Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Re: Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Post by Sandman »

I have been watching kingdom and they are doing a hybrid style animation, where the action is in CGI and the talking is in traditional anime look to it and it is starting to bug me :evil:

I hope they do something a little more sophisticated... of course the kingdom was animated in 2012 so I bet it will be better, I hope... I will still watch no matter what kind of shit they put on the screen... if only to come here and bitch about it. :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

dont care now that its in this "format" animation. Would I have preferred the original trailers? hell yea! But... this. this is berserk... past the golden age arc... now in anime form... something I have been waiting for since the original anime ended.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I enjoyed it despite the changes.
"Context is for Kings"
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Berserk Ep1 @ 1080p

Magnet link:

Code: Select all

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:BOSRGSUOADLFLZIYUQ4IGQYKCHCRLVYY&tr=http://open.nyaatorrents.info:6544/announce&tr=udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce
Enjoy!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Well, that was a whole lot better than it could have been. The CG is mostly REALLY awful, but the 2D close-ups are pretty nice. I really like the way they're getting Isidro in there as well.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Thanks for saving me the trouble, psi29a.
LordMune wrote:The CG is mostly REALLY awful, but the 2D close-ups are pretty nice.
Just like in the movies, whenever the video goes from drawn to 3D there's a serious drop in frames per second that I can't ignore, but the action is amazing so far. The metal clunking sound effect on the sword is so good, I love it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The problem is that the framerate remains constant, but since 2D animation at 12fps (or less) is the sort-of watchable default for anime productions, they end up cutting frames from the 3D animation to match and it looks like shit.

One of the benefits of 3D animation is that you can arbitrarily interpolate to higher framerate. Sure, you very quickly hit diminishing returns and quality is ultimately going to be determined by the artist's keyframes, but... Since they're culling frames to match the limited animation of the 2D assets, I'm confident that the finished product looks about a thousand times worse than it did while the 3D animator was actually working on the sequence.

But that's an industry-wide problem, the anime industry needs to wake from its shitty CG fever dream and do it right. There's a lot to like about this anime, particularly the SFX.
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

Agreed on the 3D. I'm hoping that it only improves going forward.

I'm on the fence about the music. In a lot of ways it fits really well, but I'm so used to the soundtrack in the original series it's hard to associate any other music with Berserk. I guess I'll get used to it...
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm pretty much in agreement with the majority of you. There's a lot to love about this first episode. The animation is going to take some getting used to, and I'm not a big fan of all the sketch lines on their faces and stuff. I suppose they're trying to make it look more like a graphic novel or something, but the Berserk manga doesn't really look like that anyway. Still, at least they have a decent budget. I know the original was a fan favorite, but the over-use of still frames always bothered me. Animation and art design aside, everything else is pretty great. Indeed I'm hoping that it'll only get better from here. I'm loving the sound track and sound effects for sure. It seems like they're playing with the continuity a bit, bringing in Isidro early and such, but as long as it all makes sense then I'm fine with that. I'm still wondering if we'll see any of the stuff from before the Retribution arc, such as the stuff with Roshinu or the Slug Count. I guess we'll find out in the weeks ahead. I'm so stoked that we'll be getting a new episode every Friday for the rest of the year. Man this really is the year of Berserk. We thought there'd never be a "season 2", but after 20 years of enduring the pain of waiting and hoping, the God Hand has finally accepted our sacrifices and brought our dreams to bear. Far be it from me to complain about it too much, lol. Plus the manga is back on, and there's a new game coming out in September. I'll definitely be picking it up, and if it's anything like the other Musou titles, I'm sure it'll have at least some form of janky online play. So get at me if you wanna mess some shit up when that drops. I'll certainly be down. ;)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

The rest of the year? or just for the Summer anime season?

edit: 24 episodes ..... damn that is great. Looking forward to Friday mornings now.
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yes sir! 8)
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

eh. Sorta sad they missed out on basically the first two monsters guts kills and now changing the fake faeries... if they bother to even do that, which i doubt... for censorship =\

ah well, we get the whipping scene... because all know that S&M is best
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

Alright ..... That's a lot better!
By the way,the voice actor of Guts is the same as in previous project.Can't say much about music.The opening song sounds a bit strange.
but CG ... Gah !... Mother , born me back again.
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense, and taking the Void as the Way, you will thee the Way as Void.In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence,spirit is nothingness."- M.M (TBO5R)
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

For how much I wanted to hate it the show was not that bad... I hated the music it was like an over the top scary movie... the story differences not to bad yet but there is a long way to go... I feel like it is going to be rushed and some of the character development is going to go by the way side... I think that the animation is a lot better then what I thought it would look like... although I agree with Starnum that the sketch lines are annoying but we have been waiting so long for so new material that it could be stick figures on the screen and I would be happy :twisted:
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

I wish they would have continued the original anime in the way they did this with Haijime no Ippo, same cast, same sound (not same composer, but still doesn't feel like it's that different while it clearly is different).
Ah well, just glad they decided to continue at all, the movies were a bit fast paced, missing a bit of character development and maybe it's not as good for newcomers but what do I care, I watched the original anime and that cliffhanger made me read the manga so I'm biased anyway.

I liked it, not a big fan of the music, but it's kind of badass in it's own way. Started rereading the manga after watching the movies + first episode.
So yeah it got me pumped enough to start again and I pre-ordered that Musou game too, for PS4.
CyberNinja
imanewbie

Post by CyberNinja »

I'm gonna skip the show and get the game.

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I guess some of us love Berserk more than others :twisted:
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

Hmmmmm...just saw the 2nd episode. Story wise, I'm ok with what they're doing mostly. It's unfortunate they cut the fight with the fairy apostle. It was after that fight when he stumbled into the holy iron chain knights. But in this anime it's after he fought that possessed tree, so it's weird to see him struggle swing his sword around.

But otherwise I'm ok with their decisions on starting where they are and finagling the timeline a bit. I think a few more episodes in it'll be less awkward for people who've read the manga (...10+ times).

That 3D animation though...uuuuuurrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh. Also, why was Caska white as fuck in the flashbacks? I hope they don't give her light skin for the entire series.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

BigSassy wrote:Hmmmmm...just saw the 2nd episode. Story wise, I'm ok with what they're doing mostly. It's unfortunate they cut the fight with the fairy apostle. It was after that fight when he stumbled into the holy iron chain knights. But in this anime it's after he fought that possessed tree, so it's weird to see him struggle swing his sword around.

But otherwise I'm ok with their decisions on starting where they are and finagling the timeline a bit. I think a few more episodes in it'll be less awkward for people who've read the manga (...10+ times).

That 3D animation though...uuuuuurrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh. Also, why was Caska white as fuck in the flashbacks? I hope they don't give her light skin for the entire series.
About the Rosine (the fairy apostle), I would've liked to see it, no question about it, but not much of importance to the overall story happens in that arc so I can see why they cut it.

And about Caska being white, am I the only one that doesn't care? Reddit's going insane over this and I'm like, Miura has drawn her every possible shade and color in the manga and artwork as well. Besides, we've still only seen her in dream sequences with intense brightness.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

For the most part, it's as bad as I expected it to be. Horrible CGI, tons of stuff skipped, cringe music trying to be badass, story is a mess trying to do everything at once and is apparently adding filler, Iwanaga is still trash as Guts. Having said that the second episode gave me a glimmer of hope that this won't just be completely terrible like the movies were. I definitely got pumped when the Hirasawa track kicked in, and now that the first episode trying to combine a bunch of shit is over, this second one seemed like they were actually trying to follow the manga (they still skipped stuff, but you can nitpick an anime adaptation all day I suppose). Hopefully that will follow throughout the rest of the episodes, but I'm not holding my breath.

The bits of drawn animation are such a tease. They look great, and when it shifts back to clunky PSX models it's that much more of a stark reminder of how bad the CGI looks.

It's not like I want to be negative about my favorite manga series getting an adaptation, but I honestly don't know how you guys are enjoying this.
MehNope
imanewbie

Post by MehNope »

Simply, it's not that bad. You may not like it because the reasons you list. But I think you're being way to critical. Perhaps the reason people can like it is they can accept it's faults and just enjoy it for what it is, rather than rigidly looking at what we want it to be and complaining because it can't live up to a standard that they will never be able to reach. Also, if you expect from the start it's going to be horrible, it's not surprising that it would "live up to" your expectations.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I think it is because we all braced our selves for the suck :evil: ... but just the fact that Berserk is not dead makes me happy :twisted:

Plus you never know this series might get remade just like the last one did... which was still disappointing but was a lot more graphic due to the fact that it was in movie style OVA's versus TV censored content... as long as I get to see Guts fuck up the kushan assassins, beat the living shit out of the egg apostles minions, see Griffith reborn, watch the fight at the hill of swords, see the fight with the trolls and Ogre, see guts get fucked up by Slan and then shoot her thru the stomach, then Guts getting the berserker armor and whip up on the apostles I think I will be satisfied... I know it is a tall order but if they don't do it all I am pretty sure Netflix would be an awesome company to by the rights to it because, say what you will about Netflix, they have done some pretty awesome anime adaptations in recent memory.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Sandman wrote:I think it is because we all braced our selves for the suck :evil:
That's all there is to it. Story-wise, nothing of substance has changed so we're all happy on that front. The only complaint would be the cuts, but, starting from episode 2, they seem to be moving very slowly, so I'm guessing we'll see a lot more detail and development for the rest of this arc, if they even finish the entire arc in this first season.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

For the record, I think the CG stuff looks better than the 2D stuff. My only problem with the CG is that Guilty Gear Xrd exists.

Love the sound effects, love the metal-ish music and fucking love that Susumu track. Gives me a huge boner every time.

Enjoying it a ton.

But maybe I'm a little biased towards anything Berserk.

(Hey guys!)
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

What the fuck are these opinions

Who the fuck are you

Welcome back, man