Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

DarkOblivion
imanewbie

Re: Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Post by DarkOblivion »

This is probably gonna sound stupid, but I was rewatching the anime and came to the part where they rescue Griffith. When they remove his helmet, they seem to be in absolute shock. From the gaps in his helmet, we see the areas around his his eyes and his mouth are, for the most part, relatively untouched, so what could he possibly have had done? Had his nose chopped off or something?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Basically, he'd had most of the skin of his face removed, as well as his tongue. The anime wasn't able to portray something quite that gruesome, so you're just left with people's reactions.
Boxy
imanewbie

Post by Boxy »

Has anyone thought about what Rakshas is really doing with the Neo-Hawks. I was reading his bio online and they seem to think he might either be working for the Skull Knight or is him in disguise. This never came to my attention before and I am not sure I believe it but they do have a point, what do you guys think? I also noticed if you look at his face upside down he has those spikes that the Skull knight has, and he has expressed his desire to take Griffith's head when he joined. At the same time this doesn't really add up because if Rakshas is really SK then why did SK appear from the void when Rakshas was already on top of Ganishka under Zodds wing. Any thoughts?

http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Rakshas
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Personally, I highly doubt that Rakshas and SK are the same person. That theory sounds purely speculatory to me. You never know I suppose. SK has always seemed more interested in killing Void than Griffith, not that I doubt his desire to kill all of the God Hand though, just saying. Besides, how could he fit that massive skeletal frame of his under those robes and go all woogity woogity with his body like that. :P
Boxy
imanewbie

Post by Boxy »

Yea I agree with you. I know that SK attacked Void first out of all the Godhand when he broke into the Eclipse, but is there any other scenes that support that he has a grudge against Void?
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

if i recall correctly its been said that a kingdom went down like 1000 years ago (long time ago anyways), and the king of that kingdom has similarities with SK, its also strongly hinted that someone became a godhand by that time, and that one is hinted to be void. (ive read berserk 3 times, but there are probably someone here who can give u an even more accurate summary)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

No proof yet, but the general theory is that SK has the same relationship (more or less) with Void as Guts has with Griffith. Based on some comments of Zodds, it seems pretty clear that SK was branded, and it seems likely based on the way he acts that Void is the one who branded him.
Boxy
imanewbie

Post by Boxy »

I guess the big question now is, how did SK get an immortal body? And will Guts do the same thing or will he choose to be human.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Boxy wrote:I guess the big question now is, how did SK get an immortal body? And will Guts do the same thing or will he choose to be human.
This isn't the complete answer for how SK became what he is (a lot is still unknown) but I personally speculate that people who have the brand can't die of old age. Basically the theory goes that the brand marks the bearer as a sacrifice, their suffering and death dedicated Idea and/or the one who sacrificed them. Thus it is impossible for them to die in any peaceful way, and possibly it makes them slightly tougher than normal humans, so that they can suffer more (this second part has been strongly hinted at by things a number of characters, and most recently Schierke, have said over the course of the series) before dying. There's no proof/evidence in the story that the brand keeps the bearer from aging, but it makes sense to me based on what we have learned, and would certainly explain how SK has been around so long.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

SK gives the same aura as the apostles. that doesnt have to mean he is one though. although he is something more than a human. and dont forget his horse, and since a horse highly unlikely can become an apostle its likely that they are something else than apostles. could be that they were altered by magic, or used as sacrifices, escaped and then altered by magic (since he has known that old mage since back in the days, dont remember her name though)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

TheParagon wrote:SK gives the same aura as the apostles. that doesnt have to mean he is one though. although he is something more than a human. and dont forget his horse, and since a horse highly unlikely can become an apostle its likely that they are something else than apostles. could be that they were altered by magic, or used as sacrifices, escaped and then altered by magic (since he has known that old mage since back in the days, dont remember her name though)
I think you're referring to the witch Flora.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

yes i am, thank you :)
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

just before SK enters the eclipse-tornado, when he fights with zodd, he refers to void: "Void would say that this too lies withing causalitie's current"
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Oi!
You just double-posted!
You can't do that, not without calling it. You have to, in some way, acknowledge the fact that you just did it. You have to say "I'm sorry" or "I did it and I don't care! Screw you guys!" or even "Double-post FTW". It's just one of those things.
You know, like murder. Would you like it if some guy went and stabbed your spleen repeatedly and then went on talking as if nothing had happened? No, you wouldn't. But if he said "oops, sorry!" you'd be totally ok with it.
You have to call it, otherwise it's impolite and inappropriate.

Completely unrelated: I'm probably experiencing some new form of premature senile dementia, because I can't seem to recall a single instance in which Skull Knight even talks about his relation to Void.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

im a bit behind, so i just ordered and got berserk 11-15 (well ive read it to the latest ch like 3-4 times, but i want to own all as well), and when i found that he spoke of void i just had to write it here since we talked about their relationship. the double post was an accident. actually i had taken for granted that someone would have posted in between, but apparently not
Boxy
imanewbie

Post by Boxy »

I hope this helps but I don't know how accurate skullnight.com is. Their time line says that Void becomes the first Godhand about 140 years after Midland was founded. If that is true than SK being branded by Void seems like a stretch. Because Gaiseric would have had to be human and be over 100 years old. Again I don't know how accurate this is or where they got these dates.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Boxy wrote:I hope this helps but I don't know how accurate skullnight.com is. Their time line says that Void becomes the first Godhand about 140 years after Midland was founded. If that is true than SK being branded by Void seems like a stretch. Because Gaiseric would have had to be human and be over 100 years old. Again I don't know how accurate this is or where they got these dates.
I think it's speculation based on how often the eclipse is supposed to happen (every 216 years, I think; I may be slightly off on this) and how old Midland is (about 1,000 years old), but speculation is all that it is at the moment. Miura hasn't truly confirmed that Midland is exactly 1,000 years old, or that a God's Hand is born every eclipse, or that no God's Hand has ever died, or any number of other factors that could make that data inacurate. We'll just have to wait and see.
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

I would take what fansites say with a pinch of salt. They still use the non-canon Idea of Evil in their discussions.

Void is speculated to be the imprisoned wizard, spoken of in a story by Mozgus, who brought down Gaiseric's reign.

It's gonna take a few more volumes to reveal the Skull Knight & Void dynamic, but it is implied in Volume 13 that they have a history.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

thepeaguy wrote:I would take what fansites say with a pinch of salt. They still use the non-canon Idea of Evil in their discussions.
To be fair to ol' Idea-ey:
DrPepperPro wrote:-The lost chapter is "God of the Abyss 2", and chapter 82 right before it being "God of the Abyss" is still in v13. It has Griffith sinking downward and thinking about all the people he sacrificed. He sinks into a vortex and sees a dark shape of the IoE and thinks "God...?".

-v24 when Flora is explaining stuff to Guts, she says in regard to the God Hand: "...they are the executors of the will of something lurking in the distant abyss of the astal world."

So while it may not exist as explained in c83, there are hints of some god-like thing in the vortex/abyss.
And also the Miura interview where he said c83 was removed because it revealed things too much, removing a lot of the mystery for the reader's imagination.

I'd rank the plausibility of speculations where the existence/nature of IoE effects the speculation as follows:
1. Speculation based on a general Idea of Evil type thing.
2. Speculation that doesn't rely or take into account Idea of Evil.
3. Speculation based on dialogue in c83.
Sura
imanewbie

Post by Sura »

Anyone have any links to Berserk episode 28-35, I live in Korean and I can't get a copy.... and I have been in a coma.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

You can probably read them online: http://www.mangareader.net/96/berserk.html
Romdeau
imanewbie

Post by Romdeau »

DrPepper, why is Casca wearing glasses and constantly eating that bread?
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

This is indeed a newbie Berserk question, we get it often. Unfortunately, the answers involve some high level meta discussion and analysis that we can't get into in this thread.

Actually there are no answers.
Romdeau
imanewbie

Post by Romdeau »

Looks like I'll have to wander the Interstice and discover the answer for myself-wish me luck.
Trikucian
imanewbie

Post by Trikucian »

So, first time posting, I've got to ask, how many Berserk movies have come out? And why is Viz doing the voices if WarnerBros. is the distributing company in Japan? Why wouldn't they do the English voices? Makes no sense to me.
just reading manga, waiting for this class to be over