Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars

Post by Brainpiercing »

This is a really great series about the conflict between an intergalactic empire of engineered humans and the rest of the human race. It's not your typical black or white kind of story, all sides get their share of being right and wrong.

It focuses mainly on two main protagonists and it's very much their interaction that makes the show so great. Great dialogue and sceneplay.

I recommend this to anyone who like sci-fi stories with a balance of space battles and character scenes.

Crest of the Stars is the first one, then come Banner of the Stars I-III. Unfortunately they seemed to have run out of money halfway through making the third series, so it's only two eps, and it really doesn't wrap anything up, but that's absolutely no reason not to watch this otherwise great show.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Its the an 80's anime right?

Reminds me of Galactic Heroes.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

No, it's not an 80s anime, it's actually quite new.

Banner III is from this year.

One more bit of info: This anime was made after a novel/series of novels, so if you don't feel satisfied with how much there is, then you can read the books. I've found three books on Amazon, but they are from different authors, so I don't know whether they were not written after the anime.

Ok, the original author seems to be Morioka Hiroyuki.
Brainpiercing
Tekode
imanewbie

Post by Tekode »

Crest/Banner of the stars is one of my favorite anime. First saw Crest of the Stars it when it aired on TechTV a few years ago. Though I recenetly re-watched Crest of the Stars and Banner I/II/III when III came out.
xephon
imanewbie

Post by xephon »

I was quite bored when i watched this series, seemed too dull to me
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Then you totally didn't get the finesse put into it. Sorry to put it this bluntly, but this series has some of the best dialogue and voice acting I've ever seen in anime. Sure it's not about fighting and becoming ridiculously strong, it's about devotion. The space fights are the most boring part of the series, that much is true, even for me.
Brainpiercing
xephon
imanewbie

Post by xephon »

I dunno, some types of anime just bore me.

Just because I did not care for it does not mean I "did not get the finesse put into"

It was just boring. I derived more entertainment out of pokemon than I did out of CoS.

My types of anime are either action or comedy. Not to say I dont like story line, because I do. But if it is just story line and nothing more, then it bores me.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well then it's up to taste I guess. Can't argue about that.
Brainpiercing