Is this the end of PirateBay?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Is this the end of PirateBay?

Post by BasouKazuma »

PDF file ----> http://www.mpaa.org/press_releases/2006_05_31.pdf
http://thepiratebay.org/

It aint over yet, but who would have guessed that it would come to this?

Truthfully, I havent really used PirateBay all that much lately, but it was a good site to have around.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Honestly, I never needed to use that site. I checked it out long ago but wasn't impressed.
Maybe they got better since, but I never needed to go there. There's hundreds of sites like it. It's only fault that led to it's downfall was it's popularity. Such is the way of pirating.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

I used TPB a few time here and there once and a while not too often though, hopefulyl another torrent site doesn't go down yet, if it does another one will pop up.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I used to live at The Pirate Bay. But in the last month I was having a lot of trouble with them so I moved on.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

I used TPB to get my series, CSI, Lost, Invasion etcetera.
But I guess I have to find another site now.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

there are tons of torrent sites out there so this is just "cut one down and two will grow back".

i usually search isohunt.org for my torrent needs.
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

I use this one

http://ts.kurtubba.com/

It searches through all torrent sites, or I just go to Torrentspy, but I gave up on torrents anyway, Emule is my new download pet :lol:
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

I used this one frequently, i hope they can get around. =/
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Thank god for DHT. I had some old torrents from TPB that i hadnt gotten around to downloading. So I just opened up the files with Azureus, hoping that they would still connect to a good amount of peers and they all did. :D

Edit: Check out TPB's site. They say they'll be back in a day or two.

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1204
Great cheers of jubilee echoed in the entertainment Halls of Justice yesterday, confident of their victory against the great Satan, ThePirateBay.org. ThePirateBay.org, as many are aware, was perhaps the largest BitTorrent tracker in history. Although it was regarded as little more than a pillar of piracy by the entertainment industry, it provided a simple avenue and interface for artists to release creative commons work to the P2P crowd.

This world came crumbling down on May 31, 2006. Seemingly immune from copyright infringement prosecution in their native Sweden, police from the National Crime Unit executed raids against the Internet Service Provider Rex|Port 80 and web host PRQ.

After the successful execution of the raids, the entertainment industry’s media machines went into full force. The MPA (Motion Picture Association) claimed Swedish Authorities had “sunk the Pirate Bay.” The IFPI (International Federation and Phonographic Industry) also clamored the raids, stating “This is a very good development for the Swedish music industry and for the real innovators and entrepreneurs who are trying to build a legal online digital business.” Antipiratbyrån, the Swedish anti-piracy bureau, also expressed its satisfaction after a long string of copyright enforcement impotence.

So now that ThePirateBay.org is offline, the celebration can go into high gear, right?

Remember we’re dealing with file-sharing, the ubiquitous hydra that simply cannot die no matter how many press releases you throw at it. If you destroy one file-sharing network, another will take its place. Remove ten BitTorrent indexing sites, 20 more will pick up the slack. ThePirateBay.org is no different, but in holding true to their nature as defiant to the entertainment industry, this BitTorrent tracker and indexer is scheduled to return within two days.

Although all tracking and indexing abilities are currently offline, ThePirateBay.org domain is still functioning. For the last 36 hours, it has been providing various updates on the raids and status of its administration. And true to their nature as being defiant in the face of the entertainment industry, ThePirateBay.org’s days are far from over.

In large, bold text, the following text is scrolled mid-screen:

“SITE DOWN - WILL BE UP AND FULLY FUNCTIONAL WITHIN A DAY OR TWO”

Yesterday, ThePirateBay.org spokesperson “brokep” informed Slyck.com “we are moving it to another country if necessary.” It appears ThePirateBay.org is making good on this promise. Carl Lundström, employee of Rix|Port80 told Slyck.com “As I take it, they have bought new servers, installed back-ups and are already up and running tests in at least one foreign server centre.”

It seems once again the entertainment industry is about to shoot itself in the foot, unable to stop the global spread of file-sharing. Considering the speed in which ThePirateBay.org is scheduling its return, (which requires a substantial amount of logistics, organization, leadership, and not to mention equipment), it would appear they were well prepared for this event. The same cannot be said about the entertainment industry.
panasonic

Post by panasonic »

pwned!

them piraters sure know how to get things done right

+1
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Well piratbyrån that has made their lifeswork to take TPB down sure dont know what they are doing to be honest. Last time they had made an illegal razzia so the whole thing went up in flames. I wonder if they have done the same thing once again, stupid as they are :P

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

The Pirate Bay's back! Search function is currently disabled but, you can still browse around.

They are working on being hosted in 4 separate countries, 2 of which will just host the announce servers (trackers). This would make it even harder to take down, than it previously was.
panasonic

Post by panasonic »

wow that was fast

pirates ftw!
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

When they're making an estimated $60,000 a month from advertising, I think they can afford to put their servers wherever they want :P.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Looks like they're back up and running.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
panasonic

Post by panasonic »

thats y i use firefox, blocks most of them annoying pop ups :D

Daedelus
Location: This Island Earth! (Can be yours, if the Price is Right!)

Post by Daedelus »

panasonic wrote:thats y i use firefox, blocks most of them annoying pop ups :D
*le sigh*

Can we stop doing this crap? Please?
panasonic

Post by panasonic »

huh?

on another note, its kinda funny reading frenglish, or jus an attempt at being spiffy

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

source
STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- Hundreds of people waving signs and skull-and-crossbones pirate flags demonstrated in Stockholm on Saturday against a police crackdown on a popular file-sharing Web site with millions of users worldwide.

Dozens of police officers conducted raids in 10 locations Wednesday, seizing servers and other computer equipment in their crackdown on The Pirate Bay site.

But the site was back up Saturday, and spokesman Tobias Andersson said it would be "bigger and better than ever."

"We want an apology from the police and from the Justice Ministry, and we want our servers back," Andersson said.

He said the site is now mirrored on other sites around the world.

"It will be much stronger now. If police shut down a site, these other sites will be there to keep Pirate Bay working."

The Pirate Bay, started in early 2004, has 10 million to 15 million users each day, Andersson said.

He said the people running The Pirate Bay were not responsible for a hacker attack that shut down the Web site of Sweden's national police on Thursday, but added there many Swedish file sharers probably were angry about the crackdown.

Police spokesman Lars Lindahl said Friday it was not clear who attacked the police site, which was running again Saturday.

The music, movie and software industries say pirated works cost them hundreds of millions of dollars in lost sales each year.
My people are rising up!

Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

LOL
wow they really fought back hard.
if you are a rich rich pirate i guess you have much resources.
how much beli will be the reward for this pirate team?
=)
Daedelus
Location: This Island Earth! (Can be yours, if the Price is Right!)

Post by Daedelus »

You can only push the people so hard before they break and rebel.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Hehe e-piracy is so common here in Sweden(over a million or so of the populace, of 9 million) that even the politicians who are campaigning in the coming election, are avoiding the subject like the plague(afraid of alienating a group of voters), instead of criticising the illegality of it and getting cheaps points like most politicians do.

Like the ones who motioned for the shut down do. Which are part of the goverment, the goverment that now have huge problems due to allegedly getting pressured of MPAA and other interest groups, and shutting it down TPB because of it.

Hehe, there is even a pirates political party running in the coming election(those who organized the demonstrations), estimated to do well for themselves and that they are even more popular then Green inviromental party that are part of the goverment now.

They were supposed to be a typical small rebelling civil insubordinate group, not get bigger and bigger and more popular due to the shutting of TPB.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

source
Stalking, MPAAs new(?) modus operandi

For those of you who haven't followed the Swedish news, a quite funny (or tragic) thing has surfaced: Apparently, on several different occasions, MPAAs Swedish lawyers hired a private eye to stalk me! This must've been very entertaining for the poor Tex Murphy clone doing the actual groundwork, as my daily activites can basically be summed up as "eat, sleep, work" (often on very odd hours).

It kind of flattens me to get this level of attention from my dear pals at MPAA, and it really adds nicely to the image of them being raving lunatics (the Swedish Antipiratbyrån are calm, rational and fair in comparision!).

Because they started it, I'm going to do some stalking of my own! Hah!

As a starter, I'll just note that MPAAs Swedish lawyer has forgotten to pay her bills on time on several occasions, mostly parking tickets (despite earning over $100k/year)...
Indeed.....
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Heh....

The biggest news lately about this has been that.

A source are saying that US goverment threatened the Swedish goverment with Trade Sanctions if they didn't stop sites like TPB.

Talk about Power abuse for a little thing like pirates specially when there are 100000 sites like TBP.

I wonder what the Sweden and EU will do about the threat.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Sweden has to do something as they must conform to EU regulations or risk loosing EU status.

Follow the money, greed makes the world go 'round.