The Official Art/Fan Art Thread

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

misuru
notanewb

Post by misuru »

... Well, one of them is cel shading (ie what you did with yours) and one of them is traditional media, probably a mix of markers, watercolour and pencil crayon. There are ways you can make photoshop look like traditional media, but you'll spend a few years trying to learn it. The filters more often than not, don't look anything like what you want them to, or it looks mechanical.

The cel shading route is easiest. But to do that you have to get some line art that doesn't have shading on it (basically just the outline). You basically did it already on your first one, you just can't see it very well because of the lines.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

misuru: Nice drawing! What did you do it with? Pencils? Charcoal? Will be waiting for that higher res version once you get your scanner.

sefirot0: The coloring is very solid, but the first thing that comes to mind when I see is that it needs more contrast. Also, forget about getting it to look like a painting, the only way to do that and not have it look like crap is to actually paint it yourself. Go with animation type shading, flat colors and subtle uses of gradients, and it'll look better. I think the first version was better too. And don't underestimate Miura's hatching abilities, use them to your advantage. Underneath his right arm for example, he's shaded the biceps and triceps a lot more when compared to the forearm. That's because it's meant to be considerably darker than it, same with the area underneath his chin.
misuru
notanewb

Post by misuru »

I used pencil for it. I could never get charcoal that clean, I always smear it all over the place, haha.
halfnhalf wrote:nice drawing misuru. For some reason i think of Soul caliber's Nightmare and his Soul Edge sword with the giant eye.
Never seen it before... got a screenshot?
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Here are a few and I thought the same when I first saw it.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
misuru
notanewb

Post by misuru »

Ooo, I take it as a compliment :D
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

necro got it. Show us some more pics Misuru. Can't wait to see what you got next!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Andrea Lam
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
misuru
notanewb

Post by misuru »

Yes?
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Just checking.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Woow, nice drawing misuru. Original, although I'm not very sure what it is supposed to be.

Sefiroto, the first is better, lots better if you ask me.
Dream
imanewbie

Post by Dream »

Hi all, here's a little something I drew recently

By the way the sword looks like it can't cut anything doesn't it? Its actually suppose to be that way and if you read the novel you'll know why :)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Yes, it's lonely being invincible...ah, to leave the remaining days with a trusted friend, the condor.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

He looks like one of the guys from eldos chinese comics.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Pretty good Dream.

Geez, I have not picked up the pencil in a long time, maybe I will have another go soon.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Dream is the guy from Three Kingdoms?

I read a manhua based on it and they guy in your drawing reminds me of one of the guys in the manhua.

Nice drawing speciely the guy is very nice.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
J2 Cool
notanewb

Post by J2 Cool »

Nice drawing Dream, only the position of the eyes/nose/mouth seem a little off in relation to the way his head's turned. But it's really good.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

so how does the sword work?? Nice drawing btw.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

According to the book, the sword's tip is ball shaped, and the edge is very blunt. It is also supposed to be very heavy as well. It is made from a special ore that can easily cause high damage to it's surroundings, and if it is properly smithed, it can just about cut through or shatter anything at his will. His sword is purposely shaped (and also heavy on purpose) to give his opponents a 'upper hand' and also to train and reach higher peaks on the way of the sword.

The original weilder is said to be invincible, and has yet to meet a challenger to is able to defeat him. He knows not the meaning nor the taste of defeat, and he's practically begging someone to have the ability to kick his arse. He's lonely because of his invincible status. At age 40, he mastered the ability to defeat a swordsman without weilding a sword.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Dream
imanewbie

Post by Dream »

thanks guys! I am planning to change his face a little to make him look older, hopefully I can make it right this time.
Yeah, this guy's from a novel by Jin Yong. But he wasn't a main character. In fact, he died many years before the story took place. There's a comic version of the novel, called "legendary couple" or something like that anyway. Never read it, but if it is anything like the novel I am sure it will be an awesome comic.
About the sword...well, I don't really know how to explain it. Basically all the fighters in Jin Yong's novels have this "energy" that flows in their bodies. Sorta like the Chakra thing in Naruto. The wielder of this blunt sword have to transfer huge amount of this energy into the sword and by doing so they can cut through anything, so the sharp edges are not necessary. That's also why it was made big and heavy, so that it can withstand the large amount of energy and won't snap in two in combat.
Yeah I suck at explaining, I am sure Eldo can do a much better job than I could.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Yeah, I read the comic. Absolutely butchered condor heroes.

Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

here is an update on a little bit of crap i drew a while ago..... still haven't worked on it much though. It was going to be Caska from cover art, but i decided to free mind it after a while. Photobucket is being crap so ill try to post them both. I still have to finish the sketching, then go over alot, like move the eye down more yet, finish up the neck armor and shoulders and straighten out some of the cloth. any comments on improvements are welcomed, as i know some people pointed out some helpful hints last time.
firelighted

original (sorry scanner makes it look like rough paper)

firelighted with help of computer
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

Greetings! I was told by Necro to post this here:

Quick question! Because I REALLY want to draw some of the pictures in the mangas (specially the two page ones), how does one get the kid of shading that is done down? For example, one the last picture of Chapter 258 of Griffith standing there, if you look at his pants below the armor...ok, the way that's shaded. Is it down by hand? Or? Any help would be appreciated because I really want to draw that picture. Especially after staring at that picture while listening to "Earth."
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Post the picture you wana copy.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

They resized it so you can't really see what I'm talking about but...oh well... ^_^
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Bump because it was mentioned in the Berserk forums and I was pretty sure I made one of these.

Of course, I'm not coming to this thread empty-handed:

http://www.rhythmshift.net/hermegildo/a ... l-test.wmv

Comments and criticisms always welcome.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 05, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.