New anime confirmed!!

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

NoNickName
imanewbie

Re: New anime confirmed!!

Post by NoNickName »

incubus
imanewbie

Post by incubus »

CG.. meh
Horse mutilation... good sign

I'll remain cautious
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

Too many 3D animation in my opinion, but still amazing: specially those war scenes!!
revealer
imanewbie

Post by revealer »

Does it say anywhere about possible other movies besides these incoming three?
NoNickName
imanewbie

Post by NoNickName »

lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Does anyone know if the movie will be showing in areas outside of Japan?

I'm traveling to after it comes out and it would be amazing if I could see it in theaters, even if I don't understand Japanese... I'll know what happening line by line :D
greak
imanewbie

Post by greak »

twitter.com/greak
greak
imanewbie

Post by greak »

interviews \ behind the scenes with berserk so awesome :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo9HtK1 ... be&t=8m34s
twitter.com/greak
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

It's interesting that we don't see any cannons in the seige - only catapults. I wonder if they've decided to have the tech set a bit earlier for the movies than it was for the manga.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Thanks for the links guys!
Gloric
imanewbie

Post by Gloric »

Istvan wrote:
It's interesting that we don't see any cannons in the seige - only catapults. I wonder if they've decided to have the tech set a bit earlier for the movies than it was for the manga.
All the manga had in it was a few soldiers scaling the wall and things on fire, no cannons or catapults. And if you just mean logically considering the timeline, the way I see it is the siege was meant to have been going for 3 months, I am going to guess resources were running thin, thus they were using mercenaries to break the line, ie. Guts turns up for some cash.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Gloric wrote:
Istvan wrote:
All the manga had in it was a few soldiers scaling the wall and things on fire, no cannons or catapults. And if you just mean logically considering the timeline, the way I see it is the siege was meant to have been going for 3 months, I am going to guess resources were running thin, thus they were using mercenaries to break the line, ie. Guts turns up for some cash.
We don't see cannons specifically for that seige (by the time we come in, the wall/gate is already breached), but we do see them numerous times throughout the series. And the cannons we see seem sophisticated enough that they don't seem to be a brand new invention, either - although true field artillery isn't around yet. That being the case, it seems odd to me that any seige would be using catapults, and especially when the seige in question has lasted 3 months, so there should have been plenty of time to bring in cannons.
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

The entire siege is not shown in the manga except fot Guts's fight, nothing to worry about IMO =p
NoNickName
imanewbie

Post by NoNickName »

somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

But thing about cannons is they need powder and specially produced shot so that it travels properly down the barrel. On the other hand trebuchets can hurl any roughly proper sized boulder. If the siege had been going on for three months they may have used up their reserve of powder and shot and have had their engineers build trebuchets from near by lumber, another benefit of the trebuchet.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Found this little gem while trolling for new footage:

http://youtu.be/BTAiUjCIZRI
greak
imanewbie

Post by greak »

twitter.com/greak
Satinn
imanewbie

Post by Satinn »

Damn they took it down before I got to see it :(
lon3vvolf wrote:Found this little gem while trolling for new footage:

http://youtu.be/BTAiUjCIZRI
ROFL I wonder if he ate the egg with its shell or if it was a hard boiled egg
I wonder if puck (the fairy) and the skeleton horsemen will be in the movies. I cant wait until they make a version that we can watch online with subtitles. From the review though it looks like it might be a bit disappointing because I expected them to use this second opportunity to re-animate the outdated series and use it to make the new movies 100% like the manga. It seems like a wasted effort if they are going to leave characters out agian and alter the story to be different from the manga.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Honestly after seeing the preview my already low expectations have dropped even more. Just doesn't feel like Berserk... I mean I realize fully I could be jumping the gun and am probably being overly judgmental, but you guys probably know where I'm coming from. I'll still watch it the second it hits the 'net, but I'll do so expecting to be disappointed.

As for subtitles, I have a feeling it will be subtitled fairly quickly, actually. I forget, does EG have any plans to do subtitles for the movies?
Gloric
imanewbie

Post by Gloric »

I see post after post (not just here, everywhere) prattling on about it "feeling like berserk". I seriously have to ask what people actually mean by "feeling like berserk".
The manga? it'll never feel like the manga because there is always a degree of imagination that goes along with the format, just as their is with novels, except you have a visual aid. On top of that if you have any sort of expansive imagination, it will NEVER live up to your 'expectations' in that regard.
On that note, I personally enjoy seeing different renditions of a story, just as I enjoy seeing fan/alternate artwork of various anime/manga/sci-fi/otherwise that floats around the web.
If by feeling like berserk, people mean the anime, then I dunno what can please them, they're purposefully limiting their scope of berserk animation to that of a 2 decade old production. It would be the same as complaining about today's anime not looking/feeling ike Ranma 1/2, there may be points to be brought up,m but overall it's pointless and is a very minor thing to hold you back from enjoying something for what it is.
From what i've seen, this will be a nice rendition of the story; we get a slight taste of the action, with Guts fighting Fatty and I personally get an awesome feel from that one scene where he annihilates that lancer off his horse and goes flying through the air.

People also need to remember that this first part of the story is more of a "watch his progress, his story and how he becomes the berserker" as such.
Also still a lot of people still fretting over whether this story will continue the manga, if it doesn't I will fly to Japan and kick Miura in the face and burn his idolmaster collection, but from everything that's beenreleased on these movies, they're going to try to push ther entire story into a set of either OVAs or Movies, so prepare to be Skullknighted.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

What I mean by "feeling like Berserk" is simple, really. After seeing the 10 minute clip I've seen the following:

-Guts acts like a cocky and overconfident child. The battle with Bazuo alone has made me lose faith in the new adaption more than anything else. If Guts acts like he does in the beginning of this movie the entire time, it's going to be really awful.
-The battles are on a very large scale featuring siege weapons never seen in Midland and very unlike the bare-bones mercenary battles Berserk is meant to portray.
-The music is generic orchestral stuff featuring no emotion or soul unlike the incredible Hirasawa score we were treated to in the anime. This is going to make the movies lack personality and feel bland.
-Most glaringly, the CGI looks terrible and is just an eye-sore period. This is such a drag because the quality of the artwork in Berserk is top notch, so going to the other end of the spectrum so jarringly is bothersome.
The manga? it'll never feel like the manga
It can easily feel like the manga. The original anime very much felt like the manga Band of the Hawk-wise.
Gloric
imanewbie

Post by Gloric »

brunoafh wrote:-Guts acts like a cocky and overconfident child. The battle with Bazuo alone has made me lose faith in the new adaption more than anything else. If Guts acts like he does in the beginning of this movie the entire time, it's going to be really awful.
Did you actually watch the original series or read the manga? the entire point of this first scene is to "put Guts in his place", he was cocky, overconfident in his abilities and when faced with someone superior at the time, Griffith, and defeated; his childish arrogance got a hold of him and he got owned and thus became Griffith's posession. This was the entire point of this first couple of chapters/sequence in the anime and always was.
-The battles are on a very large scale featuring siege weapons never seen in Midland and very unlike the bare-bones mercenary battles Berserk is meant to portray.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I so far have not seen anything outside an acceptable variation in what is the Berserk lore.
-The music is generic orchestral stuff featuring no emotion or soul unlike the incredible Hirasawa score we were treated to in the anime. This is going to make the movies lack personality and feel bland.
Opinion, but I will admit that I will miss Hirasawa's touch, it truly brought the original series to life. that said an orchestral theme won't be misplaced, Berserk is an epic, and as much as Hirasawa is unique, his stuff is very much akin to that genre.
-Most glaringly, the CGI looks terrible and is just an eye-sore period. This is such a drag because the quality of the artwork in Berserk is top notch, so going to the other end of the spectrum so jarringly is bothersome.
The utter detail that the Berserk manga artwork is known for just isn't a very plausible thing for animation to begin with, having it rendered in a 3D engine isn't the worst thing that could happen. In my opinion, having the artwork on the level of the original series would be one side of the worst case scenario and there only being enough budget for 1 movie being the other end of the worst case scenario.
On and that note; I don't see how it's that big of a deal as long as the key elements/characters are rendered properly. I don't care if generic soon-to-be-dead arristocratic knight of pompus royalty is rendered badly in the background, or if a bunch of soon to be corpses are the same.
That said, it should be completely fine when it comes to the latter Berserk volumes, where Guts is only really fighting a few or 1 big enemy at a time.
It can easily feel like the manga. The original anime very much felt like the manga Band of the Hawk-wise.
The old anime felt in line with the manga because the manga itself was a work-in-progress and far from the level of detail Miura would've wanted. It had it's charm, no doubt at all, and I would still watch it again, right now, and enjoy it. And I disagree, it can't easily feel the same as the manga, because as I said about budget and also, lest we forget as I just said; the manga is progressive, it would be hard to keep alive the old feel while progressing into the current storyline. Trying to replicate something akin to Stars wars ep 4-6 then ep 1-3 would both be impossible and probably anti-progress, is all i'm trying to say.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Gloric wrote:Did you actually watch the original series or read the manga? the entire point of this first scene is to "put Guts in his place", he was cocky, overconfident in his abilities and when faced with someone superior at the time, Griffith, and defeated; his childish arrogance got a hold of him and he got owned and thus became Griffith's posession. This was the entire point of this first couple of chapters/sequence in the anime and always was.
I agree with your point overall, but it's overkill in the clip we saw though. Guts strolls up to Bazuso with a shit eating grin twirling his sword around like a cane. The cheese factor was so high I was waiting for him to start chewing on bubble gum and put a baseball cap on.
I so far have not seen anything outside an acceptable variation in what is the Berserk lore.
You haven't? I don't recall siege weaponry and assault towers being part of Berserk lore. They're trying to make the battles more "LOTR-ish" so to speak, to make it more like a medieval action flick. We'll have to wait and see how drawn out they're going to make the battle sequences so I can't pass too much judgement on this just yet, but I'm thinking they're going to really draw out the grunt vs grunt stuff to fill up runtime, while in the manga most of the battle sequences are focused on main characters and take brief glimpses upon the scale of the battle, which usually isn't all that large. In fact, the scale of the battle in the clip in particular was meant to be a low scale and somewhat insignificant battle.
The utter detail that the Berserk manga artwork is known for just isn't a very plausible thing for animation to begin with
That doesn't change the fact that it looks like shit. I realize expecting an animated adaption of Berserk to match the level of quality of the manga artwork-wise is unrealistic, but that doesn't mean I should be okay with what I'm getting to look awful.
That said, it should be completely fine when it comes to the latter Berserk volumes, where Guts is only really fighting a few or 1 big enemy at a time.
This is true.
The old anime felt in line with the manga because the manga itself was a work-in-progress and far from the level of detail Miura would've wanted. It had it's charm, no doubt at all, and I would still watch it again, right now, and enjoy it. And I disagree, it can't easily feel the same as the manga, because as I said about budget and also, lest we forget as I just said; the manga is progressive, it would be hard to keep alive the old feel while progressing into the current storyline. Trying to replicate something akin to Stars wars ep 4-6 then ep 1-3 would both be impossible and probably anti-progress, is all i'm trying to say.
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here. When the anime was made the manga had finished the Band of the Hawk stuff was into the post-Eclipse segment. Yes it was still a WIP but everything it encompassed was already set in stone. I agree that overall no anime or OVA is ever going to match the manga step by step, but the original anime did an admirable job. I suppose my main gripe with what I've seen so far is that they're making a "modernized" Berserk, it just doesn't sit well with me. Again, I know I'm jumping the gun a bit and being overly judgmental here, but I'm very picky when it comes to manga adaptations.
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

Stop whining at least till you've seen the movie... Please, don't spoil this for people who are actually still excited for the movies.

Make a topic called "everything thats wrong about Berserk movies" and go there to make your point, that way I can ignore it.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Don't be so uptight, I'm just voicing my opinion and playing devil's advocate a bit. I don't think reading differing opinions is going to "spoil" anything for you. I'm excited to see what the movies are going to have in store like the lot of you, who knows, perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm just apprehensive, and perhaps too picky for my own good.