Favorite Berserk Quotes

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

Chibi I believe means "kid" or "child". And a chibi form would be one that looks like a child or has childish attributes.

Puck isn't funny unless he's in Chibi, because he doesn't have the same expressive quality for humor. There wasn't anything specifically funny about him in the beginning. He was more like a character to present the story and dialog, because Gatz I'm sure didn't have anything to say. So it makes the story kind of boring if he just walks around and kills people. Think of Blame! without Cibo.

Early Puck was more of an inquiry into Gatz's character than comic relief. He did a couple of humorous things, and they got funnier as he was able to look more ridiculous doing them. I sort of ignore his character now, he's kind of cliche now. Like omg Ishidoro I'm your master, you're my student, you disappoint me, blah blah. Miura makes it easier too now that his dialog is so tiny in size. With the presence of the other cast now he's not really that essential anymore, because Gatz isn't a lone traveler anymore.
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

puck was supposed to serve as a character to keep guts from becoming too inhuman, right? now that he was "comrads" puck has little use. i never liked puck a lot. i dont mind him so much now, but the little flying animal sidekick is just too cliche for miura. hes so much better than that. but hey, im sure he has some kind of plan to make puck useful again.

anyway, im glad the chibi thing was cleared up. its a well known term in american anime fandom. either u like it or hate it, chibi is a common reference.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

You're probably the first two I hear complaining about Puck.

He's simply the so called 'comic-relief' of a hard story - at least, the most important one.

And I think he's the funniest sidekick I ever read anywhere. I can't help but laugh loud sometimes :)
Silent Wayfarer
imanewbie

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

There's a quote I'm trying to think of, but the exact wording escapes me and I really don't want to spend the time leafing through all of Berserk to find it (ZOMG enzyme database searches!). It's somewhere along the lines of "Never look back."

It's definitely not the one Guts says after defeating Griffith, but I don't know who said it. It could have been Guts, or Griffith, but like I said, I forgot the exact words.

I will award ONE (1) free Internet to anyone who can help me.

Thanks!
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

im not really against puck, but hes getting less and less useful. i dont really mind puck all that much.

Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

since there's another elf in the group they turned into the most annoying thing in Berserk ever

I predict that once they get to Elfhelm it will be so ghey that Guts will immediately turn back
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I like Puck.

However, chibi would be better translated as "small", I believe. Puck doesn't become chibi, he becomes SD (Super Deformed). This is often called chibi by Americans though, which is a misnomer, if I'm not mistaken.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

well.. yeah, i actually.. ill agree with that. but as less of a japanese term and more of a "fangirl japanese" term, what i said i think still stands. sadly...
( as a more americanized japanese term, chibi can mean what i said maybe, but more literally, chibi is "small" i'd say. (i hope this all didnt confuse anyone)

Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

nah

to sum it up, chibi is a way of making a character also look ridiculous when he acts ridiculous :P
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, it depends. That's really SD, but if you want to call it Chibi, I believe that's accepted in America for some reason. The only time I've heard it used commonly, and correctly in America, is in reference to Chibi Trunks. You know, he's little, but not SD.

It's kind of like how people pronounce manga incorrectly. I hear it all the time at book stores, but they're saying it wrong see. However, it's kind of become accepted here, to say it that way, which bothers me really. Some people will say (May-nga), when it's actually (Mah-nga). So, that's how chibi is. You can call SD chibi if you want, but that's not actually what it's called, in Nippon anyway. Much how, in America, we say, Otaku, which is usually taken as an insult in Nippon. It's sad how things get corrupted like that. What bothers me is how most people basically disregard the culture of other countries. Most people, once they're told the truth, still prefer to do things like that their own incorrect way. I mean, the name of the country isn't even Japan, that's just another negligent corruption. I find all of it odd is all. Heheh, I'm just rambling really, so don't mind me.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

at least this thread keeps on going, even if it's "all chibi" nowadays
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

Starnum wrote:

It's kind of like how people pronounce manga incorrectly. I hear it all the time at book stores, but they're saying it wrong see. However, it's kind of become accepted here, to say it that way, which bothers me really. Some people will say (May-nga), when it's actually (Mah-nga).

I pronounce it incorrectly, and I know it kills some people but my reasoning is I'm not Japanese. I don't speak with a Japanese accent so I say it the way I feel most comfortable.
:wink:
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

I feel good now, becouse I pronounce it correctly. Although I never really use the word in conversation...damn
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

evilester_me wrote:
Starnum wrote:

It's kind of like how people pronounce manga incorrectly. I hear it all the time at book stores, but they're saying it wrong see. However, it's kind of become accepted here, to say it that way, which bothers me really. Some people will say (May-nga), when it's actually (Mah-nga).

I pronounce it incorrectly, and I know it kills some people but my reasoning is I'm not Japanese. I don't speak with a Japanese accent so I say it the way I feel most comfortable.
No offense, but that reasoning makes no sense to me. It's not a matter of accent, that's just how it's pronounced. It would be like calling a comic, a (CO-mike) or something. Are you sure you just don't want to say it correctly, because you're used to saying it incorrectly? If so, as I've said, it's just simple disregard caused by laziness and a lack of respect. I mean, I don't care how you say it, these are just my views and thoughts. For example, as Americans, we know the metric system is more accurate, but we're to lazy and stubborn to convert. Also, the world has got to officially know that Japan is actually called Nippon, by its inhabitants. However, the majority of people just don't care. We're all just too lazy and disrespectful to correct it. It's easy just to be stubborn and do it our own way. I find it all sad, that's all *shrugs*.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Heh, I just think "mah-nga" sounds really gay..

P.S : I never new about that Nippon thing. But thats just the same with alot of countries. Especially in the mid east. Practically everything from there including how to say the countries names are mispronounced by us americans.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
akari
Found the Edit button

Post by akari »

Starnum wrote:Also, the world has got to officially know that Japan is actually called Nippon, by its inhabitants. However, the majority of people just don't care. We're all just too lazy and disrespectful to correct it. It's easy just to be stubborn and do it our own way. I find it all sad, that's all *shrugs*.
Wait a moment. It's not disrespect to call Japan ... Japan. :sweat: It's normal.
Would you like to call German - Deutschland, just because germans use that word to call their country?

..........!!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

akari wrote:Would you like to call German - Deutschland, just because germans use that word to call their country?

Yes, and all the other countries too.
akari
Found the Edit button

Post by akari »

Starnum wrote:
akari wrote:Would you like to call German - Deutschland, just because germans use that word to call their country?
Yes, and all the other countries too.
You couldn't possibly be able to pronounce all of them well. So it's good to have your own words for them in your mother language. (It's better than wrong pronunciation of original words IMO).
... but perhaps you could (?) - that just means you're special.
I bet 80% of other people couldn't, so it's better this way.

..........!!
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

After the capture of Dolrey castle and Griffith's popularity, Lord Owen comments on the increasing amount of enemies Griffith may have:

"The stronger the light, the thicker the shadows will fall"
PosseINeedYou
imanewbie

Post by PosseINeedYou »

Volume 10 when Gutts pushes the jailer into the abyss after cutting his tongue out and says "I can't hear you. Speak clearly."

Also "A forest of ghosts... When he first stepped out, lit by a flash of lightning, those words sprang into my mind. He is... in front of me now, this man... no longer looks kinds!"
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

"Damn straight!! It's puck!!" - puck

Best quote ever.

Another good quote
"She'll(Caska) bite it right off" - Guts
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i dont have any particular favourite quote. the only one i can even remember is: "when you meet God, tell him to leave me alone."

literally,
chibi=short or shorty.
ryusenka wrote:"Damn straight!! It's puck!!" - puck
shouldnt you change your sig then?
=)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Change your avatar to 180 px height, ryusenka. Read the rules regarding it.

edit: change your signature too please. read the rules regarding it -- psi29a

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

"Everyones safe.... a few shapeds darker brown, but hey good job." Guts
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Hate is a place where a man, who can't stand sadness, goes. Revenge is darker than a bloodstain. Sadness is a dagger sharpened to strike at your heart. As days pass by, it only gets sharper and sharper. The only thing that's left is the sharp power of it.
-Godo
Trust me, I'm a doctor!