Fallout New Vegas

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Fallout New Vegas

Post by Sandman »

Hell yeah just got my copy a couple of hours ago :twisted:

Back to the Wastes for more hellishness... war never changes :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Fallout New Vegas

Post by War Machine »

I'm gonna have to hold out on this game for a while, even if I do pay for it I don't think I have the time for it. How is it? Still an awesome game sprinkled with glitches?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

You got it... I think it is a little more obvious though... animals run away stop and wait to be killed... also I have found a scorpion that was stuck and dropped through the level :evil: ... still an awesome game though... like the new iron sights and stuff :twisted:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Pretty much the same here. I'm really looking forward to this game, but I recently bought "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow", so I won't be getting anything new until I'm done with that. Unless I happen to get it from Gamefly in the meantime, then I'll probably just end up using the "keep it" feature, heh.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Those kinds of glitches I don't mind, a lot of them are really funny like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKIkw3LIoQ

I hate the ones that freeze the game. Fallout 3 GOTY had way too many of those in the DLC areas, I was literally playing in 1 hour intervals cause the game was guaranteed to freeze in that time. Here's hoping Obsidian does a better job at patching the game than Bethesda did.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

LMAO @ the over-rotating head.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'm not ready to delve into Fallout again just yet and the glitches are part of the reason.

More importantly though, once I start playing that game then that's it, my life will have to be put on hold.

And I'm still trying to find the energy to care about FFXIII, which has been sitting in my PS3 tray for months now.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

The glitches are pretty darn hilarious. The one I'm experiencing a lot is that it's rainin radscorpions! I just hope that there won't be any gamebreaking things along the way!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Had to pick a lock with out the animation sequence that was pretty fun :evil:

Also don't know if I am liking the new skill check system it doesn't give you any chance of passing unless your skill is at a certain amount :evil: so you have to level up or find a magazine to read to get you there :shock:

High note is that I got some cool new weapons: Service Rifle, Cowboy Repeater, and .22 Silenced Pistol ( which is useless against anything other than a blowfly :evil: )
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Wait till you get a gauss rifle. You have to reload after one shot but with Caesar's Legion one shot turns them into a rag doll projectile haha
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I am going to run up and get that as soon as possible its going to rock :twisted:

need to get energy weapons skill up first I guess... got to see the legion and NCR battle it out... NCR won it was four on four but I still got to loot a couple of corpses for some pretty good shit.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

The end of the game was highly anticlimactic. It was like a buildup to a final battle that was a cakewalk and there was no tension or imperative to press on like in Fallout 3. It was quite disappointing but hey hopefully the other endings make things interesting.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

did you get to level 30 before the end??
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I ended up getting this game for $20 thanks to Amazon's Cyber Monday deal and some Amazon credit I had from a previous purchase, the cool thing about this though is that I ended up getting one of copies of the game from the very first batch they got (it had a sticker stating not to sell before the game's official release date) and it came with the pre-order bonus Amazon had (start the game with some armor, a machete and a few other goodies) which is pretty cool considering I got the game much later and for a reduced price.

So far the glitches have been tame, only one freeze while loading a save. Although the worst glitch I had was getting stuck on a hill unable to move away from it and two butterfly things that were much stronger than me (I was level 1) using the opportunity to flap air at me until they killed me. But Obsidian really did absolutely nothing to solve most of the glitches, I read that even one of the easy money glitches from Fallout 3 still works in New Vegas, which seems absurd to me. At the very least though, loading times are vastly improved, and that is a welcome fix considering I'm the kind of player that repeats scenarios until everything comes out the way he wants it to.

Gameplay is still fun and so far I'm liking every new addition to the game. Hardcore mode seems pretty manageable and cool, it's simple enough that I can ignore it most of the time but still feel like it adds something to the game by having to drink, eat and sleep. The only drawback is that using the Wait command is pretty dangerous since you can come out of the wait sequence dead.

Anyway, these are my initial impressions of the game.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Interesting.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Quite.
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Indeed.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Funniest glitch so far. Fast traveling to the Gun Runners and upon arrival fly straight up, high into the air, dying seconds later when I began to fall and hit the roof of the Gun Gunners shop.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

NOw that is a good one... falling through rocks sucks ass and it happens way to often :evil:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I've finished this game. I'm in the process of acquiring all the trophies and while I really like the game, the glitches are a goddamn nightmare. I'm actually playing very infrequently because after about 5 consecutive freezes I get mad and stop playing the game. Days or weeks later I come back and continue the game.

Pros:
- Weapon variety is awesome, lots of weapons to find and only so much time to use them.
- Quest amount and variety in ways to complete them is great as well.
- Hardcore mode gives a lot of substance to the game. Food and water matter now, and you have to choose which weapons to bring cause the ammo has weight as well.

Cons:
- Small map compared to Fallout 3.
- Game freezes quite regularly in certain areas or during certain events (i.e. every single quest toward the end of the game).
- Extensive use of invisible walls to prevent you from taking shortcuts.
- Essentially empty map locations (check the Mojave Drive-In for example, it's not connected to any quest, there's nothing unique to find there, and nothing interesting to see either).
- Special ammo is pretty unnecessary, I end up using special ammo only if I run out of the normal type. It's also quite a hassle to figure out what ammo type hurts who and then having to carry each type is a burden if you're playing on Hardcore mode. So I can live without special ammo.

Anyway, the pros really outweigh the cons (not in number, but I am being a little picky on my cons, and lazy in writing more pros), except for the freezing. It's borderline absurd how much trouble I have with freezing in this game. I turned off all automatic saving and it seemed to have helped a bit, at the very least it was taking less time to travel between locations. I made sure to save regularly anyway and it all seemed good until I got my last freeze. I haven't returned to the game yet to gauge if turning off automatic saving really helped or not, maybe later.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I beat it a couple weeks ago. I didn't do everything, but I did a lot. It's a good game. I'm playing Dead Space 2 now. As for New Vegas, is it just me or was it shorter than 3?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

If you stick to the main story line, yes it's shorter. There's only like 5 necessary missions total in New Vegas. Although I stayed away from the main story as much as possible and the length of the game felt longer in New Vegas when compared to 3, but then again I played 3 a long time ago. I'm not sure how long it took me to beat every mission the very first time.