Grave Of The Fireflies

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Did you cry at the end of the anime?

Yes I cried
35%
It almost made me cry
25%
No I don't think the story is worth crying at all
20%
It just made me really sad
20%

Total votes: 20

Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Grave Of The Fireflies

Post by Sahlen »

One of the best animes I've watched and the first movie which ever made me cry. :oops:
I just wan't to know if I'm the only one who did.
Ashes To Ashes, Dust to Dust, Life is Short, So Party We Must!
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

They deserved it. You just don't fuck with the USA's energy policy or we mess your shit up good.
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

No one deserves to be threatend like that...
That's just wrong
Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

The story was pretty sad and the setting was extremly bleak. The fireboming that took place forced those kids to seek shelter with relatives that didn't care at all.

While is was sad, I still have to say the most depressing thing ever featured in any anime was the Akemi episode of She, the Ultimate Weapon.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

Laik wrote: While is was sad, I still have to say the most depressing thing ever featured in any anime was the Akemi episode of She, the Ultimate Weapon.
dude that anime sucked....
granted i watched it high but i probably would have come to the same conclusion if i didnt watch it high

if you wanna hate something you love... watch it high, everything becomes obvious and lame... like samurai champloo
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

I loved the movie, I dont know what you people are thinking who hate it, it is touching, and made me tear up and cry a little.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

Dominion wrote:
Laik wrote: While is was sad, I still have to say the most depressing thing ever featured in any anime was the Akemi episode of She, the Ultimate Weapon.
dude that anime sucked....
granted i watched it high but i probably would have come to the same conclusion if i didnt watch it high

if you wanna hate something you love... watch it high, everything becomes obvious and lame... like samurai champloo
Well, the anime itself was a bit over the top seeing that it seemed to try too hard to be depressing. Still, that single episode was probably one of the most depressing things ever featured in any anime I saw.
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Come on people this anime is so famous.
It can't be that only 7 peolple have watched this anime on this forum...

Please =)
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I first saw Grave of the Fireflies back in 99 or 98 in my 10th grade Japanese class. One of the best animated films I have ever seen, I now own it on dvd.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

While I do think it is a great film, I certainly don't think of it as the end all be all of dramatic anime or any thing.
Darnoc
Mastered PM

Post by Darnoc »

I looked at animenewsnetwork.com for info about this anime and IMO it seemed like a piece of shit.

jesus! How can an anime that tells about two orphaned kids living their lives in a war-ridden country be good! 269 out of 483 users at ANN rated it a masterpiece. :shock: They must be either totally stupid or someone was pointing a gun at their face when they were voting.

But it's fine with me. Everyone can watch what they like. This is just my opinion... perkele...
On March 2006 Ajattara strikes back... damn... still 4 months
Itse---Kuolema---Tyhjyys---Apare
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

IMO it IS a CLASSIC.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Volyund
imanewbie

Post by Volyund »

I watched it in 5th grade at home, my whole family cried rivers. I also watched it in my 6th grade class in Japan, the whole class cried...
If you have any heart it will bring tears to your eyes.
The cruelty of war, the cruelty of people who are trying to survive, the cruelty of people who care only about their own family, the cruelty of society.
Wakizashi - Japanese Short Sword worn only by Samurai next to katana.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Apparently you haven't been keeping up with history. I feel no sympathy for what the movie portrays. I watched the movie, and felt betrayed and extremely bitter. Why you ask? Because, the Japanese brought it on themselves. The rape of the Chinese, Mongolia, Korea, and Philippians. They treated the people who lived there like they were worth nothing, the "camps" if you can call it that were far more devious than any Nazi made concentration camp. Why do you think China is so pissed off right now about Japan's history books? Because Japan is white washing history, they are making movies like this that make you feel sympathetic to their situation. Sorry, it will get none from me, if anything they should have done a story on those who they tortured, raped, and killed in other countries.
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

That's so not the point of this movie psi. I hate japan and what it stands for but that doesn't justify what war does to innocent people. The hatred should technically be directed to the government. The farming communities in rural japan is, as far as I'm concerned, innocent civilians just like the Chinese, Koreans, Philippines, Mongolians (though they technically didn't get owned) and what have you.

I think that the point of this movie is that no matter who's side you're on, war is still going to create suffering for the innocent people. Sadness is the inevitability of this act.

I'm Chinese and believe me, I know about my nation's history and i do hold a grudge against japan for what they did in the past. But I also have to look at it from an unbiased point of view and realize that in the end no matter what their government did, Japanese still suffered; I think that deserves sympathy.

Now I'm writing this really fast so i might not be able to write a very convincing piece. I'll get back later on and maybe edit a bit of it.
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

No need for a convincing dialog, we all have opinions, and I'm pretty darn stubborn once I've made up my mind. :D

I just can't take the work seriously. I felt nothing for it, I own it on VHS because I was a screener for it and "Rail to the Stars" which I thought was an infinitely superior piece.
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

Whenever my friends and I have a discussion about this sorta thing i'm always the one who seems to be siding with a japs... Now i'm known as Chinese Traitor to them haha =_=. I almost got into a fight once because of my opinion on this matter.
linoleum
imanewbie

Post by linoleum »

It so sad....i cry thanks God I watched it alone...

War is so bad thing .... I hate it....
OY
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Hating things is the prime catalyst in wars. Be careful.
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

^ :kekeke:
Messatsu
This is my new home

Post by Messatsu »

heh nice one :)

I watched this long ago when i was a wee angst filed teen( oh come on weren't you?) and i have to admit that it made me cry. But that was a long time ago and id have to re watch it now with a better judgment for movies.
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

I watched it when i was like 7... I cried cuz I wanted watermelons when the kid was eating it and I couldn't get one
Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

psi29a wrote:Apparently you haven't been keeping up with history. I feel no sympathy for what the movie portrays. I watched the movie, and felt betrayed and extremely bitter. Why you ask? Because, the Japanese brought it on themselves. The rape of the Chinese, Mongolia, Korea, and Philippians. They treated the people who lived there like they were worth nothing, the "camps" if you can call it that were far more devious than any Nazi made concentration camp. Why do you think China is so pissed off right now about Japan's history books? Because Japan is white washing history, they are making movies like this that make you feel sympathetic to their situation. Sorry, it will get none from me, if anything they should have done a story on those who they tortured, raped, and killed in other countries.
Hah, imagine shooting a child unable to speak and blaming it for "asking" its father to go to war.

The war itself was just the background of the film, probably because the designers were most accustomed to what happened in their own country. I don't see how anyone could care for where it took place, it could happen anywhere where a war breaks out. If its you or them, it doesn't change the story right.