Which BT client do you use?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Which BT client do you use?

Azureus
37%
ABC
3%
Bitcomet
16%
BitTornado
8%
uTorrent
11%
Hey you didn't mention <insert obscure client>!
13%
Just the regular bittorrent.
13%

Total votes: 38

Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Azeureus is a memory hog it seems also, thats one of the reasons why I dumped it.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

That is due the fact it is written in java, which does indeed eat a lot of resources. The good news is that it runs on just about any OS, which is double plus for me since it pays to have OS agnostic software.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

psi29a wrote:That is due the fact it is written in java, which does indeed eat a lot of resources. The good news is that it runs on just about any OS, which is double plus for me since it pays to have OS agnostic software.
Yeah, that´s the main problem of Azureus, i usually just let it on when i´m not using the comp, it´s not that big deal to me.
Last edited by Deathbringer on Thu May 11, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I use BitComet, Daedelus refered it to me and so far it's working pretty damn well.
ImageImage
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Tempest wrote:I use BitComet, Daedelus refered it to me and so far it's working pretty damn well.
Again, I would recommend not to use BitComet, I may end up banning its use. Sorry.
Wikipedia wrote:During versions 0.59 to 0.60, BitComet was receiving bad publicity because of an incomplete implementation of the DHT feature. DHT is a protocol that can connect peers without the need of a tracker. BitComet's implementation did not respect the 'private' flag of a torrent, allowing other DHT users outside of a private site to access and download that site's files if 1) the tracker is down, 2) 'Add DHT Network as backup tracker' option is selected and 3) the torrent file has been shared out. This in turn allowed users that hadn't signed up to avoid download and upload ratio restrictions, which are common on private trackers. Many private trackers (including BitSpirit) have now banned all versions because of the flawed implementation of the DHT feature that is unfair to the peers on the private tracker. Although this problem of not respecting the private flag was solved in the 0.61 release, there are still many DHT leaks. Thus BitComet remains banned on many private trackers.

Two of the major DHT bugs were fixed with the release of BitComet 0.64. These were editing the .xml file of the active .torrent to allow not only DHT but PEX to run as well. The other bug is pasting "DHT Network" into the tracker list in the properties section of a .torrent.

BitComet's upload slot limit is known not to work. BitComet has also been accused of favoring other BitComet users on uploads, hammering trackers, dropping piece requests, and other similar "cheating" techniques.
also there is a great comparison of BT clients here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... t_software
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Wikipedia wrote:During versions 0.59 to 0.60, BitComet was receiving bad publicity because of an incomplete implementation of the DHT feature. DHT is a protocol that can connect peers without the need of a tracker. BitComet's implementation did not respect the 'private' flag of a torrent, allowing other DHT users outside of a private site to access and download that site's files if 1) the tracker is down, 2) 'Add DHT Network as backup tracker' option is selected and 3) the torrent file has been shared out. This in turn allowed users that hadn't signed up to avoid download and upload ratio restrictions, which are common on private trackers. Many private trackers (including BitSpirit) have now banned all versions because of the flawed implementation of the DHT feature that is unfair to the peers on the private tracker. Although this problem of not respecting the private flag was solved in the 0.61 release, there are still many DHT leaks. Thus BitComet remains banned on many private trackers.

Two of the major DHT bugs were fixed with the release of BitComet 0.64. These were editing the .xml file of the active .torrent to allow not only DHT but PEX to run as well. The other bug is pasting "DHT Network" into the tracker list in the properties section of a .torrent.

BitComet's upload slot limit is known not to work. BitComet has also been accused of favoring other BitComet users on uploads, hammering trackers, dropping piece requests, and other similar "cheating" techniques.
Yes...uh...cheating is...so bad...

Azureus is broken for me because of the memory hog, and the fact my computer has tendencies to explode. Which is why the rest of my house has bomb shelters. Nah, my comp's just a piece of shit.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Azureus eats alot of information from either good computer and shitty computers, of course the owners of the shitty computers are the ones who are going to cry hard.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

Now I feel strange for using the vanilla BT client.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

arke wrote:Now I feel strange for using the vanilla BT client.
I always knew there was something strange about you...now I know why. *gaspshockhorror*

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
EvaXephon
imanewbie

Post by EvaXephon »

BitLord

Although, all BitTorrent files download slowly for me, no matter what client I'm using. =(
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

azureus doesnt seem like a memory hog to me, but i may be cos i have a decent amount of ram :?
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

It uses 50Megs of ram, on average for me. Laptop and Work machine have around 768Megs, so... its trivial for me. Though I could imagine that those with 256 or 512 (typical default machines bought) that it can be hard to part with that 50Megs of ram which could be used for say Firefox or Thunderbird.
panasonic

Post by panasonic »

i got 760, and i have pagefile of 2gigs, so maybe thats y
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

Fatal_CobraX
imanewbie

Post by Fatal_CobraX »

Omg..
I'm the only one who uses ABC?!
... Whats the real difference with azureus being so much better?
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Fatal_CobraX wrote:Omg..
I'm the only one who uses ABC?!
... Whats the real difference with azureus being so much better?
Its just that you can add plugins and it has many features.

panasonic

Post by panasonic »

for me azureus just tends to connect to better seeders/peers, it may be just luck, but overall i get better performance

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

source

Basically this is about protecting yourself while using bit-torrent, specifically uTorrent in which you can use it's built in feature (disabled by default) to block known anti-p2p operations that floods everyone with bogus data, and tattles your IP to the RIAA/MPAA/etc. By flooding, what it does is send you junk, meaning that you have to re-download a piece several times before you get a valid piece. Thanks to their efforts, it could take you double (or more) the time download the files.

Now, this guide shows you how to do it but in Azueus, it comes standard in a plugin. Sure it will eat memory, however it:
a) blocks people who send junk data
b) blocks organizations that want to shut down bit-torrent
c) updates automatically with latest lists.

this improves the rate of download.

So, Azureus for the win!
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Thanks for the tip psi, now a question in Utorrent should I have DHT enabled or not?

Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

thanks for the info, psi!
=)
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Thanks psi, I will check this out. :beer:
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

i use ABC and bittornado. Yeah, i like to live in the past.

I'll check out utorrent though.
3rdbloodage
Mastered PM

Post by 3rdbloodage »

Right Now (BitComet)
But Looks like i will Try To use another Torrent client .. After i finishing the current projects

Someone told me about this client (BitSpirit) http://www.167bt.com/intl/

but i will return to use Azureus
Never Forget Image Never Forgive