Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Welcome Devastator!

Read the FAQ, post often, and you'll have buckets of fun I guess!
Kavaron
imanewbie

Post by Kavaron »

I have a question regarding volumes 1-3

I knew it took place after the eclipse but if someone wants to start reading the Berserk manga isnt volume 3 a HUGE spoiler when Griffith appears?? I enjoyed this series a lot cause I started watching the anime and I didnt know anything about the behelits etc... Spoilers ruin a big part of enjoyment
I cant believe that these volumes were out before the golden age.

I want to give the volumes to a friend to start reading and I think maybe I should give him end of volume 3 first..

Can someone enlighten me?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Just lend him the volumes in order. The transformation from Griffith to Femto is a journey itself. That would be the way the author intended as well.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

While lending him the volumes starting at 3 would help in increasing the shock factor tenfold, I think the author wanted the reader to find out why and how Griffith became what he is. Just the fact that Guts hates this "Griffith guy" sooo much would make it more intriguing for the new reader.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I agree. That's how Miura intended it to be seen, so you should just read them in order.
Muyfa666
imanewbie

Post by Muyfa666 »

I am, obviously, a n00b. I felt the need to air my oppionion somewhere. Yesterday I thought I'd give Berserk a chance and read throw ALOT of volumes of the manga. I absolutely loved it and couldn't force myself to stop reading. Then the eclipse came. I was sick to my stomach when Griffith raped Caska. I read on to the latest released chapter, then I became angry and deleted the whole series and vowed to never look at it again.

Today it get the whole bunch again, and have almost read through it all again. Can't seem to abandon the tragic path of Guts. This is the best thing I've read since Hokuto No Ken. Good stuff. I'm going to watch the anime too now.

Needed to get that out.

Now a question: Is there any chance to get my hand on good scans of volume 1-6 anywhere around here? I have them in very small scans of low quality and would like to read them without straining my eyes.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I see Berserk has you, too.
You'll never be able to quit, not now.

Also, I hear the Dark Horse releases are mad HQ.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Muyfa666
imanewbie

Post by Muyfa666 »

I know this is a n00b question, but is it possible to buy licensed scans? I really don't want to pay for paper that breaks so easy, but I'll happily pay for legal scans if there are any. Anyone have a clue about this?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I don't think they sell legal scans, if you want a copy on the computer, I think you'll have to scan it yourself if you want for preservation purposes. The problem with selling scans viewable on the computer is that it could be distributed widely on the Internet.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Muyfa666
imanewbie

Post by Muyfa666 »

That's really too bad. But I saw something on a page, but that's illegal selling then?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Muyfa666 wrote:That's really too bad. But I saw something on a page, but that's illegal selling then?
Possibly illegal without Dark Horse's permission if they're selling them.

Muyfa666
imanewbie

Post by Muyfa666 »

That sux. Aw well. I guess it's buying vol. 2 & 3 and a scanner for me... ;-)
boag
imanewbie

Post by boag »

Greetings to all, I`m a long time lurker, newbie poster. I would like to thank everyone that has kept the translations going, Berserk hooked me a year and a half ago, I had just finished watching the Anime and was entranced by the story.

After reading the Manga my whole world had changed, before I could often read almost any manga and say "wow this is pretty cool". But now Berserk has spoiled me, for I now measure each work against it.
Kudos to everyone that helps give me my monthly fix.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Since this is a sticky, not much problem in reviving it, is it?

Just watched Evangelion, episode 2. When the Eva goes "berserker" (as stated on the anime), he doesn't have the right eye. Uncanny...

Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i think your post count is low thats why certain options are not opened up to you yet.
get it over 10 or 20 and you can get to delete your posts and start new threads i think.

=)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

It is done.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

Khelegond wrote:Since this is a sticky, not much problem in reviving it, is it?

Just watched Evangelion, episode 2. When the Eva goes "berserker" (as stated on the anime), he doesn't have the right eye. Uncanny...

Hell yeah! I have watched entire evangelion series and liked it much without this occuring to me. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Last edited by 42ndEndOfTheWorld on Thu May 11, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chox
imanewbie

Post by Chox »

I first watched Eva and then Berserk, at first Eva was way better, then I read the commic => Berserk is 100 times better.
Angels that are demons and devils that are gods.. if you try you can link Eva and Berserk.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

if you try, you can link anything with anything...
Chox
imanewbie

Post by Chox »

If it is a manga/anime that has a religious characteristic it is possible.
frosty
imanewbie

Post by frosty »

How many post do I need to have before I can start a topic ?
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

10 or 20 i guess.
frosty
imanewbie

Post by frosty »

You are from Singapore too ?

Post the below in a new topic for me ? Couldn't get the image into the post. Appreciate it.
-----------------------------------
Topic : Artwork Concept origin of Berserker Armour & Other Manga

Ok...noobie here but I've been a Berserker fan for ages. I'm a big manga fan and have quite a fair share of titles that I follow religiously. My interpretation of some stuff in the manga might differ from yours (I read the chinese translated version of the manga). If you are a Berserkaholic, you'll definitely be able to get the drift of what I am trying to say.

The concept of the the Berserker Armour, the artwork of the "devil fox" that seems to reside on the armour came from another great manga title,.Ushio and Tora. The author is Kazuhiro Fujita. His current running title is Le Cirque De Karakuri. Here some a pics from the books.

http://stillstealthy.tripod.com/animemanga/id4.html

See the pic below, that should look familiar.

The "devil fox" is the main villain in the manga and when it possess a character, slanted eyes appearence is a Kazuhiro Fujita invention.

Ushio and Tora is a highly recommended manga. The storyline is by far the richest that I have seen in the past decade. Kazuhiro Fujita masterfully tells a story by unwinding a plot within another plot. It is testing on a reader's patience to be brought to another scene just when a storyline is culminating to it's climax. Be patient and you will be rewarded with a double whammy. His artwork though can be quite messy. For readers that like to give this manga a chance, it's a 33 volume book and you have to go through 12 volumes before the main story actually starts.

OK, back to Berseker. Miura's artwork is by far one of the best I've seen in manga. The details that he puts into his panels is second to none. It tends to get little too dark sometimes but it does brings out the mood of the books. If you like detail artwork, JoJo would be a great manga to read. It started off imitating the Fist of Northstar artwork but matured into his own style that has a very strong european flavour. Personally, the only other artwork that rivals Miura would be the current Superman penciller, Jim Lee. A pity that he doesn't get the inkers that Miura has to do him justice.

The storyline kinda went dead after Griffith turn into a demon. The book kinda lost it's direction and has been clogging away the pages to find it's footing. It seems to have found it's direction again after the introduction of the witches. There seems to be a lot of dark secrets in the past that will eventually unfold with the true identity of the Skull Rider.

Long ass post. I'm a manga nerd.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

yep i am from singapore.
=)
welcome!

tread carefully here. since you read the chinese version off the shelves then there will be differences in the naming conventions.
=P

berserker=berserk
skull rider=skull knight
griffith demon=godhand
etc
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Uh, hi, you're lucky you didn't start a new thread with that idea in mind, because I would have killed you. Welcome anyway. You should thank your lucky stars for the post limit.

If I had to compare the devil fox with anything, I would say the nine tails in Naruto. It doesn't really look like the Berserk Armour in Berserk, unless I have to force a similarity out of my arse.

I've read the comic you mentioned, and I guess I don't enjoy it as much as you do, it was pretty decent. It does remind me of Devilman.

Hm, I can't be sure if Jim Lee could be compared with Miura, since each artist's has their own strengths and merits. I do love his work on Batman, I hardly read anything with Superman in it. They're both brilliant artists.

I didn't think that the storyline went dead after Femto's ascension to the God Hand. While the story arc Golden Age of the Hawks was awesome, I felt that the aftermath made more for Guts' character development and his goal to eliminate all the apostles in his way. Most people consider the introduction of the witches to be a low point in Berserk, as it becomes more Lord of the Rings type, well, I didn't think so anyway.

Berserk right now has a lot of ground to cover right now, I still feel it has barely reached the middle of the series.