Gonzales v. Oregon - Right to Die Upheld

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Gonzales v. Oregon - Right to Die Upheld

Post by Killfile »

The US Supreme Court voted 6-3 to uphold Oregon's Right to Die law - a decision seem by many as a slap in the face of the expansionist power of the Bush administration.

I'm no expert on Constitutional law, so I'll just redirect you to MSNBC's coverage here. Even so, there's something amusing about the GOP - the party of small government, getting slapped around for expanding government authority too broadly.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
vtwahoo
Mastered PM

Post by vtwahoo »

I'm very proud of the Court today. With the death of Rehnquist and the coming resignation of O'Connor I don't expect this to be a common sentimate. I will rejoice in it while I can.

This is part of an ongoing attempt by the Court to definfe life...when does it begin (abortion) and when does it end (right to die). I tend to think that such questions are best left to theologists and philosophers but ther eare legal issues at stake and I admire the leadership the Court chose to display.

I also love this case becuase it goes back to my favorite level of hypocricy in the Republican party (and there are so many to choose from). This is the party of small government, free choice, personal responsibility, and family values. So let me ask the following questions:

Why would small government so goddamned concerned about my sex life (who I have sex with, what positions I have sex in, etc)?

Why can't I practice free choice and have an abortion?

Why can't I take personal responsibilty, within the confines of my abilties, for how and when I choose to die?

What set of family values doesn't include: dignity, love, compassion, privacy, and closure in the face of grief?

People in persistent vegitative states have the right to die with dignity and the people who love them have the right to grieve and then get on with their lives. Mr. President, Mr. Senator, Mr. Representative...get the hell out of my bedroom and, when necessary, my hospital room.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

vtwahoo wrote:Mr. President, Mr. Senator, Mr. Representative...get the hell out of my bedroom and, when necessary, my hospital room.
amen... and stop pressuring clear channel and other radio networks into playing crap and keeping them from playing good music too!
Bow to Golbez
vtwahoo
Mastered PM

Re: Gonzales v. Oregon - Right to Die Upheld

Post by vtwahoo »

Killfile wrote:I'm no expert on Constitutional law, .
Wait...epiphany! -=I=- am an expert in Constitutional law.

Crap. That means that I have to go and read the Court's decision and provide an at least marginally intelligent analysis.

Damn my degrees.

Okay...so far:

The Court ruled that The Controlled Substances Act does not allow the Attorney General to prohibit doctors from prescribing regulated drugs for use in physician-assisted suicide under state law permitting the procedure.

Furthermore "The CSA and this Court’s case law amply support the conclusion that Congress regulates medical practice insofar as it bars doctors from using their prescription-writing powers as a means to engage in illicit drug dealing and trafficking as conventionally understood.
Beyond this, the Act manifests no intent to regulate the practice of medicine generally."

I'm slugging my way through the decision. More coming...