it as part of the escapism journey. Perhaps the disease will spread and everyone will slit their wrists because it will become the latest fad.
I post about my personal life in my LJ but i have nothing to hide, so I personally could care less if anyone tried to do a background check on me by looking at my postings online.

Anyone who hasnt signed up and used MySpace at one point, can't argue whether it's escapism or not. There are things you can only understand if you have used the site or have read a detailed summary of the uses of it. I'm sure some of you don't know of all the features and how people use them.

Filling out and posting random quizzes is definitely escapism.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

the reason why i argue escapism is because its something that i have found myself doing so often with video games, reading when i was younger, the internet, television. even exercising to some degree. i find that, mostly during school, i used video games a lot of escape from the responsibilities i had, and with myspace and facebook to somepoint i use that to escape to some degree as well. the main reason why i argue that escapism through myspace exists is because I've done it as one point in my life and can safely assume that some people i've sene do it to a much larger degree. I just can't agree with you femto and eldo because from my personal experiences and observations, i know it exists.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I too keep a livejournal, but I lock all of my posts so that only people on my friends list can see them. Mainly I write them for me, because as a writer, it's something I like to do. A journal helps me to vent or express ideas, and makes a great resource, if I forget about something important. I let my friends read it in case they're curious as to what I've been up to, but I don't have many people on my list. Most of them are old friends who live in a different city. I wouldn't call my journal escapism. In fact, it's one of the places were I face the reality of my life, well, when I'm not talking about anime or something. I get all my escapism elsewhere. I can't believe people use Myspace to escape. I can think of all kinds of better mediums. As far as a source of communication, that's different, but I can think of better mediums in that regard too, heh.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

The reason why i think that what you do with live journal probably isn't escapism is because you don't use it to escape. what you do is something healthy in my opinion. this very reason that a lot of you don't use myspace or live journal to escape seems to be the very reason why you don't believe myspace or live journal could be used as escapism. but starnum, if you were to write up an alternate life, pretty much lying about what's been going on or creating a whole different life what so ever, then the story would be completely different. one's person trash is another person's treasure. i think why some peopel would choose myspace as a way to escape is becuase it, like other mediums, provides people who actually exist to help create the illusion of popularity or whatever need someone who is escaping from their real life needs. with many not-so-attractive girls, i imagine that they get a decent self-esteem boost from the insane amount of desperate horny guys on myspace. cause seriously, half the girls on there that get hit on i wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Exactly, more reasons I think the site is lame, but that's just my take on it.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

ImageImageImage
angi
imanewbie

Post by angi »

I can't tell if that is a monkey or a really ugly man, perhaps a wrestler.

BTW, I am too old for myspace. People my age are like banned n stuff.