EG Staff Applications: Translators and Editors

Evil-Genius' latest information on its current projects: Angel Heart, Biomega, Watanabe, and Zetman.

Moderator: EG Members

Eldo
Of The Abyss

EG Staff Applications: Translators and Editors

Post by Eldo »

Evil Genius is looking for translators (Chinese/Japanese to English) and editors. If you think you can help with either, send a PM to Nazgul, Laik (for editors) or myself (in which I'll probably refer you to Nazgul or I may take the application), send a PM in either our IRC channel at #[Evil_Genius] @ irc.irchighway.net or in the forums.

For translators, just anyone who could translate from Chinese/Japanese to English.

For editors, experienced or at least knowledgable at various applications like Photoshop. Send a sample of your work and a raw to compare. Must be able to edit stroked text as well (the type of text that covers the background in which you have to redraw and replace the Japanese with English).

Hopefully our reply will be swift, you may try to send a PM to another member if you don't get a response soon. If IRC doesn't get you an instant response (away from keyboard), try to leave a PM in the forums so we could get back to you as soon as we'll online.

When in doubt, leave a post below and we will be in contact.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

<Cleaned up the thread>

Now accepting applications. :D
Takasan
imanewbie

Post by Takasan »

I myself have just got Photoshop so I'm not very god at it yet. Still can't figure out the more advanced techniques and what not. I'd like to give this a try once I get better at photoshop. I'll try editing one page of a manga and send it in...but of course I won't understand what they are saying so I'll just use random words :?
SP
imanewbie

Test

Post by SP »

Do the staff have a test i could take? like maybe 3 pages to edit and send back for grading.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

PM me right now and I'll get you something to edit. Be warned, they are pretty hard to handle.

Where are the translators?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

You can make the test a bit easier if you want. I'll teach people how to edit if they're having some trouble with the basics and need more assistance.

Also, I wouldn't even expect a translator for real.
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I can translate engrish to enlish... If that helps.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Silent Wayfarer
imanewbie

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

I'm Chinese and I've been speaking English and Chinese for 17 years now. I learned primarily from the complicated form of Chinese characters, so I can understand the volumes coming out of Taiwan or Hong Kong, more or less. I've been topping my level for English on a fairly regular basis ever since I started secondary school, so that should account for English. To a lesser extent I understand Japanese and German, but I'm best at Chinese to English translations. You cannot go wrong by choosing me for the job.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I've sent Eldo a PM. I'd like to have a crack at those raws for the editting :).

After about 4:00PM EST today I won't be on until around 2-3:00AM EST, so if you send them at 4:01 and wonder why it's taking me so long to edit them, that's why ;).
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:I'm Chinese and I've been speaking English and Chinese for 17 years now. I learned primarily from the complicated form of Chinese characters, so I can understand the volumes coming out of Taiwan or Hong Kong, more or less. I've been topping my level for English on a fairly regular basis ever since I started secondary school, so that should account for English. To a lesser extent I understand Japanese and German, but I'm best at Chinese to English translations. You cannot go wrong by choosing me for the job.
Wow, that's cool, man. Send me a PM and I'll give you something to work on.

Newbified, I have just sent you a PM.

We have so many editor applications and so little translators. You have no idea how much that post has made me happy. Although editors are a bit full at the moment, I'll see what I can give people to do.

Takasan
imanewbie

Post by Takasan »

Yea I would like to give this a try now. But unfortunately my source of internet shall be cut off soon but oh well there are other ways to do things. Hope to be able to work with you guys.
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

mindwerks.net said that u guys r looking for french to english translators so mebbe i can help out. ive been in french immersion for about 13 yrs so i can probably handle most translations except for french expressions in france that we dont use where im at
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
daylife
imanewbie

Post by daylife »

hey... applying for editor... just sent some samples to psi29a.. :)
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

daylife wrote:hey... applying for editor... just sent some samples to psi29a.. :)
Yup yup, I like 'em.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Woah I can do French to English anytime for EG, I have been in Animescans for a while now. Just no shojo or yaoi plz.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh yeah, I was wanting to widen my field into editing too. Still looking for inspiration though. Hey, Eldo, can you post the link for that tutorial that you tried to show me that one time. The one that helps explain levels and stuff, thanks.
N3oShweaty
This is my new home

Post by N3oShweaty »

this one is pretty good: http://kalendel.cjb.net/
mangafre@ks
imanewbie

Post by mangafre@ks »

even though you didn't ask for a Greek translator, we(yes we are many) are volenteering to translate berserk english to greek, no problem with gimp and photoshop
mangafre@ks
imanewbie

...LoveManga...

Post by mangafre@ks »

Ok!is anybody there?
I have posted a letter back there but it seems
that nobody is looking those posts anymore .I am thinking
of putting my tranlated Berserk volumes on the net by my own
free of course!!I want the Greek puplic recognize how great
Manga's are...so please someone give me an answer!
Tell me that this is ok from you!!Please I need that answer..
Thanks.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Re: ...LoveManga...

Post by Eldo »

mangafre@ks wrote:Ok!is anybody there?
I have posted a letter back there but it seems
that nobody is looking those posts anymore .I am thinking
of putting my tranlated Berserk volumes on the net by my own
free of course!!I want the Greek puplic recognize how great
Manga's are...so please someone give me an answer!
Tell me that this is ok from you!!Please I need that answer..
Thanks.
Thank you for applying and I'm sorry for the late reply. I didn't notice your post before.

Regretfully, there are no mangas we are doing that's in Greek for translating. If you want to post your own translated Berserk volumes, that'll be very cool of you, the hawks already releases the volumes from 1 to current, so you could translate from them or from the official DH releases. Again, thank you for applying. If you wish to translate from our releases, you should contact Mystic for permission to use his translations.
Finito wrote:....*fart*....
Is there something fucking wrong with you? Fart and spam somewhere else, or make it silent. I'm sure nobody gives two shits about your fart. I deleted your post, since it was a waste of space.

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I have no problems with you translating Berserk from english to greek, if that is your intention. We of course do not know greek, so we can't quality check it , so you are on your own. If you can, provide credit from where you got the english translation, but be sure to put your own credit in there for the greek translation.

We wish you luck and keep in contact with us on your progress.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

technically speaking greek is my first language :twisted:
Bow to Golbez
Kavaron
imanewbie

Post by Kavaron »

mangafre@ks wrote:even though you didn't ask for a Greek translator, we(yes we are many) are volenteering to translate berserk english to greek, no problem with gimp and photoshop
I think it is a bit of a waste to translate Berserk to greek language since 80% of Greeks know how to read in english. I also live in Greece and gave the manga to many friends who enjoyed it almost as much as I did.
mangafre@ks
imanewbie

'HELLO EVIL ONES'

Post by mangafre@ks »

Hi everyone.I can say that this was the answer I wanted to hear!!
I already know that the most of the Greek puplic knows english
but think of it...Berserk in Greek!I have a lot of time to translate
that amazing comic and of course I am gona do that cause I
like it.I can translate 1 volume each week(because of my job).
I will send you as soon as posible the first volume.
I think the translation has been made from thehawks and then
it changed in evilgenius.How can I contact with this Mistic guy?
(Sorry about my behavior in the second post reply!)

And one last question..does anybody knows if there will be
more Berserk animes?Why it stopped there?I could not believe
it!
Sortep
n00b eater

Re: 'HELLO EVIL ONES'

Post by Sortep »

mangafre@ks wrote:Hi everyone.I can say that this was the answer I wanted to hear!!
I already know that the most of the Greek puplic knows english
but think of it...Berserk in Greek!I have a lot of time to translate
that amazing comic and of course I am gona do that cause I
like it.I can translate 1 volume each week(because of my job).
I will send you as soon as posible the first volume.
I think the translation has been made from thehawks and then
it changed in evilgenius.How can I contact with this Mistic guy?
(Sorry about my behavior in the second post reply!)

And one last question..does anybody knows if there will be
more Berserk animes?Why it stopped there?I could not believe
it!
The anime ending where it did etc is answered by the faq. The Hawks and Evil Genius are two seperate groups. The Hawks (I believe) are the oldest Berserk Scanslation group and scanslate volume by volume. EG are from here at mindwerks and participate in the forums here. Evil Genius scanslate chapter by chapter.

As far as Berserk in Greek, the dialouge would become very choppy in Greek in a few instances. Also as said above, there isn't anyone I know in Greece under the age of 30 who doesn't know English, unless they're not Greek and came from another country to live there.

I'm sure your question will be addressed by someone in charge, sometimes it just takes a little bit due to the load of responsibilities involved with their work in keeping Mindwerks and Evil_Genius going for all of us. Hopefully there is at least a little clarification until you can get your question answered directly.
Bow to Golbez