This is the 'Why DBZ sucked' thread

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

This is the 'Why DBZ sucked' thread

Post by BasouKazuma »

Hello loyal fans and first time watchers.

Today we are gonna discuss why Dragonball Z .... SUCKED!

First off, the story was pretty straight forward. New bad guy arrives, Goku and crew must become stronger and beat it. Every story arc was pretty much the same thing.

Now, on to the fight scenes. Good action scenes are supposed to be relatively quick, well thought out and spend more time on the fighting than talking (This is especially true when what the people are saying, isn't that interesting). People don't want fights to just keep on goin and going for no reason because of endless/pointless talking. During every fight, you have to hear what every single group of people thinks about what's going on. As if anyone cares. "Oh noes! He's about to do unleash his spirit bomb!". *2 episodes later* "OMG, the spirt bomb just hit Freeza! YAY".

So basically, it had too many episodes. If it were condensed, people wouldn't have had a big of a problem with it. When a final battle takes like 6 or more episodes to finally have a victor .... you know the show could've afforded to have some stuff cut out of the episodes. The creators were just milking the series for money. They probably had brainstorming sessions, thinking about how they could put more filler scenes into the episodes.

My final thought of the day:
Most people like DBZ when they grow up as kids and early teens, but after that you just can't ignore all of the flaws in it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I read the first 5,6 vols of manga and thought how in the world this crap could be famous.

They must have had low on good mangas in those days.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, I have a friend who started watching DBZ when he was like 29, and actually liked it. And this is a guy who is just getting his doctor degree in PHYSICS!

Well, he likes all kind of shit. So....
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Being smart has nothing to do with. Has he watched many anime b4 DBZ?

I was mainly talking about the growth of an otaku for birth to now. There's a difference. If your 29 yr old friend has just started watching anime, then his opinion is almost on par with that of a 14 year old's who has just started watching anime themself. It's about your exposure to foreign things. DBZ was cool, cuz i hadnt seen/(been exposed to) much anime at the time.

There are different kinds of smarts. One could be smart with films, but be a complete dumbass when it comes to music. So, you're friend knows his Physics inside-out but may have some questionable tastes in film, which you kinda eluded to in your post.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I wasnt new to manga or anime when i read DB so it was worse than i expected. Maybe i would have liked it if it was my first manga or anime,or maybe i wouldnt be in here today and would never get in to manga and anime.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

DBZ is my first and will always be my favorite anime. The Japanese cuts mind you, the U.S funimations suck balls. In fact, their studio isn't too far away from me, I should bomb it. But anyway, the Japanese cuts offer so much more behind each character and is just a lot better IMO. But pair it with DB and GT then they get even better because you stick with the characters from birth to death which makes it more of a compelling story. Especially when the characters ares truggling and/or dying. But then again there are other animes (Amon) where the main characters just get fucked the whole way through....ya're ya're...
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

BasouKazuma wrote:I was mainly talking about the growth of an otaku for birth to now.
AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

hahahahahahahaha

hahaha...

Oh yeah, DBZ > j00
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Of course DBZ has flaws, but it also has lots of merits as well. I'm not saying it was the best anime ever or anything, but it didn't suck either. Besides, that's your opinion, which isn't something that can be proven, like a fact. So, you're wasting your time. Most of us are aware of it's flaws. You either like it or you don't. No one's forcing you to like it, so stop shoving your critical opinions down our throats. If anything sucks, it's this thread. It's a waste of the small amount of bandwidth it takes, and it's just more troller crap. If you don't like DBZ, that's fine, go complain about it in that trash of a thread, "Overrated Anime", or whatever it's called. For now, I'm going to have to call in one of my few, and rarely abused special favor cards, and lock this thing down, just because I don't like it. If you want to start a thread, find better material. You're a fairly intelligent guy, you can manage. ;)
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

Thanks to Dbz i got into anime and found Berserk.