Love and whatnot

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Love and whatnot

Post by The Herald »

As we all know Berserk is a masterful example of the art of manga and just writing in general. As with any story out there a central relationship must be put in place. I'm starting this thread to get people to yack about all the love and whatnot that's happened, is on going, and what may happen in the future. C'mon, Guts cut off his arm trying to save the woman he loved; love has a lot to do with the story of Berserk.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Re: Love and whatnot

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:As we all know Berserk is a masterful example of the art of manga and just writing in general. As with any story out there a central relationship must be put in place. I'm starting this thread to get people to yack about all the love and whatnot that's happened, is on going, and what may happen in the future. C'mon, Guts cut off his arm trying to save the woman he loved; love has a lot to do with the story of Berserk.

Griffith and that LandLord guy was a beautiful love story full of passion and tragedy.......

Seiously....Don't know about love, but Griffith definitely had deep feelings for Guts. Was at one time, so at a loss of being rejected when Guts left, basically sabotaged (at least what he thought at the time) his dream by throwing it all a way by banging the Princess in a not so discreet manor. Also when Griffith was always saying how nothing would stand in the way of his dream, he contradicted these statements when he risked himself to save Guts in the first Zodd encounter, and told him after that he'd lay his life on the line for Guts.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Well we do know that Guts stopped his quest to destroy apostles and whatnot to go to Elfhelm to try to get Caska's sanity restored. It's also implied if not obvious in chapter 290 that this love and camaraderie with the rest of the people traveling with him keeps Guts' dog at bay.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

The stuff under the whatnot category is what I usually find more interesting in Berserk. Sex is easy, but the other kinds of relationships are much harder. They're the ones that last. Guts had a good thing going with The Hawks before they were all killed. After that he was scared anyone he would ally himself with would meet the same fate. Puck was the first to become Gut's companion, but he wasn't human so Guts didn't have to worry. Then he found Caska, but she soon ran away. The first one he could really trust and not worry about after the Eclipse who was human was Ishidro, and I'm a little disappointed that Ishidro's character hasn't been more developed. He's like a kid brother figure to Guts, and someone like that can mean a lot.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

We can't really predict what will happen to Ishidro, but I personally would like to see his character develop into a adoptive son of Guts where Guts tries to be the father figure that Gambino wasn't. While Guts didn't really have a choice but mercenary life, at least Ishidro knowingly chooses that life and Guts chooses to take it upon himself to protect him.

The overall group dynamic feel is very much like a family, or very close friends than the original BotH ever was. In this way I believe that it seals the deal for Guts staying through to the end, and taking the SK route of self-sacrifice to save them. I could be mistaken though. :)

I have no doubt that Miura will try to point this out later in the story and 'tempt' Guts to leave again, at least this time to protect them rather than to pursue his own agenda even though the beast inside him warned Guts of the inevitability of pursuing the white hawk.
ZiMaze
imanewbie

Post by ZiMaze »

I really should show this thread to those who think of Berserk the wrong way. I met some really bad comments on the manga, saying that it's all about killing, while they never read through the whole manga at all. The first time I saw the anime, my boyfriend showed it to me (yeah, I'm a girl:P) and I admit, that when everyone was dying in the end, especially Judeau, since he was my fav from the start in the anime, I cryed. After that I started to read the manga, and I felt so much emotion come from it. I wouldnt have been able to like Berserk if it was just about killing, no theres much more to it, love in many ways, hatered, and all the emotions between the two.
psi29a wrote:The overall group dynamic feel is very much like a family,
Heh, that reminds me of the part when Casca finds that little kid. (sorry cant remember the vol and chapter number) I was like, woah, like a real caring family. That was a really nice moment.
[img]http://angels_den.extra.hu/sign.jpg[/img]
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Bump-aka

Post by The Prince »

*This was posted in response to a discussion from the newbie thread. Figured this response and the accounts given were fashioned more in line with this thread.

---- Guts' consumate compassion and loyalty towards Caska, despite her current condition and indifference to Guts is "above & beyond" IMO. With little hope of ever returning to the "Caska" Guts fell in love with, a lesser man would have kicked her to the side of the road long before.....

---- Caska's character after the eclipse has been nothing but dead-weight, and despite all the sacrifices made, and all the pain (physically/mentally) Guts has (continues) sustained on Caska's behalf, such deeds are met with indifference (and even hatred) by the one person he cares most for. In that sense, one could say that Guts has shown his love for Caska to be unconditional in nature. Almost anyone would attest that "unconditional love" represents love in its "purest form". But outside of a mother and her child, such is rarity among humans. Ironically it is this "unconditional love" that has been the instrumental driving force for Guts journey ever since he left Godo's with Caska.

---- As with their current journey, reaching their destination (Fairy-Land) is predicated toward restoring Caska's mind. All the while, Guts is willing suppress his inner-rage and put his vengeance upon Griffith on hold for Caska's sake.

*This scene better than any I can recall, portrays the extent of Guts' dedication and self-sacrifice in the name of his love for Caska. One could conclude from this scene that he cares more for Caska than himself. And in this point of the story, Guts is more concerned about fighting to protect Caska, fighting for his own life knowing that the life of another depends on it, than carrying out his revenge on Griffith.
ImageImageImage

Rolos wrote:I wouldnt say that Gutts love is confined to Caska and pre-eclipse Griffith, I mean, take a look at his relation with the newly formed Black Swordman band.
Of course, its not as strong as what he felt for Caska or pre-eclipse Griffith, but its still pretty strong. He looks after Shierke in an almost fatherly way, and the same goes for Isidro (this one its more like....pity). Farneze and Serpico......I am not sure about how to call what he seems to feel for those two.

Gutts may not fight for pure love, but he does fight for people. He fights for Caska, the original band of the hawk and now for "his" band. The fact that he hasnt given up his humanity to become a demon-like-hate-spawned creature proves that he cares for people.

I think that what really defines Gutts, more than just his drive to achieve vengeance, is how intense he is. Whatever he feels, its way more intense than whatever others may feel. That makes him unique, just like Griffith was. But, IMHO, the great diference is that what he do and feel makes him different, not what he wants to accomplish.

All the previous talking of this post is rather pointless and can be sumarized in:

Griffth = Cold-hearted bastard
Gutts = Hot-headed warrior that couldnt possibly be more *insert synonym of bad ass of your choice*

May the next release be composed of 203 pages of pure A grade berserk !!!

Lets pray for that.... :stupid:
Excellent Post! Summed things up perfectly.

May you live long and prosper.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Usually not a good idea to necro a VERY old thread - especially for your first post, and even more so when you don't really have anything to add to the thread.