WTF? In your face, Bush!

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Daedelus
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!
Location: This Island Earth! (Can be yours, if the Price is Right!)

Post by Daedelus »

You're out of your mind. Every comedian is their own cliche. You really must hate a lot of people if that's your problem.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Actually many "clichès" dont bother me but Colbert does.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

I actually have no idea what you're talking about libaax. I think maybe cliche is the wrong word to use here.

Colbert is ultra sarcastic, which is the core essence of most (if not all) comedy (or at least within American comedy). It's not cliche as much as a fundamental building block to comedy there. It is a shame you don't like him, but that's your loss I suppose.

Colbert and Stewart have very different styles (where Stweart actually acts more like his real self, and Colbert plays a role that is entirely the opposite of what he actually believes). Colbert's character is the epitome of the typical American right-wing pundit, and by playing that character he exposes these people's mind-boggling stupidity in humorous form. He does such a good job playing this role that he is pretty successful in getting conservatives to come on his show when they might not come on Stewart's more well known liberal show "The Daily Show". The most amazing thing is that it is all an act, and somehow he manages to keep his face straight.

I like both of them, as well as most of the cast in the daily show. For the kind of show that the Cobert Report is, I can't think of anyone who could do it better than Colbert himself. Of all the fake reporters in the Daily Show, he had the strongest presence and usually the sharpest kind of jokes.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Libaax wrote:Actually many "clichès" dont bother me but Colbert does.
Name 5 people who do are part of this "Cliche" that AREN'T part of or used to be part of The Daily Show. As for Stewart, he's funny, but all he does it read funny news. Saturday Night Live has been doing that for almost 30 years. He's been doing it a hell of a lot better than them (At least the Tina Fey/Jimmy Fallon era), but he's not doing anything new. He has added in a dash of Bill Maher by using actual events and quotes to make the funny, but it's not like he's braving a new frontier. The formula is still the same:

1.) Find funny/ridiculous new or take a funny/ridiculous spin on real news
2.) ?????
3.) Profit
ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

When i say Colbert is a clichè i mean he is doing what too many comedians have done before and not doing it even good. I admit i have seen on or two gags he did that was fun but then he did the same thing 10000 times.

Stewert is great not cause he is good with reading funny news but he has a diffrent and funny style which he approaches his comedy with. He can look at you in a way that can make you laugh.

Colbert is like Conan O´Brian but less funny.

Chappelle now that someone who does things people havent done with his show,movies and stand up.
Daedelus

Post by Daedelus »

Libaax wrote:Chappelle now that someone who does things people havent done with his show,movies and stand up.
Pardon my English here.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Haha, how funny and original! A black man who makes fun of people of all creeds! How totally new and fresh! Never done by Richard Pryor/Chris Rock/Steve Harvey/Eddie Murphy or anyone else, ever!

You picked the worst example ever of someone who isn't a cliche. I'm not calling any of the above unfunny (Pryor was a god among men) but c'mon man! You basically call Colbert a hack yet praise Chapelle for someting something different?
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

... I don't understand the Conan O'Brien comparison either. In what way do you think they are alike? I can't really think of anything, other then they both inject humor in their shows (and completely different kinds of humor, at that). One does a late night talk show, the other does a fake pundit/news hack show. One is self depricating, the other pretends to be a power-hungry egomaniac.

About his gags, I think they are pretty funny most of the time, and few comedians are ever innocent of milking a gag for all its worth, Stewart included. I guess Colbert just rubs you the wrong way, but I don't really understand why

*shrugs*
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Daedelus wrote:
Libaax wrote:Chappelle now that someone who does things people havent done with his show,movies and stand up.
Pardon my English here.

Haha, how funny and original! A black man who makes fun of people of all creeds! How totally new and fresh! Never done by Richard Pryor/Chris Rock/Steve Harvey/Eddie Murphy or anyone else, ever!

You picked the worst example ever of someone who isn't a cliche. I'm not calling any of the above unfunny (Pryor was a god among men) but c'mon man! You basically call Colbert a hack yet praise Chapelle for someting something different?
If you think his comedy is only about making fun of people then its your view of him. I know what Eddy Murhpy and the others did before.

I only think Chappelle is the best at what he do,yes he makes fun of people but who cares if he does better than those before him. Or are you saying just cause he is black he cant make fun of people of all creeds....

For example The Prince sketch he did in his show was one of the funnist thing i have ever seen.

Prior was way before my time so i cant say how good he was.

Murhpy was great in Raw and Delirious and SNL.

Chris Rock is bad cause he is only about saying "oh we black do this and you white do this"

Also you can talk to me with sounding so arrogant,agressive.....
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Libaax wrote:
Daedelus wrote:
Pardon my English here.

If you think his comedy is only about making fun of people then its your view of him. I know what Eddy Murhpy and the others did before.

I only think Chappelle is the best at what he do,yes he makes fun of people but who cares if he does better than those before him. Or are you saying just cause he is black he cant make fun of people of all creeds....

For example The Prince sketch he did in his show was one of the funnist thing i have ever seen.

Prior was way before my time so i cant say how good he was.

Murhpy was great in Raw and Delirious and SNL.

Chris Rock is bad cause he is only about saying "oh we black do this and you white do this"

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS THREAD!?!?!
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Went from media gathering humour at press & administration expense to comparison of comedians.

I can split this thread if you all want.

I personally like Dave, Conan, Steven, and John... all are great at making me laugh.
Daedelus

Post by Daedelus »

Daedelus wrote:I'm not calling any of the above unfunny (Pryor was a god among men) but c'mon man!
Quoted for truthiness. I never insulted in any way shape or form those men. They are great at what they do. Their gag is, at the base level making fun of groups of people, of which race, sexual orientation, eye color or what side of the bed they woke up on this morning may or may not be the common distinguishing factor.
Libaax wrote:Or are you saying just cause he is black he cant make fun of people of all creeds....
(snip)
Step 1, fuck off. I never said for a minute that just because he is black he can't make fun of people of all creeds. I am saying it's a very, very common theme to African-American comedians to use in their gags. Oh and no, I won't be talking to you without sounding so agressive. Not when you essentially call me a racist. Then you read what I say, turn around, and state that I said something I clearly did not.

Go ahead and argue against a wall further for all I care, Libaax. I'm not going to sit here and counter-prove the false statements you're putting toward me any longer.

I'm done in this thread.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Colbert's satire is genius, that is all I have to say. And Chris Rock is hilarious as well. People that have not heard all of his stand up usually say that "He just does the comparison gig."
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Daedelus wrote:
Daedelus wrote:I'm not calling any of the above unfunny (Pryor was a god among men) but c'mon man!
Quoted for truthiness. I never insulted in any way shape or form those men. They are great at what they do. Their gag is, at the base level making fun of groups of people, of which race, sexual orientation, eye color or what side of the bed they woke up on this morning may or may not be the common distinguishing factor.
Libaax wrote:Or are you saying just cause he is black he cant make fun of people of all creeds....
(snip)
Step 1, fuck off. I never said for a minute that just because he is black he can't make fun of people of all creeds. I am saying it's a very, very common theme to African-American comedians to use in their gags. Oh and no, I won't be talking to you without sounding so agressive. Not when you essentially call me a racist. Then you read what I say, turn around, and state that I said something I clearly did not.

Go ahead and argue against a wall further for all I care, Libaax. I'm not going to sit here and counter-prove the false statements you're putting toward me any longer.

I'm done in this thread.
Very mature of you to go fuck off all the time for no reason.....

I didnt call you a rasicst, i was just asking didnt you see my "?."

What do you mean false statements??? Just cause i dont think Colbert is good that means my oppinon is a false statment??

No reason to split this thread psi29 just lock it cause there are any point in talking to a guy that cant post without telling me to "fuck off"....
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Buzkashi wrote:That one Bush look alike did something very similar in which he pretended to be all of Bush's inner thoughts. God what was his name again?
Yeah, it was dead hilarious. Here's the link for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D10rgvQY ... ssociation
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter