Gay Marriage? Governor Schwarzenegger says no

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Legalized Gay Marriage?

Good Idea
42%
Bad Idea
23%
Stupid Americans
35%

Total votes: 26

Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Ok, English is pretty clearly not your first language and that's ok -- but if I misunderstand something you wrote please correct me.

First, Gay marriage does not equate to a decrease in the birth rate.... unless you think that unmarried gay people are pumping out children. I'll pause to let the fallacy of that assumption sink in.

Second, a decrease in the birth rate does not translate into a decrease in the number of citizens. All post industrial societies undergo a dramatic decrease in birth rates, which are offset by people flocking to these countries to take advantage of newfound wealth. A decrease in the birth rate increases diversity and adds to the intellectual and cultural strength of a nation.

Third, fewer citizens does not lead to fewer consumers. There's a magical thing called exports.

Fourth, fewer consumers has nothing whatsoever to do with the size of the army. The US army is volunteer only at this point. Maybe a smaller population has a serious impact on our ability to draft, but our military isn't designed to deal with conscripts.

Fifth, a smaller army doesn't mean a weaker United States. For 150 years the United States has substituted technology for personnel in wars and has met with great success in doing so. We fielded a smaller army against the Soviets, against the North Koreans, against the Iraqis (the first time)... the list goes on and on.

Sixth, the US will loose superpower status when someone else takes it. Nuclear weapons, not the size of any given branch of the military determine who gets to be a superpower. The world changed in 1945.

In summary, everything you wrote is founded on a series of assumptions that are completely wrong.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well said Kilfile. As for my own beliefs, well, I don't agree with homosexuality. However, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't think my own personal opinions should have any baring on the lives of others. So, I guess what I'm saying is, I don't care if it's legalized or not. *Shrugs* To each their own. I really think our government has more to worry about then gay marriage.