Suikoden, the games, its future, and all that jazz

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Suikoden, the games, its future, and all that jazz

Post by Rosiel »

I started this thread to see how many of you have played Konami's rpg series. Suikoden 5 is on the works and it looks awesome. The 108 stars of destiny are back! There is no way Konami is gonna bring the Suikogaidens over, but i can still dream. :)
Under Construction!
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Don't forget about Suikoden Tactics brother. I know you are all about that game.
Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Rosiel »

Ayanami wrote:Don't forget about Suikoden Tactics brother. I know you are all about that game.
It looks real good bro, it set two years before suikoden 4. The battle system will be crazy with runes thrown in there. But i will be really curious about is if they intend to do the 108 stars of destiny. I think their gonna do it, but i could be wrong. Ill cross my fingers that suikoden tactics will live up to the hype. Who knows, it may be better than FFT. (jk) :twisted:
Under Construction!
The Fallen
notanewb

Post by The Fallen »

overall, suikoden is suikolame. 2 was aight, 4 was aight, 5 looks pretty good. I say if you feel neglected of RPGs lately then go for it, if not dont waste your time, it will be nothing too great im sure. I guess my only real beef with suikoden is that you can go through all the trouble of collecting 108 characters, but none of them are very cool IMO, and even if there were a bunch you did like how do you choose a party of 4 or 5 out of 108?
Greed, Gluttony, Sloth, Envy, Pride, Lust, and Wrath :To you they are the 7 deadly sins, to me they are the very reason of my existence...
ShinjiG
imanewbie

Post by ShinjiG »

Most suikodens had a party of 6. Which is more than most RPGs.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I don't have a PS2 :(

I loved 1 and 2 for the PS though, it was awesome. Wish there was a PC version or something.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Rosiel »

Eldo wrote:I don't have a PS2 :(

I loved 1 and 2 for the PS though, it was awesome. Wish there was a PC version or something.
Eldo you gotta try 3 and 4 if you liked 1 and 2 man.
Under Construction!
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Rosiel wrote:

actually i would say don't try 3 and 4. Those are what made me not care for the series anymore. 1 and 2 were so good but then 3 had to come and F up.
Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Rosiel »

Malvado wrote:
Rosiel wrote:

actually i would say don't try 3 and 4. Those are what made me not care for the series anymore. 1 and 2 were so good but then 3 had to come and F up.
Honestly thats what alot of people think, but still the most popular one is three. I cant understand what people would love about it. Two is teh best and it will always will be.
Under Construction!
Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

suikoden 3 blows ass, but 2 was good.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Kêthêrîc wrote:suikoden 3 blows ass, but 2 was good.
Quoted for truth, Suikoden 3 is very boring. I hope 5 picks up the slack as of late in the Suikoden series.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, 3 was still pretty damn good, freakin haters. If you want to dis on a game, then do it where it's deserved. 4, now that was the game that let the series down. As long as 5 is better than that, then I'll be happy.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Starnum wrote:Hey, 3 was still pretty damn good, freakin haters. If you want to dis on a game, then do it where it's deserved. 4, now that was the game that let the series down. As long as 5 is better than that, then I'll be happy.
Suikoden 2 was the only one that was actually worth writing home about actually. The other 3 were pretty meh. Especially 3 and 4.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, everyone's a critic, heh. ;)
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, everyone's a critic, heh. ;)
Ha ha ha, oh well man, as ya do.

I can be a harsh critic towards a lot of new age RPGs some times just in spite. Because I think the genre is over rated. In all honesty Suikoden 3 and 4 were not that bad, I just thought they were boring compared to 2.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, I can agree with you about 4, it was so bland. However, I still thought 3 was great. I really like Luc though, and it focused on him more than the others, so that's probably why. I found the story to be just as good as the first two games, and that's what it's really about. It's just a difference in opinion though, so it's all good.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Suikoden 1 - 10/10
Suikoden 2 - 12/10
Suikoden 3 - 6/10
Suikoden 4 - 1/10

Thats kinda it for me, I hope they do a real good job with Tactic and 5 because the serie is going downward alot and I hate Konami for that!! and I wouldnt play to Suikoden 3-4 again since they sucked ass, Suikoden 2 is my fav RPG of all time.

Cant beleive they wont do the suikogaiden in english I mean they are stupid its like refusing you pay money.

I ended S1 at least 5 times and S2 at least 6 times.
Suikoden arent real long RPGs, around 20 hours, max 30 if your new to the game. Thats one bad thing I could say about S2(maybe some bugs but even the bugs in this game makes it good).

There is really something wrong with S4, I mean you cant make a game that suck that much unless you want to cmon, its total crap. The game is so lame almost no plot, everything is predictable, they removed more stuff that were in older suikodens than they added. Except the graphics which are really not that famous and the new minigames, the game as nothing, the true rune in S4 is so lame too omg lol punishment rune really original, cant compare to the other true runes. They undoubtedly should have sticked with the guy who did the 1-2.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

How in the hell can you score a 12 out of 10? Your opinion is poop sir, good day. :P

You guys must smoke crack, 3 was cool damn it. Maybe I'm smoking crack, who knows. There's got to be some crack smoking going on here though.

Wait, I know, the creators of 4, they're the crack smokers! You know, since 4 was a prequel, they could've made an awesome game with Yuber as the main villian. They could've revolved the story around his origins and everything, it would've been awesome. Man, they sure screwed that up.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Edit:
Go there for the trailer of Suikoden 5 and if your a Suikoden fan http://www.suikox.com/

Suikoden 3 was too much changements to handle in 1 release I think, I mean it really doesnt look like a suikoden.

The graphics and the world map are my biggest disapointment in it, I mean Konami did Wild Arms in 1998 and I think they did a good job there and in 2002, S3 comes out and it evolved in graphics considerably but not enough for a 4 years, games like FF9-10 were coming out during that time. Yes it makes a difference to play games with good graphics before playing S3, exemple try playing FF7 youll see that graphics are really shitty. If S1-S2 didnt came out before S3, S3 would really be in the shadow of almost any other RPG coming out during that time.
World map dont know what happened to it, they came back to the Super Marios style and thought it would be innovating?
The army battles were...ok...its just I was waiting for something else, 4 years to end up doing some circles and making them change color with some hero pics above them, when you attack an ennemy it just makes you go in battles like the normal battles.

S3 best part is the story I guess, that game had a good plot and you go through it with 5 different parties which was pretty cool, it makes you hard to choose your main characters maybe, but I think Geddoe was the best of the 3, it also lets you have 3 parties for the final base. The cinematic at the start is great too (just look at the S4 starting cinematic... so lame, ill stop blasting S4 it will never end otherwise).
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wait a minute, you gave Suikoden 3 a 6/10 because of it's graphics and the world map? Dude, that shit isn't even that important. The graphics were fine. It's an RPG, the story and game-play are what it's about, and both of those aspects were great. I really liked the skill system too. Anyway, thanks for the link.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Well I gave 3 points for gameplay and 3 points for story, I dont see where to get more points the rest was crap, those ranking also went my personnal appreciation of the game, I gave it a 60% for it to pass, I didnt like the game that much in the end so I cant rank it really high.

Edit: character development wasnt really great except for the main parties, you have too many children and alot more than other suikodens of none fighting characters in the 108 stars. Maybe a 0.5 for character development for the main parties or other execptions(Zexen Knights, geddoe party, etc cool characters like that).
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I just hated the trinity system. It really slowed down the story to a borish pace. The battle system was boring as well. Suikoden IV was just bland, that is all.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Well what i hated about the trinity system is the Thomas story which was extremely boring and long, the dog special was kinda lame too, maybe funny at first but its just crappy filler.
Battling system, I liked the idea of your character spreading around the battle ground, but the fact that you could only control people by 2, that some spells hurted your allies because of range, that sometimes your characters dont have enough stamina to run to the enemy and hit them and that it made the battles twice as long as other Suikodens made it incredibly sucky, not to forget graphics were crappy.