So bored: Game Idea topic. Join in!

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

So bored: Game Idea topic. Join in!

Post by Malvado »

Every forum has one of these, and well I'm bored. So post your idea about a game. I won't judge you and your lack of imagination. I shouldn't be talking.....Let me go first to start this off:

Title: Nest of Sparrows: Vietnam(temp. title. are there even sparrows in vietnam?)

We all know this war is the new topic of fps games. But this isn't a FPS it's a RPG! OH and I don't know miltary ranks so please correct me.

So you are a commander and have a squad of privates. Each has his/hers(were women in that war) own mastery.

Riflemen/snipers have longer range, and high damage, but are slow because of weapon weight and take longer to react. Machinegun/automatic users have meduim speed, multi-hit attacks, with more ammo, but low acc, and the smallest range of fire among range weapons. Pistol/small baby users are the fastest, have meduim range, meduim fire, meduim ammo, has more stances, but do smallest damage.

There are melee weapons but you most likely understand them already.

You might be wondering about the Stances, ok here it goes. Stances changes characters skills temporarly and open up new abiltes.
ex: sniper has the ablity to crouch which raises your acc up a lot and may hide you from target. That sounds good but you can't move while in it and it takes a while to get into crouch mode.
ex: Pistol one-handed lowers acc but lets you do things with other hand like hold a melee weapon or use a genade without pause. Other two- handed weapons make you put your gun away to use other weapons.

Each character has there own inventory, which means even if you put your
rifle on your back it still weights you down which can affect speed and stamina. There will be medics and scout classes but I haven't decided about their skills other then the normal healing and survalince repectfully.

You will be able to get the equipment of oppenants due to you are out on the field and won't be near your bases a lot so you need ammo, but beware don't wear the uniform of the enemy you might be fired on by allies.

You do make choices that affect the story and maybe the outcome of the war.
ex: blaming something big on the enemy instead of your carelessness may get the place nuked and we(the U.S.) win but you done wrong=bad ending; kinda.

Battle system. I wasn't so sure about this because I like the systems from baldur's gate, tactics orge, and vagrant story. But I'm thinking more of vagrant story due to body damage. Since shots to the leg would make you or your enemy move slower. The dome when you were going to attack on vagrant story helps show the difference of the range.

The towns. Most places aren't friendly and wouldn't really be selling weapons so money isn't really used in this game much. So towns are the normal rpg style towns. Bases aka. Places the U.S. soldiers reside have armory's and quests. These are also areas you learn new abilites and get your medals which in turn lets you have more prilivages(um...spelling).

Leveling up is the normal D&D style fare. Str, con, dex, wit, int, chr, etc

Ablities yay! Ok your abilties use up your stanmia and are based off of the old D&D magic stats. So the less Stamina which can be caused by weight or using lots of abilites.
ex: Pistol skill Multi-shot; when duel wielding you can hit multiple targets. Machinegun skill Spread; have you spin in a circle and hit everyone around you(not including allies i think....).
By looking at those two simaliar skills you can guess that multi-shot uses less stamina compared to spread.

Well that's all I can come up with now, I update even if I get no replies. And please post your ideas or thoughts also.
Last edited by Malvado on Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I was liking it up till the stances part but I dislike reading huge ass posts like that unless its in a heated conversation. Nice thread though.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Pyro
imanewbie

Post by Pyro »

good idea, i like the stances idea, would make it more real. :D
1|= y0|_| (4|\| R34|) 7|-|15, 7|-|3|\| y0|_| @r3 0|\|3 1337 G33k!
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Spell check your posts... I have not idea what "vitanam " is, but I'm guessing you meant: Vietnam.

If I spell check my posts, then so should you. It is only fair to the people that have to read it. Thanks - the management ^_^

Here is the typical organization for ground units (Marine Corps.):

* Fire team: four Marines
* Squad: three fire teams and a corporal or sergeant as squad leader
* Platoon: three squads, a platoon sergeant, and a lieutenant as platoon commander
* Company: three platoons, a Navy corpsman, a company gunnery sergeant, first sergeant, a first lieutenant as executive officer, and captain as commander
* Battalion: three or four companies, commanded by a lieutenant colonel
* Regiment: three or four battalions, commanded by a colonel
* Brigade: uncommon in the Marine Corps, but typically made up of one or more regiments and commanded by a brigadier general
* Division: three or four regiments, officers and others, commanded by a major general
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

psi29a wrote:Spell check your posts... I have not idea what "vitanam " is, but I'm guessing you meant: Vietnam.

If I spell check my posts, then so should you. It is only fair to the people that have to read it. Thanks - the management ^_^

Here is the typical organization for ground units (Marine Corps.):

* Fire team: four Marines
* Squad: three fire teams and a corporal or sergeant as squad leader
* Platoon: three squads, a platoon sergeant, and a lieutenant as platoon commander
* Company: three platoons, a Navy corpsman, a company gunnery sergeant, first sergeant, a first lieutenant as executive officer, and captain as commander
* Battalion: three or four companies, commanded by a lieutenant colonel
* Regiment: three or four battalions, commanded by a colonel
* Brigade: uncommon in the Marine Corps, but typically made up of one or more regiments and commanded by a brigadier general
* Division: three or four regiments, officers and others, commanded by a major general
Thanks, I thought i put something up there about my spelling. Time for a update!
Ishi-dono
Mastered PM

Post by Ishi-dono »

I say Ico 2 for a game idea...

And a Zelda game like Orcarina of Time, using todays advancements in game design. Also included would be a hugely expanded world and greater freedom. (and no cartoon like graphics, :?)
Choose your own destiny, no matter the cost.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Malvado: still... more spelling mistakes. At least use MS Word before posting something that long. :P

Ishi-dono: I happened to like the cell-shading for gamecube's Zelda. It was neat and added a bit of comic-book-esq appeal.
Ishi-dono
Mastered PM

Post by Ishi-dono »

I think that what you said in off the wall is true alot of the time, "to each his own." :wink:

(I'm just too volatile to take that into consideration, somethimes... :twisted:)
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

psi29a wrote:Malvado: still... more spelling mistakes. At least use MS Word before posting something that long.
Well I used Mircosoft word but everything comes out as one big run on paragraph so i didn't update the spelling.

Edit: blah i might as well. just give me a day or so.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Ishi-dono: Cell-Shading is a neat trick and does give a certain feel to a video game. That being said, it depends on what you trying to achieve in a game. Serious Sam for example... a fun FPS that was just non-stop blow shit up, fast. Thief on the other hand is another FPS, but with the objective of doing your mission with minimal application of violence.

Both are far extremes... and still fun. :D

I had worked with some people, 8 of us total (astral studios) in which we had a real chance of making a game that people would like to play. It was single-player with a SystemShock meets Halo kind of feal to it. Most of the people in our group were doing Balasitic Simulations for BAE Systems, so it was small in crowd of physics majors.... it is easy to set a vision and get people to contribute ideas, be excited and drink lots of beer. It is a hard thing to get people to agree on the details. :P Astral Studios is still around, but the game never took off outside of header files and some 3d engine source code. Game design can be fun, but when it gets to implementation... you need a strong work ethic to see it through.

On my own, I've written some small games... tetris, maze creater/path finder, towers of hanoi, Secret of Mana clone. I still dream of being a game programmer, but for right now... I'm a software engineer working for the man. :P I wish you guys well in your endevours.
Ishi-dono
Mastered PM

Post by Ishi-dono »

Cell shading is pretty cool, but it's just not my cup of tea (just like Halo is cool, but to me not very appealing). I find it amazing that you can ACTUALLY make games, if you really wanted. All I can do is dream. . .
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Ishi-dono wrote:I say Ico 2 for a game idea...

And a Zelda game like Orcarina of Time, using todays advancements in game design. Also included would be a hugely expanded world and greater freedom. (and no cartoon like graphics, :?)
They are making another Zelda game where link is grown up and the graphics are not cel-shaded like Windwaker. It looks freaking awesome. I thought everyone knew about this.

http://cube.ign.com/objects/572/572738. ... gamefinder

Oh, and I didn't like the kiddy cel-shaded look of windwaker at first either, but after playing the game, I like it a lot.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I think everyone DID know about it. Nah jk but i did :mrgreen:
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

how about a sim game where you try to dominate the world....
It shall be called "George W. Bush." :P
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Kêthêrîc wrote:how about a sim game where you try to dominate the world....
And then they can release a puzzle game for children and they can call that one 'Where's Osama?' :P

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

Eldo wrote:
Kêthêrîc wrote:how about a sim game where you try to dominate the world....
And then they can release a puzzle game for children and they can call that one 'Where's Osama?' :P
On second thought, Bush was already in a game.... Ape Escape for the PS. A puzzle game called where's Osama would be nice, but they would probably keep pushing back the release date. :roll:
Ishi-dono
Mastered PM

Post by Ishi-dono »

Theres also a game where Osama is the final boss. It's some kind of crappy anti-terrorism game on ps2.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

Hi all, sorry for necroing.

I am developing my own game (I work both as artist and programmer). Main character of a game can be seen in my avatar. I know C/C++, but I am using flash 8 as developmetn tool. Game will be a platform RPG somehow vaguely similar to cave story but with a physics seen in N Game. There will also be some elements from Soldat. So youll be this Robotic guy using keyborad to move and mouse to aim. Like in Diablo 1 there will be "town" where you can buy stuff, and bunch of levels where you can kick ass. I have halfway finished engine. Basically there is one thing that pisses me off about most RPG's that we see today: enemies that do nothing but wait for you to come and kick their asses. I am doing much reserch on subject like swarm behaivor to make my enemies scouting the area in search of you. Somethimes a player will be a hunted one.
Last edited by 42ndEndOfTheWorld on Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is good?-Whatever augments the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself, in man.
What is evil?-Whatever springs from weakness.
What is happiness?-The feeling that power increases-that resistance is overcome.

Nietzsche
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Is there a plot or story?

Whats the game play like?

What do I get as a reward for playing the game?
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

psi29a wrote:Is there a plot or story?
Well the game is about machines that rebeled against their masters. But unlike terminator and matrix machines in my game are good creative guys while humans are lazy and evil parasites that just play computer games and read Berserk all day :lol: .
Whats the game play like?
I told you: It is combination of N, Soldat and Cave Story
What do I get as a reward for playing the game?
Getting your face rocked by the best game ever created by God Emperor is not enough for you?
Last edited by 42ndEndOfTheWorld on Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is good?-Whatever augments the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself, in man.
What is happiness?-The feeling that power increases-that resistance is overcome.

Nietzsche
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Never played N, Soldat nor Cave Story... is it a platformer, is it RPG, is it... side scroller, 2d, 3d?

If you want me to play your game, you have to entertain me in some way, or be able to reward me.

A good story is greatly rewarding (Final Fantasy 6 or Secret of Mana), a fantastically hard and challenging game is rewarding (Myst or 7th Guest for example), also the ability to make other players feel like shit (like in WoW or UO where you get to destroy what others have built).

Another way is to offer reward in terms of money, allow them to put money into a pot, and who wins gets the pot of money.

I know you are not making a game for me (that I why I have making one in my own spare time), but you have to ask yourself some tough questions on what you want to do.

Is this just for fun, or do you plan on having this thing take of and earn you some bank?
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

psi29a wrote:Never played N, Soldat nor Cave Story... is it a platformer, is it RPG, is it... side scroller, 2d, 3d?

it is platformer with realistic physics and RPG. Like in soldat, main contols will be: AWSD for left, jump, duck and right, mouse to aim and fire. There will be some keys for using equipment and stuff. Physics will be pretty nicely done with bouncing, friction and stuff (just download N, and you'll se what I am talking about)
If you want me to play your game, you have to entertain me in some way, or be able to reward me.

A good story is greatly rewarding (Final Fantasy 6 or Secret of Mana), a fantastically hard and challenging game is rewarding (Myst or 7th Guest for example), also the ability to make other players feel like shit (like in WoW or UO where you get to destroy what others have built).

Another way is to offer reward in terms of money, allow them to put money into a pot, and who wins gets the pot of money.

Don't worry I made a pretty entertaining story. I think that we can all agree that working for machine goverment as a combat mech designed to kill everything is pretty awesome.

I am also reseaching swarm behavior. In most games your opponets are just standing waiting for you to show up, but here they will be hunting you.
I know you are not making a game for me (that I why I have making one in my own spare time), but you have to ask yourself some tough questions on what you want to do.

Is this just for fun, or do you plan on having this thing take of and earn you some bank?

Well Crazy Monkey is offering $1500 for really cool flash game if you put their advertising in game.

By the way can you describe a game that you are developing?

Nietzsche
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Mine is a faithful re-creation of warlords 2 using only web-based technologies that will make it OS independant. Reason I want to do this is because I love the game so much and I don't want it to die in DOS obscurity.

The second part is that since it was original a 8 player hotseat game (it also had play by email support), we used to place bets at who would win. So I figured the naturual extension would allow people to play like they would Fantasy Sports by putting money into a pot and whowever won, wins a certain amount.

So, there are two phases here. Phase 1: make the game enjoyable to play on a small scale and Phase 2: ramp up to large scale and introduce competitive play.

Warlords 2 if you are not familiar was a fantasy based start sim, way before command and conquore and Dune2. It simply was the best game.

Here is a link to the original Warlords: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlords_%28game_series%29

Warlords 2 just made it better. :D Warlords 3 was a step backwards as far as I was concerned... so I won't go there.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

I see. THis is basically very similar to Heroes Of Might And Magic.
Good luck with your project. Are you going to make exact remake (low res with few colors) and same units or are you going to expand it a bit?

Nietzsche
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Well the good news is that once I have a faithful recreation then I can expand upon it, add more content and the like. Doesn't have be fantasy at that point, could be sci-fi or modern.

Heroes of Might & Magic came out some years later and didn't capture the spirit of Warlords at all. It was good, but it didn't keep me addicted the game over the long winter breaks I had as child.

Good luck to you to, if you want to swap advice etc.. i'm always here. :D