What genre is Berserk catagorized?

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Ghostviper04
imanewbie

What genre is Berserk catagorized?

Post by Ghostviper04 »

After reading Berserk, I've gotten kind of lost as to what genre this manga actually is. Is it Action? Horror? Or would you put it in a "Action Horror" category?

Oh, and if Berserk is put in the Horror Manga category... I noticed a trend in the Horror genre where everything gets really creepy and dark until the climax where everything suddenly ends on a happy note. Would this reflect on what to expect from Muira?

Edited: Made the title a complete sentance, short subjects mean nothing and don't convey what the thread is about. Thanks. -- psi29a
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I like to call Berserk "Dark Fantasy." I think it's pretty fitting.
I'm not completely sure, but I think Dark Horse calls it like this.
Southpaw
PIEZOR!

Post by Southpaw »

Somehow I find it odd to see the words happy and ending used in conjunction with berserk. I.E. if it ever ends don't expect it to be happy ghost.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Actually, it could have a happy ending, just b/c it would be so unexpected. That's what I'm hoping for, but chances are it'll have a realistic ending. Something like, Gatts finally reaches his goal and then dies. Meanwhile Idea still exists, and the world is unchanged, but at least the other surviving characters get to live on in semi-peace. Yet, I'm actually thinking it's going to have a happy ending, just b/c it's so unexpected.

As for the genre of Berserk, I just checked Dark Horse's site, and they have it listed as Action/Adventure. However, I'd probably categorize it as Fantasy Horror. Anyway, this thread isn't bad, but here's a tip for future thread creations. First of all, if anyone has a random Berserk question that you just want answered, feel free to PM me and I'll take care of it for you. If you want to actually provoke conversation, then try to pick a topic that'll have better duration. I doubt this one will stay on topic for, oh, I'll say no longer than four pages. Heh, we'll see...
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Genre? Who cares?! It's bloody awesome! It's got a blend of everything, humour, drama, horror, action, etc. I honestly can't put this in the horror category though. It's not trying to scare the reader.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
|||||||
Mastered PM

Post by ||||||| »

I'd call it an epic. And as for the blood and gore included is not for striving for horror or such, it is to make the world realistic. Many good stories are constricted by social standards but miura doesn't care. If there is a demon feast people will die a bloody way, if demons rape women, he will show it. It's only a opinion of course but many other stories put you in a fictional world you can't really believe it's real.
Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Well I would in no way call Berserk a horror. If anything it's an epic fantasy. Yeah it does have action, adventure, comedy...but so does The Sword of Truth seires and the Wheel of Time series and they're still labled as fantasies. Both of the aforementioned also have "horrific" moments but they not labeled as that. Berserk would be labeled as Fantasy. Yes the monsters and story formulation share some similarities with the master of horror, H.P. Lovecraft, but at its core it's just a good fantasy with other elements thrown in to keep the reader on their toes.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I don't think epic qualifies as a genre.

And I don't think Berserk is horror either. It changes a lot, so it's hard to tell. At first it was just a medieval story, after the Eclipse it was filled with demons and just a while ago it was full of LOTR type magic and sorcery. Who knows what direction Berserk will go into next.
Gatzz
Mastered PM

Post by Gatzz »

In this case I would say: The Title of the Manga is the Genre
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Genre: Action/Adventure
Sub-Genre: Dark Fantasy
Type: Epic

Hope that helps.

note: no need to pick at the details, there is comic relief, drama, horror, and butt-sex. Thankfully, because it is an epic, these are compliments of the work but it doesn't take up a majority of it. It is Fantasy, and it is Dark, thus Dark Fantasy under the Action/Adventure of which DarkHorse has faithfully labeled it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

See, the fantasy comes first, as it takes priority. Then, you can't tell me this shit wouldn't horrify small children. :P

Besides, I don’t think Dark Fantasy is even an official genre…
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I think Action/Adventure's the correct classification for it anyway.

When is this thread going to be locked again?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Right about now.