World Cup 2006

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

USA had such a great game today. To be able to tie with Italy with a shortage of players, wow, but still USA HAD IT. it was all USA today, great possesion and overall shots on goal. The goal being taken away was such a huge disappointment, but we will see next game to see the final results.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

0_o

I don't know about possesion... Italy had the ball most of the time, even during the time when they were playing 10 players to the US' 11. Props to the US keeper though for shutting the Italians out after the chaos ensued (that offsides goal the italians had should have counted, but it was a tough call to make on the field, admittedly)

I hope their match with Ghana is at least a lot cleaner than it was with Italy. They'll be forced to play without the two who were expelled from this match though, so it seems they will already be at a slight disadvantage. I'll still be rooting for Ghana to represent Africa though, go Ghana!

Oddly enough, the only big name team that has been playing consistently well is Argentina (who beat Brazil in the south american qualifications). Let's see how Brazil does on Sunday. They need to put Robinho in and take Ronaldo's fat ass out. They really have no excuse for playing as sluggishly as they did last time...
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

It was just Croatia kickin asses :wink: :lol:

BTW next game is Croatia vs. Japan... hopefully we won't screw up :o

Go primates! :lol:
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Brazil versus Australia.

Best Australia could do is draw.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Wandering_Mystic wrote:0_o

I don't know about possesion... Italy had the ball most of the time, even during the time when they were playing 10 players to the US' 11. Props to the US keeper though for shutting the Italians out after the chaos ensued (that offsides goal the italians had should have counted, but it was a tough call to make on the field, admittedly)

I hope their match with Ghana is at least a lot cleaner than it was with Italy. They'll be forced to play without the two who were expelled from this match though, so it seems they will already be at a slight disadvantage. I'll still be rooting for Ghana to represent Africa though, go Ghana!

Oddly enough, the only big name team that has been playing consistently well is Argentina (who beat Brazil in the south american qualifications). Let's see how Brazil does on Sunday. They need to put Robinho in and take Ronaldo's fat ass out. They really have no excuse for playing as sluggishly as they did last time...
Qualifications has nothing to do with WC. Brazil lost 5 times in the qualifies to 2002 and they had never lost a qualification game to WC. So everyone thought they would but they run all over everyone.

Argentina are much more dangerous now though than a couple of years cause of Riquelme,Messi,Saviola,Teves and Crespo is a scary attack.
panasonic

Post by panasonic »

man, if italy continues to play like they did today, they're not gonna win the world cup. they couldnt even beat the US even though they had more players
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Daedelus
Location: This Island Earth! (Can be yours, if the Price is Right!)

Post by Daedelus »

Queue up more "TEH US IS AWEOME AT SOCCER, BUT THEY CALL IT FOOTBALL" articles from American media.

Ugh.

Have I mentioned I like England lately? I like England.
Pikachupast
Found the Edit button

Post by Pikachupast »

I hope Australia get Brazil into trouble. XDD. I like to see them suffering. Muahahaha
Aprovecha tus buenos momentos y disfruta al máximo de tu vida, a fin de cuentas no saldremos vivos de ésta. ^^
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

panasonic wrote:man, if italy continues to play like they did today, they're not gonna win the world cup. they couldnt even beat the US even though they had more players
Damn Italy screwed up big time. "Chapeau" for the US, but Italy had to win to make sure they went through. Now Italy has to face the strongest of the group. Also bad luck with that own goal, everything went wrong from there on.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

panasonic wrote:man, if italy continues to play like they did today, they're not gonna win the world cup. they couldnt even beat the US even though they had more players
After that game Italy is off my list of potential winners.

Now it will be beteween Arg,Brazil,Spain.
ddem1

Post by ddem1 »

Oh well, there goes Croatia, right down the toilet :lol:
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Australia played a nice match, but those Brazilians ... were lucky? But still, Australia has a good chance to get into the next round.
panasonic

Post by panasonic »

australia did pretty good against brazil, but brazil managed to get in two goals. i was kinda surprised how the strikers for brazil kept on geting switched
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Brazil arent playing good as a team but thier individual players are too good for any team.

But they will need team plays against great team like for example Arg to win in the playoff.

Australia played very good thanks to genius tactician Hiddink and should have scored atleast one goal.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Libaax wrote:Brazil arent playing good as a team but thier individual players are too good for any team.

But they will need team plays against great team like for example Arg to win in the playoff.

Australia played very good thanks to genius tactician Hiddink and should have scored atleast one goal.
I guess I'll have to take my words back on Hiddink, he is better than I thought/expected. He did a great job on Australia.

btw, France played like one of the crappiest games evar! Korea totally owned the last 20 minutes. And damn, I feel sorry for Zidane.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Brazil was quite bad this sunday. Hope they get on track against Japan. We're on the next phase, anyway.

I think there's no possibility (mathematically speaking) of Brazil playing against Arg or Italy.

I'm still not thinking Brazil will be champion, but I'll root for them anyway.
Pikachupast
Found the Edit button

Post by Pikachupast »

Wait till you watch Spain, man, XDD. Here we go!!
Aprovecha tus buenos momentos y disfruta al máximo de tu vida, a fin de cuentas no saldremos vivos de ésta. ^^
Daedelus
Location: This Island Earth! (Can be yours, if the Price is Right!)

Post by Daedelus »

Pikachupast wrote:Wait till you watch Spain, man, XDD. Here we go!!
Tunisia kept Spain in check just about all game. They finally got tired at the end of the match, so in came in the scores. I definately wasn't impressed with the starters, and the subs definately helped. It looks to me that Aragonés is still trying to find a good formula.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Spain has the best bench.

A player like Reyes who would be a starter in most teams in WC didnt even play.

Spain and Argentina the only ones who really shine.

Despite Tunisia played good spain passed the well all game long and at last they coulndt be stopped.
frosty
imanewbie

Post by frosty »

My thoughts :

Argentina - Showing glimpses of a WC Champion. Hope they don't take the route of the Johan Cryuff led Holland's "Total Football" and implode.

Brazil - Underachieving. Lazy. Basing their play on their reputation and defensively flawed. Fatty should go and make more $$$ being a spoke person for a slimming centre.

England - Mentally weak, they've only played 15mins of football after Rooney came on. By far the most boring team to watch.

Croatia - Well organise. Missing the likes of Davur Sukur to provide the clinical finish.

Italy - That own goal, what can I say. Italy looks cursed. So unlucky although Rossi deserved the red card 100%.

Spain - Hungry. One of the luckiest team so far. All the years of bad luck has finally worn off .

Netherland - Is there more to them than Robben ? Cocu will be sorely miss. Team looks young and needed the maturity from older astute players. Van Persie & Robben are both show boats. They will become the bottle neck for goals.

Germany - Home ground advantage ought to make a big difference. Ballack is so full of himself, I think he is going to miss a penalty.

Portugal - Cristiano Ronaldo needs to go back to basics and just play simple football to help the team and not himself. His limited supply of assist is killing the team who only has Pauletta who isn't exactly a clinical finisher like Van Nisterooy.

Australia - Hiddinks....Hiddinks....Hiddinks. Actually they do have good players. They just needed someone to give them the self belief and make full use of the talents.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Spain isnt just lucky, they are playing great football.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Worst team so far: France

I mean, they got these old cows on the field which participated in the world cup of 1998. Zidane has nothing left, accept it! btw, am I the only one that noticed that the team of France exists practically only out of of black people. Only Barthez and Sagnon are white. No I'm not a racist, but France is European (yes they had colonies in afrika, but still...). They should put in Trezeguet more in the game, he could make a huge difference.
ddem1

Post by ddem1 »

France is in deep shit. First of all they need a better trainer who will be able to form a good team out of newer players and not just rely on old farts like Sagnol... I mean they were great once but this is just pathetic. And yeah Trezeguet and Hhenry need to play together.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The coach of Ecaudor is very bold, he plays his b-team and loses against Germany means like me he thinks England is overrated and that they can take them.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

To the guys who said that Brazil should change Ronaldo with Robinho...looks like our coach is changing Adriano with Robinho. So Robinho will be in, but Ronaldo will be there too :(