Berserk is doing pretty well apparently.

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

N3oShweaty wrote:also, what volumes (if you had to choose some of them not all) would you recommend i buy for collectors purposes
Volume 13 is a no-brainer as it's problaby the single most important even in the series thus far.

My second pick/picks would be Vol. 21 and 22 which is where Griffith is reborn and where Guts fight Zodd respectively. It's easily the most tense moment post-Eclipse.
N3oShweaty
This is my new home

Post by N3oShweaty »

alright, those are some good suggestions for now. Thanks
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

bad news. The top ranked Berserk volume went down to number 91
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Dont worry it will make a comeback if only it could come here ;)
Luck-
Mastered PM

Post by Luck- »

Wow. i'm suprised people downloading the manga actually buys it. Don't worry i'm buying too. Collected vol. 2,5,6,7,8,9. 20 bucks a volume.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Actually, I don't think the people downloading it are buying it. Only (unfortunately) the minority. At least, here in Brazil. And you know why they buying it? They can't read in english. Unfortunately, my country has a reputation of gaining things without paying for it, so they only buy what they can't get free.

Like games. There are hundreds of people selling pirate games on the street. I'm not gonna lie to you, I've played many pirated games, but everytime a game catches my attention and is worth the price, I'll go and buy it.

Almost all games by Blizzard, everything 'Soul Reaver' related, Half-Life (1 and 2), and now World of Warcraft - which requires P2P.

Almost all my friends are playing in pirates servers of WoW. A shame :(
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

The goal here is spread the berserk love as much as possible, however... DH is at volume 10 now and EG started around volume 27. Once darkhorse gets to volume 27, then I do plan on removing the torrent from the tracker and ask that others delete it from the direct download section.

I do this because we offer english translations, as does darkhorse. If anyone wants to translate to say... portuguese, greek, or whatever then it is up to you and whoever distributes in that language.

If you can't find the volume, don't come looking here because I expect every one of the regulars to point to darkhorse or amazon.com. That is just how I feel about it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Me too if you like Berserk and dont wanna buy it ,you are a the worst kind of pirate.

I have always been the kind of guy who download things just to check them out or read them if they arent in book form like some mangas are.

My comics and manga collection is starting to get too big to keep them in my room :P
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

I thought hell would be big enough :P
Ash J. Williams
imanewbie

Post by Ash J. Williams »

With each new Manga that DH puts out, I delete my scanned copy and buy the hard copy. I figure if I like it, i should support the company that spends money to put it out so they can either put more out or start publishing something else that's good.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I dont care about the company who does the manga but about the mangaka.

If he is good enough he will get my money. If he sucks like Kishimoto of Naruto,hell no ;)
J2 Cool
notanewb

Post by J2 Cool »

Awesome news. And the Animator's Survival Kit is just a work of genius. Glad to see that's doing great. Richard Williams deserves it.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Around volume 13 and after, I bet they will be high on that list.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

yeah, it'll wake 'em up thats for damn sure

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

apocalypse what? apocalypse who?

:twisted:
Bow to Golbez
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Berserk is still in a hard second as of now, i´m quite surprised that it managed to outsell Naruto, it´s good news actually since Naruto is one of the most No-brainer over rated manga out there, along with Bleach.

I´m thinking seriously of buying the manga Berserk, the thing is that the tranlator that is working on Berserk also did Hellsing, and the Hellsing tranlation is fucking horrible, it really sucks, cliché german accents in every german character and cliché french accents on the french guy in the series, also Alucard sometimes sounds like a damn red neck, i mean according to the man´s portfolio* http://users.erols.com/arakis/personal/resume.html *, he should be editing videos not tranlating mangas.

What´s your opinion about the translations so far?
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

What Dark Horse is releasing is as good as it gets. They are Miura-Approved and uncensored. Buy 'em... NOW!
ImageImage
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Everyday a new Berserk Volume is out at the local comic shop is a good day. :)

So far, The Dark Horse volumes are real good.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ha, I think I've stated my beliefs on manga/anime piracy before, and let me tell you, they're not adjacent to those of Psi's. Let's just say I'm the worse kind of pirate, or as we like to be known, "real pirates". In anycase, I've always said I'd support Psi's wishes on the matter, though DH won't reach volume 27 for a while. Good thing I've already got all the chapters anyway. Just having seen them is almost good enough for me, really.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

So you wont ever get the books?
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

hat Dark Horse is releasing is as good as it gets. They are Miura-Approved and uncensored. Buy 'em... NOW!
It´s cool that it´s uncensured but i was talking about the translation itself, is it accurate?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Why woulndt be it be accurate? Also company like Viz only use the best translators.

If a normal guy can translate it and it sounds good why woulndt a pro be able to do the same?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

If you mean that if the translation will get butchered through Americanisation or if the translation will be literal, then the answer is no. It's one of the best translations of manga to the English language I've ever seen, and it's so damn pimp.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Bottom line is that DH and crew have been blessed by Miura personally. So I'll trust DH as gospel until otherwise proven guilty of bad translation by those that know more than me.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

I´m not flaming Dark Horse directly, what i´m afraid is that since Duane Johnson´s translation of Hellsing was rather poor (it caused some controversy in the Hellsing community) it may happen as well to Berserk, one of the things that bugged me in Dark Horse Hellsing is that they leave many of SFX raw and those awful, awful cliché german/french accents.
To be more specific here´s a post of one editor who´s fluent in japanese of a Hellsing Scanlation group, take note that i never read the Dark Horse volumes of Berserk, that´s why i´m asking in the first place and i had no idea that Miura blessed them.
Hum...i also just found out that he only started translating from book 4, weird.

Anyway, here´s the post, these mistranslation are only for Volume 1.
Below is the result of my reviewing volume 1. Volume 1 alone. Except Cross Fire, Hirano's handwriting and all of Anderson's line.

[page14]
"Vampires can only bleed more vampires by..."
-> "Draculs and Draculinas can only bleed more vampires by..."
「男吸血鬼(ドラクル)は処女を 女吸血鬼(ドラキュリーナ)は童ていの血液を吸ったときのみ...」
(Thess pointed this out on the Duane Johnson's resume topic. You can determine the meaning of these words from the context, right?)

[page35]
"I wanted to keep watching over and taking pride in the Hellsing blood that flows through you..."
-> "I wanted to keep watching over your noble spirit and blood handed down from the Hellsing family..."
「おまえに脈々と流れている ヘルシング家の血と誇り、もっとずっと見守っていてやりたかった・・・」

[page44]
"What were you thinking, father...?"
-> "You are a terrible person, father...."
「父上もひどい人だなあ・・・・・・」
(The former line works as an expression of her disappointment, but misses a comparative effect; She was facing a terrible reality/situation, running for her life from her own uncle)

[page59]
「先代はそう呼んでおられました」
"That's what your family has called me."
-> "That's what your father had called me."
("your family" is not accurate. "先代" means only the late head of the family, namely Arthur.
So there is a possibility Alucard had been called by other names before Arthur's time.)

[page69]
"If anyone catch them, we can!"
-> "I'm sure he'll catch up them very soon!"
「彼ならすぐ追いつく!」
(he = Alucard, them = the Bonnie and Clyde couple
Integra put emphasis on that 'Alucard' can do it.)

[page70]
"...and spacious walls, too.
 They used these people's blood to write massages.
 Blasphemous anti-Christian massages..."
-> "...and spacious walls to write messages on with their victims' blood
  --- to hurl defiance at Christianity and Christians."
「...そして必ず広いカベがある家だ
 くびり殺したその血でメッセージを残すための
 キリスト教に キリスト教徒に挑戦するためのだ」
(It's understandable that they changed the modification relation. Still, the last phrase seems too rough.)

[page79]
"Die!"
->"殺(sha)"/"Kill you"
「殺(シャー)」
(Alucard spoke CHINESE. Unbelievable? But he did.)
(Though "殺" is a kanji commonly used in Japanese, it doesn't work as Japanese by itself. And "シャー" is its pronunciation in Chinese. So I think it's better to leave it as a foreign word and show the pronunciation in pin-yin.)

[page85]
"...No! Nooo!"
-> "Y...Ya!"
「・・・ヤッ ヤーッ」

[page87]
"It's nighttime but I saw her like it was high noon."
-> "It's nighttime but I saw her better than daytime."
「夜なのに昼よりよく見えた」

[page168]
"ばっ ばっ You freak of nature!"
-> "You... you... Monster!"
「ばっ ばっ 化物ッ!!」
(Stuttering "You monster!"... Why did they leave it raw?)
(Plus, I think they should always use the same word for 化物[monster] as possible. It has a particular meaning in Hellsing, as a contrast to 人間[human].)

[page180(Character Explanations)]

Alucard
"He was a lot of trouble. Vampire characters have been drawn like this for ages! Like Master Mosquiton or Nightwalkers! Geez! I mean, vampires like him have been alive for how many years? But yes! This happens to be a specialty of mine too!!"
-> "He was a lot of trouble. He overlapped with so many characters at that time! Like Master Mosquiton or Nightwalkers! Geez! Since it was kinda significant year as the anniversary of Dracula's birth! But yes! This happens to be a specialty of mine too!!"
「ヤバかったですよ。もういろいろ時期的にカブってましたよ!マスターモスキートンとかナイトウォーカーとか!もう!そりゃあ吸血鬼ドラキュラ生たん何周年かなワケで!ああハイ!ボクもまァそれのおカブの一ツでしたけど!」
(They have messed up Hirano's words...)

Police girl
"She looks like she is on the verge of death. Yeah. That's about it."
-> "She lacks individuality. Yeah. I know."/"She is fading into the background. Yeah. I hear you."
(I say this is a complete mistranslation.
"影が薄い" literally means "have a weak shadow". But it's not that she is shadowed by death. It means she has a weak personality.)

Another mistranslation.
[page194(CrossFire1)]
"Where're our targets?! Heinkel."
-> "Where's my weapon?! Heinkel."
「エモノはどこだ!!ハインケル」
(There's two homophones for "エモノ(emono)".
得物 - one's favorite weapon
獲物 - target
It makes no sense to adopt the latter when Yumie already see her targets.)

Fortunately or unfortunately, these mistakes/missing contexts don't have crucial affect on the plot -- but means a lot.

You might find it too nit-picky. I know some of mistakes could be understandable as a kind of free translation, but I just presented everything which I think is questionable. And, Sorry if the alternative/literal translations I suggest sound odd. I'm not competent enough to come up with a good wording. I believe that at least you can see what I wanted to point out, though.