Has Bush finally lost it?

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Has Bush finally lost it?

Post by Shaka Zulu »

EXCLUSIVE: BUSH PLOT TO BOMB HIS ARAB ALLY
Madness of war memo
By Kevin Maguire And Andy Lines

Picture of George Bush laughing

PRESIDENT Bush planned to bomb Arab TV station al-Jazeera in friendly Qatar, a "Top Secret" No 10 memo reveals.

But he was talked out of it at a White House summit by Tony Blair, who said it would provoke a worldwide backlash.

A source said: "There's no doubt what Bush wanted, and no doubt Blair didn't want him to do it." Al-Jazeera is accused by the US of fuelling the Iraqi insurgency.

The attack would have led to a massacre of innocents on the territory of a key ally, enraged the Middle East and almost certainly have sparked bloody retaliation.

A source said last night: "The memo is explosive and hugely damaging to Bush.

Advertisement
Falk AdSolution

"He made clear he wanted to bomb al-Jazeera in Qatar and elsewhere. Blair replied that would cause a big problem.

"There's no doubt what Bush wanted to do - and no doubt Blair didn't want him to do it."

A Government official suggested that the Bush threat had been "humorous, not serious".

But another source declared: "Bush was deadly serious, as was Blair. That much is absolutely clear from the language used by both men."

Yesterday former Labour Defence Minister Peter Kilfoyle challenged Downing Street to publish the five-page transcript of the two leaders' conversation. He said: "It's frightening to think that such a powerful man as Bush can propose such cavalier actions.

"I hope the Prime Minister insists this memo be published. It gives an insight into the mindset of those who were the architects of war."

Bush disclosed his plan to target al-Jazeera, a civilian station with a huge Mid-East following, at a White House face-to-face with Mr Blair on April 16 last year.

At the time, the US was launching an all-out assault on insurgents in the Iraqi town of Fallujah.

Al-Jazeera infuriated Washington and London by reporting from behind rebel lines and broadcasting pictures of dead soldiers, private contractors and Iraqi victims.

The station, watched by millions, has also been used by bin Laden and al-Qaeda to broadcast atrocities and to threaten the West.

Al-Jazeera's HQ is in the business district of Qatar's capital, Doha.

Its single-storey buildings would have made an easy target for bombers. As it is sited away from residential areas, and more than 10 miles from the US's desert base in Qatar, there would have been no danger of "collateral damage".

Dozens of al-Jazeera staff at the HQ are not, as many believe, Islamic fanatics. Instead, most are respected and highly trained technicians and journalists.

To have wiped them out would have been equivalent to bombing the BBC in London and the most spectacular foreign policy disaster since the Iraq War itself.

The No 10 memo now raises fresh doubts over US claims that previous attacks against al-Jazeera staff were military errors.

In 2001 the station's Kabul office was knocked out by two "smart" bombs. In 2003, al-Jazeera reporter Tareq Ayyoub was killed in a US missile strike on the station's Baghdad centre.

The memo, which also included details of troop deployments, turned up in May last year at the Northampton constituency office of then Labour MP Tony Clarke.

Cabinet Office civil servant David Keogh, 49, is accused under the Official Secrets Act of passing it to Leo O'Connor, 42, who used to work for Mr Clarke. Both are bailed to appear at Bow Street court next week.

Mr Clarke, who lost at the election, returned the memo to No 10.

He said Mr O'Connor had behaved "perfectly correctly".

Neither Mr O'Connor or Mr Keogh were available. No 10 did not comment.

AL-JAZEERA'S INSIDE STORY
Bullshitologists wanna rate this?

My first random thought.....I dont buy this. Bullshit(and the fact that The Sun who has mastered the art of bullshit, has published this). It has to be bullshit. It cant be anything else(Though not suprising if it was true). But if its true, then I dont know what to say. The fact that he would consider this.

No matter how much I like to speculate. We have to wait for the document to be released, and then one has to make up ones mind and consider if it might be Bush's way of joking as it has been suggested by one civil servant.

But as for the proposition, outlandish as it seems to bomb a building in an allied country....I'll tell ya a thing or two that will make it more plausible(even if the notion is inherently insane) in this particular case.

Al-Jazeera.As you probably all know(quite public in the media then) their office was hit by smart bombs in Kabul in 2001 and a missile attack killed one of their journalists in Baghdad.

In both events, they had phoned in and mailed their exact coordinates and postion to the Pentagon even before the attacks started to try and insure that there would be no mistakes. Al-Jazeera do not consider these attacks to be accidebtal in the least, and there are detailed info of several other situations where they had faced direct pressure.

The Americans were alledgedly very much incensed when al-Jazeera reported live from the Fallujah air-bombings on the same day as the US army had agreed to a seize fire. Many such examples to go with their showing the beheadings tape and terrible civilian casualties in many spots.

I know it's The Mirror, I know the White House has rubbished the comment, but they did the same with previous leaked documents.

But still, this doesnt mean this is true. And this must be quite exaggerated.
that they would specifically target a TV station in another country? I could accept(sic) that they "accidentally" "misread" some coordinates but to go out of their way in order to do a hit... How would they cover that up? Even brown-nosed Western journalists would get fired up by such a hit, as journalists tend to be rather sympathetic to other journalists on these matters...

One thing that is easy for me to believe though is Isee why one side would want to eliminate media that reports the other sides view of the war. I do not have any problems believing that Bush could have uttered this as an intention. I don't have any problems believing that a military agency would draft a 'scenario' for hitting al-Jazeera even if it's in Dubai. After all - there's been lots of examples of less imaginable actions being 'considered' at scenario level. Its' funny that people actually try to put some sort of sense of ethics in war. This would make sense in the context of war(as in art of war.And steps that would be plausible in waging war), and that is why I would have an easy time believing this if it was true.

But....What I do have major problems believing is that the diplomats and bureaucrats in Washington/Pentagon would not shoot such an idea down before it could ever be carried out(and which is why such a thing as this could only be 'scenario's in some drawingboard).

Another reason(and the main reason) I dont this is true is because, how could they cover this up? The previous "accidental" bombings of Al-Jazeera offices in other countries could be a disguised as mistake because its in the middle of war(even though the civil buildings they are bombing are no were near any hostiles). Its just like Clever Generals of ancient times, killing a rival in your side in the midst of the battle,no one would suspect you.

But in this case? No. Heck no. The difference is that there'd be no way of calling this a mistake if they did a hit on al-Jazeera in Dubai.

"Ups - one of our plains dropped a bomb while flying over friendly territory, and it just happened to hit al-Jazeera, who we've already bombed twice in other countries. Third mistake, sorry. Our bad".
Doesn't work. It would be seriously damaging in the region and I promise you that journalists from even normally friendly sources would be straining against their leashes. And it wouldn't be in any books about the Art of war, but rather, in the bloopers section of military books (Which mostly consists of the military failures of Austria and France :D ).

And oh, not to mention that this is 'just' very very very bad publicity for Bush, who could be stood up as raging moron (again :)) if the memo get's published in full.

And also...What is indicative of the memo's veracity is the almost unprecedented action on behalf of Downing Street (at least in recent history) to issue a threat to prosecute the printing of the memo itself, as it would constitute a breach of the laws on publishing classified documents. This is novel, considering that even very damaging/delicate papers have previously been allowed to go into print.

Futhermore it substantiates that you can find wordings like The Mirrors article printed yesterday in the actual memo, because nr. 10 issuing such a threat to editors is VERY bad press to begin with because of the freedom to speculate it offers/the thought it provokes that 'they have something to hide', and there'd be no reason to break with tradition if the alternative of the memo getting public wasn't considered worse.

Lastly,I must say that I hope it turns out to be one big farce, like the 2000 election ;)

P.S. Weeee! My first thread(Not that anyone has read this far ).Which I bothered to post(instead of just read it,and discuss it on another site) just because Femto said everyone should post more threads :)

P.S II Add a poll for the question please ;) :D (Which can be a very general one if needed to be;))

edit: use the quote function, it does a better job than bolding. also, it is always appropriate to cite the source with a URL if possible. thanks -- psi29a
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Your poll is missing.

Bush might have been joking, though I think it's more than a little bit troublesome that there's even debate that he might have said this and meant it. What kind of a crisis of faith does this indicate, that we're seriously looking over this document and wondering if Bush really would bomb a TV station in an allied country.

The fact that it's gotten to the point where we wouldn't just dismiss this out of hand is very very worrisome.

That said, there's a history of people in the White House making inappropriate jokes. It's easy to forget the cameras are always there. Reagan once famously quipped that we were going to start bombing the Soviets in 5 minutes live on national television (the cameras were rolling and, for some reason, he didn't know it).
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Meh, once his 'allies' has outlived their usefulness, they're dispensible.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

I agee Killfire. It could just as easily be fake but it's the fact that we even have to think about if it is real or not is the sad thing about it. I honestly can't dismiss it because I kind of think he would do it.
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Laik wrote:I agee Killfire. It could just as easily be fake but it's the fact that we even have to think about if it is real or not is the sad thing about it. I honestly can't dismiss it because I kind of think he would do it.
Double agreed :) (or are you talking but a drunkard of a scott named Agee?;) ) This is exactly what I tried to say in a frigging essay,and accomplished the same with two lines :D

P.S the poll would be good to have, por favore.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
ucrzymofo87
This is my new home

Post by ucrzymofo87 »

Killfile wrote: Reagan once famously quipped that we were going to start bombing the Soviets in 5 minutes live on national television (the cameras were rolling and, for some reason, he didn't know it).
:lol: I think it was a sound test or something. Man, pretty embarrassing.
"Living for the future is more important than trying to avenge the past...i guess." -Puck
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Embarasing at the time, but really the moment that most Americans will remember Reagan for.

I disagreed with the man politically, but he had a levity about him that isn't too common in presidents (Kennedy, Clinton, and Teddy Roosevelt being the only other ones).

Reagan's joke really represents the mindset of America in the 1980s. The tension of the 1960s was over - and while there were some close calls, the Cold War had become just another aspect of American popular culture.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
sima
imanewbie

Post by sima »

he would have done it for sure, just like clinton bombed
national television building in belgrade 1999 - 6 journalists died
and there's still time for it..
\"THINK FOR YOURSELF, QUESTION AUTHORITY\"
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

sima wrote:he would have done it for sure, just like clinton bombed
national television building in belgrade 1999 - 6 journalists died
and there's still time for it..
Well yeah he would have defenitely done it in that regard,sense its a war zone and sadly enough they deliberately hit alot of civilian buildings(even if they dont admit it).What am I talking about? Bush has already done this in Kabul,bombing the shit out of an Al-Jazeera office on purpose(they had the cordinates for their location,no mistake whatsoever) and have bombed their journalists in Iraq.

But this is different in that one cannot bomb an allied country,ispecially sense there isnt a war or conflict there.there is no frigging way they could get away with it(How the fuck they got away with bombing the shit out of them before is sad).
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

damn another 3 years to elections...
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

I wouldnt be one bit surprised if Bush went and bombed it.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

Q: Has bush lost it?
AitFoaQ: When has he ever had it?
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

yeah i was about to say
Ruuppa
Mastered PM

Post by Ruuppa »

Ooooh! Maybe it's another "Bushism"! They should put that article in the book about Bushisms. Bush has said dumb crap all the time as a president, why would he change his image even when his ratings are down?

EDIT: Sorry, meant that he's done dumb crap.
Everything that is right is wrong, and everything that is wrong is right.
And I am always right.