Ch 251

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

he - Used to refer to a male animal.

male - Of, relating to, or designating the sex that has organs to produce spermatozoa for fertilizing ova.
Clearly, by the powers of Webster's dictionary...

Looks can be deceiving... ask any transvestite. You may of course still refer to them as female if you swing that way though. :twisted:

Point being, if you know the subject's name... then use it. That is far better than to refer to them as he, she, or it. The elf's name is Puck.
Last edited by psi29a on Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

psi29a wrote: Looks can be deceiving... ask any transvestite. You may of course still refer to them as female if you swing that way though. :twisted:
:shock:

Dude...it's alright if you confuse a guy to be a chick....but it's not the other way around. A pity though, because they hit harder than any male.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Puck shall now be refered to as Puck from now on. It seems so wierd not using pronouns. What about the other elf, shoudl we call her a her or by her name as well? She seems to look like a female.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I remember Puck having a nose bleed when Farnese was riding Guts' sword. So I think I can safely say he's male. The elven method of reproduction is different to humans, I gather.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

If the subject has a name, use the name. In this case, Evarella is the name of elf that is with Silke.

I'm just saying, if you are going to play the 'respect' game, then it is more polite to use their proper name than to use pronouns.

If you use pronouns, don't confuse the gender bias that comes attached with he and she.

For instance, how would you regard "Pat". The easy way out, is to refer 'it' as "Pat" because "Pat" is androgynous. This is the same case for Puck and Evarella.

While they may have characteristics that might leed you see them as female or male, those can be confused just as females that look male and males that look female. However, it is always correct (perhaps as a slap in the face to transgender people) to refer to the biology of the individual rather than their 'looks'.
Griffiss
imanewbie

Post by Griffiss »

As for being politically correct... as it turns out, Puck is--in fact--a fictional character.

I think I speak logic when I state that whatever we call the entity known as Puck, bet it pronoun, surnoun, person, place, thing, quality, action, or just a safe and easy explitive (you little ****!), the entity known as Puck will not complain.

He will not complain, because he's 2 dimensional, and inanimate to boot.

As for ditching Farnese for another member who is "more interesting"... we already have plenty of characters that appeal to homosexuality. You'll just have to hope for more male nudity if that's what you're into.

Deserve victory.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Well said Griffiss, though I'm sure Starlore would have something to say about that last statement. :P
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Last edited by Eldo on Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Somehow that picture doesnt apeal to me.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I would have thought it would appeal to you Buzkashi, she is about the same age as Schierke.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Umm NO. Add 10 more years on her and Ill take a shot at it. She looks 4 to me..
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Pictures gone, can't remember to well. But I think she is probably about 4 or 5. I was just messing with you.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Well, I changed it because psi pm'ed me and warned me about it. I didn't find the humour all that funny, but that was the first 'owned' picture I had hanging around. Changed it to bag on fire.

Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Its more appropriate thats for sure. But most things are.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I didnt find it that bad. But doesnt Psi have kids, or am I wrong?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh brother, let me clear this up for you. Puck is male. Miura just doesn’t want to draw his little genitalia. Why not put some clothes on him then? I don’t know, Miura is a freak like that. However, not drawing the genitalia is a common thing in anime and manga. I can point you to pics of Griffith and Gatts without any junk. Yes, I will admit, it’s possible that they’re asexual (the elves), but it’s very unlikely. Oh, and by the way, the other elf is named “Ivalera”, or at least that’s how it’s written in the manual that comes with the Berserk game. I just thought Psi might like to know that, since he prefers to use the “official” spellings. ;)

Anyway, no need to continue this conversation, so let us move on. Don’t worry about Puck; “he’ll” be okay.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Thats good to know, cause her name is not in the list of correct english spellings that was at the beginning of volume 27.

And glad thats overwith.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Well, I think Farnese might agree with some political marriage to get closer to her father and to rid the name of 'devil child'. Marriage with her brother? I hope I can say 'definitely not', since Muira doesn't promote incest, unless he wants to depict someone with a fragile state of mind (like the king who wanted to screw Charlotte.)

And Azan is somehow gone for the moment. Hope he comes out of the blue and ruins the wedding or whatever. :roll:

Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Oh yeah thats what we were talking about before we got on gender issues. I would think not marrying the brother. Even then brother sister incest was looked down upon. Well more marriage was shunned, I actually think the incest among nobility was quite common. They were all a little crazy back then. Thats what inbreeding does. But I coudl definately see arranging a marriage. Maybe the brother new someone to marry her to that could get him power in some way to show up the father. We will find out in like a week and a half now.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, I doubt it has anything to do with marriage, or at least I hope not. Although, it’s probably nothing wholesome, that’s for sure. For some reason, the thought of assassinating their old man came to mind, but I don't know how Farnese could help with that.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:For some reason, the thought of assassinating their old man came to mind, but I don't know how Farnese could help with that.
I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking along the lines that Farnese's marriage may have a sinister plot to overthrow her father and that Manifico might be the one who adminstrates it. Farnese wants to please her father, having 'dishonoured' him, and Manifico feels mistreated and denied recognition - which may be a motive for assasination. So, I saw Farnese as a puppet for Manifico. Marriage was like the only important thing for women in that era so that's why I thought marriage...I could be way off though...completely wrong....

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

What will the brother gain by marriage with his sister?

Its not like he can gain power that way.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
|||||||
Mastered PM

Post by ||||||| »

Perhaps "devil child" farneze can meddle with the other brothers business.
Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

So no more Farneze huh?? :? Fat chance.. As much as I hate to admit it she has become a useful member of the group. I would like to know what path Serpico would take now that Farnese isn't around.
"Context is for Kings"
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Serpico will almost certainly stick with her.

But Azan coming to the mansion to talk her back to her senses is an interesting thought, especially since we don't really know where Azan stands with respect to the old hierarchy.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.