SNES/Games these days

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

mrJotaan
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

SNES/Games these days

Post by mrJotaan »

Since I recently got Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Edition, it's made me think of the old days when I used to play in the arcades and on my SNES. It also got me thinking to consoles these days and how back in the SNES days, their controllers could take one hell of a beating while maintaining functionality. Even though the console market seems to be bigger these days, the overall experience of a console doesn't seem as special as it used to be. The quality thrown into any games, console or computer based seems to be lacking. Companies see that one particular idea is popular so they start to throw out a barrage of bandwagon games that just kill the market. The originality of games these days just isn't there, everything seems to be riding the wave of another game's success. There are a few exceptions but it's hard to know what's good these days since there's too many games coming out.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Re: SNES/Games these days

Post by Eldo »

mrJotaan wrote:Since I recently got Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Edition, it's made me think of the old days when I used to play in the arcades and on my SNES. It also got me thinking to consoles these days and how back in the SNES days, their controllers could take one hell of a beating while maintaining functionality. Even though the console market seems to be bigger these days, the overall experience of a console doesn't seem as special as it used to be. The quality thrown into any games, console or computer based seems to be lacking. Companies see that one particular idea is popular so they start to throw out a barrage of bandwagon games that just kill the market. The originality of games these days just isn't there, everything seems to be riding the wave of another game's success. There are a few exceptions but it's hard to know what's good these days since there's too many games coming out.
Well...originality has dried out. Most of the games follow the 'winning formulas', and they think it's risky to create an original game that may not sell well. It's kinda sad some sequels are the exact (or near exact) copies of its predecessor, like Mechassault, Baldur's Gate, Dark Alliance, etc.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

I agree about sequels being the same as the predecessor. I wish there were more games like Morrowind, each elder scrolls game is a different story, not building on the last one so it's always original :D.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I played Morrowind for hte xbox, my Guy was crazy good. But i put it off for like a month and then i forgot how to what I was supposed to do. I was the horrator part. The fighting system in the game was horrible though. :(
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

I beat morrowind along with the expansion packs. It was an amazing game, it's too bad that for pc, it was pretty random whether the game would run smoothly on your computer or not. Didn't matter what machine you had, it could very easily run like a piece of crap, even when tweaking the settings. I actually started to buy older games since the new games that are coming out suck.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

mrJotaan wrote: new games that are coming out suck.
*thinks about MGS3, KotOR2, and Resident evil 4* .... :|
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

There are exceptions to that but the majority of them suck D:.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

AH HAA . So I am right then.. :twisted:
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Buzkashi wrote:AH HAA . So I am right then.. :twisted:
Well...it's only a generalisation that sequels are worse than the originals. There are some exceptions, but as a whole, it sucks a lot of balls. KOTOR2 was not as good as the original, games like MGS and RE are great because the formula is not as tiring as others. Now, Suikoden 4 seems like a waste of time....

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Halo 2 didnt have as great an impact on me than halo1 did.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

Personally I think Halo was an overrated piece of crap, by normal standards, there are so many better multiplayer games.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Nah I enjoyed Halo 1 better than other shooting multiplayer game (except golden eye) . Seriously whats up with everyone bashing main stream video games. Theres a lot of ones that are enjoyable.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

I played Halo 1 and thought there was nothing special about it. A couple of my friends bought an XBOX just for Halo 2 which is sad. I'm not bashing mainstream games, I'm just bashing one mainstream game.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

mrJotaan wrote:I played Halo 1 and thought there was nothing special about it. A couple of my friends bought an XBOX just for Halo 2 which is sad. I'm not bashing mainstream games, I'm just bashing one mainstream game.
I bought my XBOX just for Ninja Gaiden.... :roll:

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Eldo wrote:
mrJotaan wrote:I played Halo 1 and thought there was nothing special about it. A couple of my friends bought an XBOX just for Halo 2 which is sad. I'm not bashing mainstream games, I'm just bashing one mainstream game.
I bought my XBOX just for Ninja Gaiden.... :roll:
Bah. That game was alright at best. One thing that pissed me off was the little ammount of saves so if you died you would have to go back to the last check point.
Jn183
imanewbie

Post by Jn183 »

Standing in line for 30minute to just play 2 rounds since for sure u suck and would lose. Now got to wait in line just to play the damn game again. Now it's very rare to see lines and people packing at arcade places where I'm at. Snes controller... hehe... gives my hand blister over and over but still somehow last. The moment that my Snes controllers pad just totally torn up b/c of super street fighter 2 that was the last time I ever really take any fighting game serious. The moment was gone. I never got that exciting feeling about fighting games anymore. Tekken was decent but just not the same. The moment Snes broke I loss that feeling for game period. Hope you guys know what I mean. :(
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Jn183 wrote:Standing in line for 30minute to just play 2 rounds since for sure u suck and would lose. Now got to wait in line just to play the damn game again. Now it's very rare to see lines and people packing at arcade places where I'm at. Snes controller... hehe... gives my hand blister over and over but still somehow last. The moment that my Snes controllers pad just totally torn up b/c of super street fighter 2 that was the last time I ever really take any fighting game serious. The moment was gone. I never got that exciting feeling about fighting games anymore. Tekken was decent but just not the same. The moment Snes broke I loss that feeling for game period. Hope you guys know what I mean. :(
My snes used a diskette system, called a doctor. So there really wasn't need for cartridges...I just had to load the roms to the floppy (in the correct format) and load it in the doctor and played. A pity that it only supported games that were less than 12 meg cartridges...I couldn't get some games to work...like NBA Jam.

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

awww, makes me sad. I used to have a docter64. Would hook up to the bottom of the N64 and I would load the imports on a CD and off I went. I miss my poor DR & N64. :(
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I brought an xbox for Jet Set Radio Future. I don't regret.

But yeah I buy old games a lot more then new games, getting lots of PS rpg's i missed like saga frontier, etc. Lots of dreamcast stuff too but I hardly look at my snes or genesis so i don't look for things for them.

Games are going to follow a formula if they are big companies, most of the small companies come out unique but fall due to lack of support. Nintendo is trying something innovative with their DS but I've seen nothing to warrent a purchase. Stay with my PSP and get armored core(even if i can't control it) like i always do because innovation isn't surprising me.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Malvado wrote:I brought an xbox for Jet Set Radio Future. I don't regret.
I brought my XBOX to watch DivX. :)

Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

SNES was THE system to have.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I never had one. Back then you were one or the other and I was a Sega kid.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I didn't have either. :?

Of course I played them at my friends' houses. I just didn't own either myself. The first system I owned was a Playstation. I was so happy to get it too!
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Gaiseric wrote:I never had one. Back then you were one or the other and I was a Sega kid.
Lies i had them both ahahaha. And i'm a poor black kid.....
Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

^ lol

yeah, i had a sega too. I didn't get a SNES until later, but i used to play it at a friends house.