RIP Kentaro Muira

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

RIP Kentaro Muira

Post by Grahf »

ugh Seems like Muira-sensei is no longer with us. https://twitter.com/berserk_project/sta ... 91680?s=20

Edit: He passed away on May 6.
"Context is for Kings"
Crono454
imanewbie

Re: RIP Kentaro Muira

Post by Crono454 »

This website is synonymous with Berserk for me. It’s amazing to me how much Miura touched all our lives.

I love you guys.

Condolences to his fam. Rest In Peace.
Jn183
imanewbie

Post by Jn183 »

Think of this site. RIP MUIRA/BERSERK...Guts Theme OST hitting a different sadness note now. Be well all. Create your own ending.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh no, this is a truly sad day. Miura-san was a legend and will be sorely missed. I don't even know what to say...
I just found out and couldn't help but think of you guys. I hope everyone is well. Another dream has come to an end but the bonfire still burns. Take care everyone.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

RIP

I couldn't believe it when I heard. I'm devastated, but lots of nice words everywhere online right now, including here. Really great to see that.

Edit: While there's lots of amazing artwork I've always liked, this panel here really stuck with me over the years. Kinda fits the moment:

Last edited by War Machine on Thu May 20, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

The reach of his work was vast. The salutes all over the internet have been impactful. I don't think this week will be saved for me. However seeing this brightened my bleak evening.

https://twitter.com/localhyurzen/status ... 49286?s=20
"Context is for Kings"
Aeriel
Mastered PM

Post by Aeriel »

Oh man, I can't believe this. Rest in peace Miura-sensei. :( Your work made my childhood brighter.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Damn. Damn. Damn.

I'm a bit in shock. The impact Miura and Berserk had on my entire life is quite astounding. I joined DigitalPanic! at like 12 years old - soon after Psi started these messageboards. I literally learned how to use the internet so that I could read Berserk. This manga started me on a lifelong journey of reading comic books. So sad. Hope you guys are all doing ok. Would be nice to hear from y'all.

Love Buz <3
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Can't really find the words. I love this community, even if sporadic publication has made it a bit of a ghost town and I hardly post — you're all part of what Berserk is, to me. Thanks for the past 16 years.

I'm happy with how Berserk ended. That Miura did not outlive his work is a terrible tragedy.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Berserk was one of the few things I would keep up with and check in on since my formative years. I read The Hawks and got turned to EG and looked forward to every chapter even at the slowed down rate. Aortic dissection...damn...this one hurts.

It is nice to know that his work blossomed in popularity. I know that back when I got into the anime nobody I knew had heard of it and when you would search for the graphic novel, that kid's book "Hippos Go Berserk" would be the first result.
Last edited by dialdfordesi on Thu May 20, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

RIP Miura, your genius and talent will be missed.

I founded EG with Oro way back in 2005 specifically to scanlate Berserk. 16+ years this site has been online as a temple of respect and reverence to Miura and will continue to be so. We had a lot of fun, pulling pranks on skullknight.net (by registering skullknight.org and redirecting to evil-genius.us), but always lots of respect and love in this small and special community.

You are all like family and we mourn together.

DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

I'm sad. I hope Miura had a happy life and felt the overwhelming love people have for his art.

I started reading around 15 years ago in high school, it was my first manga. I've stopped reading manga in general, but Berserk was the one thing I still followed. Whenever a chapter came out, it felt like a gift from Miura, a glimpse into the world and story he wanted to tell.

Art and graphic design have been a big part of my life, and I got into it because of Berserk. I started using photoshop to make joke images (I believe they're called "memes" these days) and wallpapers related to Berserk on this forum. And that led me to joining EG and learning more about graphic design, and making friends along the way. Back when this place was lively, heck we had some good times. We joined for Berserk, but stayed for the discussion. Well, and then we mostly stopped discussing, but we still stayed for Berserk. Also I want to mention the forum on theblackswordsman.com, it's been gone for many years but I remember good times with the people there as well.

Miura left us with a great work, even unfinished, but damn if I don't still wish to see what he would've had in store for the end. But so it goes. Berserk is something I'll always treasure, and as life goes on I'm sure to revisit it time and time again.
2Fast4
imanewbie

Post by 2Fast4 »

I'm quite lost for words. His work is to me some of the most powerful art I've ever enjoyed.
I do hope his passing was painless and quick. He and his art will be sorely missed.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

This sucks. We get to witness the travesty of GoT ending but not Berserk.
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

It is really a sad day made worse by the fact that aortic dissection sounds like a terrible way to die. We really will all miss Muira.
hadi
This is my new home

Post by hadi »

o man. what terrible news this is. rest in peace Miura.
bhaal
imanewbie

Post by bhaal »

I hope there is an afterlife and Miura is seeing how much he was respected and loved by people all around the world.
Don't fear the darkness until you see what light can do.
DarkOblivion
imanewbie

Post by DarkOblivion »

Although I haven't used this account much, according to my join date, I would've been 15 when I joined. I'm now 31, so I've been following Berserk for over half my life. The hiatuses have been somewhat tedious, but I stuck with it, because I loved Berserk so much, and I believed in Miura, and the story he was trying to tell.

I was just absolutely devastated when I first read the news today; it was 7am, and it's now 7pm, and I've literally thought about Berserk all day. I've teared up a few times. But despite the awful news, I'm happy that from what I've seen across the internet, he was universally respected and will be missed by a lot of people.

RIP.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I heard it today while at work, and although I haven't been active on the forum side of this site in quite some time, this was the first place I thought of.

Another amazing visionary taken too soon.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

This sucks. Despite the sporadic releases, Berserk remained one of my absolute favorite manga, and I was always willing (if not happy) to wait for the next chapter. Now it's over too soon.

RIP Miura. May you be in a better place. Your work in this world has been dearly loved and appreciated.
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

Just literally heard, and i am sad.

Rest in Peace Muira. I hope he had a wonderful enough life.

I have been following this since i was a school girl and here till now. I loved his artwork and everything about the story. I do not know anything about his personal life, or anything, but I hope everything was good for him, as he brought joy to my life.
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

Such sad news...

I've come here just after reading about Miura-sensei's death. All the emotions that I've felt while reading Berserk have marked me for life. And getting to read your posts, guys/gals, made the long hiatuses much easier whenever I was feeling the itch.

Next time I travel to Japan, I'll pay him a visit for sure.

Hugs from Spain, EG community!!! Berserk is Forever.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Rest in Peace Miura.

I'm emotionally destroyed and barely been able to keep it together. Crying on and off since I've heard the news.
This hurts bad. For his family, fictional family, and us. Berserk shaped me into who I am. Miura shaped me into who I am. Thank you.
SilentSnake
imanewbie

Post by SilentSnake »

Last time I felt this powerless was the first time I've seen the eclipse happen.

This shook me way more than I expected, I honestly expected to see the end of the story some day.

Thank you for all those years of great translation, Miura's story and your work shaped a large part of who I am today.
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

If this community plans to make a more personal tribute to Miura's legacy (if it's even possible), I'm happy to pitch in some money. Be nice if we could send a wreath of flowers or something for his grave in Japan.

Or to his publisher's building, if it's more appropriate.