New anime confirmed!!

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: New anime confirmed!!

Post by War Machine »

My japanese sucks, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand that message:

"Sorry for remaining silent for such a long time. There will be an important announcement on January 8th, 2011. Please look forward to it"
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

My birthday no less! Awesome.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

According to ANN, the February issue of Newtype will have some more details: we're looking at a theatrical movie in 2011 which is "the first part of a project that will adapt the entire story" of the manga. The wording there is a bit vague: does that mean that they're planning for further theatrical sequels, or is the movie intended to lead into a series of OVAs or another television series? Your guess is as good as mine.

Given its serial nature, Berserk seems to me to be kind of a bad fit for the theatrical movie format if they're intending a faithful adaptation of the manga storyline. Best-case scenario, it seems to me, would be a theatrical movie recapping the Golden Age arc (bringing new viewers up to speed while introducing elements that were missing from the original anime adaptation such as the Skull Knight) and then a series of OVAs telling the post-Eclipse story in greater detail.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Wow, a theatrical release? That's a surprise to me. It would stand to reason that the small clips that have been revealed were at least relevant, if not part of this theatrical release, so it'll probably be about the Golden Age arc.
Billabong
imanewbie

Post by Billabong »

Please be as awesome as Rebuild of Eva, please be as awesome as Rebuild of Eva.

A movie leading into an OVA series would be ideal i think, though I'm still skeptical about the CG...
greak
imanewbie

Post by greak »

this my 1st reply here, hopefully not the last. Hearing this news about new Berserk project is great. On the other hand, confirming the project is gonna be a movie is a bit disappointed. A movie will mean you'll enter a cinema __ in Japan__ spend nice 2 hrs there and that's it. another point is Guys who dont live in Japan will have to wait for the DVD\Blu-Ray release wich will be like 2012. An OVA means u'uu get to see it the next day of release. T_T
and about the other future projects ? does it depend on the revenue of the upcoming theatrical movie ? does it have to do very well to reach a decision to green light a 2nd ? or maybe as one of the guys said it will be followed by an OVS series or a full TV animated series.
How about a ps3\xbox360 video games like Berserk Musou LOL (Dynasty Warriors)
twitter.com/greak
greak
imanewbie

Post by greak »

sorry for the double post but the twitter account of the Berserk Project just tweeted the following:
BERSERK will be made into animated movie! This movie is a first part of BERSERK SAGA PROJECT.
The original work is a long serialized story which carries on for morethan twenty years.
The aim of the project is to make the movies faithfulto the original. The first movie of the series will appear within the year! 8)
twitter.com/greak
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I think this will be a series of movies, along the lines of something like "Rebuild of Eva" or "Gundam Unicorn", which are both severely awesome. So I actually have high hopes for these movies, especially since the announcement says they plan to cover the entire manga. Also, they'll be able to make the movies more graphic, than if they were on TV, which is also a great thing IMO, heh.
gatts1a
imanewbie

Post by gatts1a »

happy and disappointed at the same time, it means that we will have to wait long years to see the complete saga, but glad to know that 'll be in HD.Sometimes the release can be fast , but if it's like the evangelion's movies 1 year maybe more after the theater's release in bluray....
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

But if there's a lot of time between movies, it will also help with the problem of catching up with the manga too soon. If they do it right, they might even be able to truly cover the entire manga, from beginning to end; especially if Miura can give them an idea of how much is left in the manga, so they can plan it out.
gatts1a
imanewbie

Post by gatts1a »

I wonder if it's a film for each arc, which I find hard to comprehend unless 8 hours each lol, and Istvan you said that's will help if there's lot of time between each movies,I don't agree with that because we are overseas and for us we must wait one more year for the dvd or bluray support coming out, if they do a movies each years and the saga in 4 movies ( hard to believe, It seems they want the movies to be faithful to the manga) we'll have to wait 8 years to see them !!! I agree with you when you said they "might be " able to cover the entire manga but waiting 10 more years when we have already waited over 20 years for the manga having a end it hurt a little, it's not a complain but we 're not immortal and still less miura... I'm really happy they do a project like this one but how many time that we'll take I mean I'm reading the manga since 1993 ... have grown with gatts and now I'm getting old had a wife and a child and I think I'm not the only one , that why I said I'm a bit disappointed and affraid to think that i'll have to wait 10 more years to enjoy the end of the manga and of the new anime !!!
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

gatts1a wrote: if they do a movies each years and the saga in 4 movies ( hard to believe, It seems they want the movies to be faithful to the manga) we'll have to wait 8 years to see them !!!
its 5 years, not 8 (n+1=4+1=5)

anyways. i think its better that its movies than a tv serie. the main reason is that it allows for more blood and gore and more faithful to the manga, and the other reason is that it won't catch up as fast as a tv-serie would which would ruin the new anime project.

and hopefully the blueray/dvd is released 3-6 months after the cinematic release

i wonder how much they will cover in the first dvd. hopefully not the golden age at all. hopefully it covers everything up till the golden age or at least half way there, and hopefully its at Least 2 hours, hopefully 2.5 or more hours
kikiking
imanewbie

Post by kikiking »

My fellow posters and for those who are complaining,

This is better than getting nothing at least. So please take a chill pill :D.
gatts1a
imanewbie

Post by gatts1a »

TheParagon wrote:
gatts1a wrote: if they do a movies each years and the saga in 4 movies ( hard to believe, It seems they want the movies to be faithful to the manga) we'll have to wait 8 years to see them !!!
its 5 years, not 8 (n+1=4+1=5)

anyways. i think its better that its movies than a tv serie. the main reason is that it allows for more blood and gore and more faithful to the manga, and the other reason is that it won't catch up as fast as a tv-serie would which would ruin the new anime project.

and hopefully the blueray/dvd is released 3-6 months after the cinematic release

i wonder how much they will cover in the first dvd. hopefully not the golden age at all. hopefully it covers everything up till the golden age or at least half way there, and hopefully its at Least 2 hours, hopefully 2.5 or more hours
[1 movie per year x 4 ( if they do 4 movies )] + 4 (1 year for the bluray release between each release theaters if they take the same time as Evangelion )= 8 edit: 5 years you have right , if they do the BR or dvd release at the same time as the theater release

sorry but 3-6 month are the shedule for tv or oav, some movies have the same shedule but not all .

Movies or series TV are both great, bluray release for tv series are uncensored , it 's true the quality is not the same , but I think it's more easy to cover the manga in a faithful way with a serie or oav than a movies .

they may not be able to afford to not cover the golden age in a screenwriting speaking it would not be worth the shot because it 's an important part and foundation of the storyline and if they cover only half way of this part that not what we can call being faithfull to the manga ...

To kikiking I'm not complaining it's a fact peoples who they follow berserk after 20 years are a bit disappointed to know they 'll have to wait 6 or 8 more years to see the animated version of their favorite story , and I'm not the only one to think that way. We don't get nothing we have the manga , having a movie it's awesome but the manga is sufficient if they doesn't do a anime project.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

can't you just pretend to be happy that its 5 years instead of 8? :P

but this anime project must go on for at least 10-15 years, because there is no way the manga will be finnished sooner
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Seeing as how they want to be faithful to the source material, I hope that it starts off with the Black Swordsman arc. If not, I hope they at least include it somewhere down the road. If this series of movies gets promoted correctly, it would be many people's first venture into the Berserk universe and I believe that if they stay true to the source material they could really wow their audience. I believe first timers would be wowed anyway since this they wouldn't know the difference, but to people who have kept up with the comic for so long might get a little upset if they omit or change any of the material.

Miura recently stated that he's around 60-70% done with the story... meaning that he's probably got about 20 volumes left in him. This animation project could very well last for 15 years since Miura tends to take about that long to release 20 volumes. I, for one, seriously hope they take their time with these movies. I want Berserk to get the notoriety that it deserves.
greak
imanewbie

Post by greak »

Ppl here have excellent opinions on the upcoming saga. Im skeptical about it. For some reasons
1-how many vol. Does each movie covers?
2-release date?
3-will it cover all berserk? Meaning they will do movies and on the other hand the manga will be concluded. The the movies will go on to also conclude the saga
4-if it succeed a ps3/x360 game is a must lol
5-how many movies are they planing on?. This question depends on various factors such as the revenue.
twitter.com/greak
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I hope it starts off with the Black Swordsman arc too. Base case scenario would be the moving mirroring the flow of the manga as precisely as possible.

I also hope for a PS3/360 game haha. If not, I'm satisfied with the Dreamcast game and the PS2 game. I just finally got my hands on the PS2 game like 6 months ago, it's pretty awesome.
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

A new PS3 game would be f***ing awesome, Love the PS2 game, need more of that, I'd buy the Japanese import on day one for sure ^^

As much as I hope for a lot of manga content in the new Berserk movie I'm already ecstatic about the fact that there is going to be new moving Berserk content =p
I don't see how I could be let down, if the cinematics are of the same level of the cutscenes from the PS2 game it's already awesome.
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

At this point it seems to me like they're going to be using these movies as more of a marketing tool than a full-on adaptation of the manga. I may be wrong, but I've always thought Berserk had more of a cult following than mainstream exposure and I think this is an attempt to rectify that. I think they'll be overviews of the different arcs, hitting on every major detail and glossing over the finer points in an attempt to bring in a larger audience. If they wanted to do the full thing in animation they probably would have went episodic.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to some full-color Berserk in modern animation. It's gonna be awesome.
jfss
imanewbie

Post by jfss »

I'll be happy as long as it isn't in 3D.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Interesting indeed. The artwork looks nice.
jarlaxle_95
imanewbie

Post by jarlaxle_95 »

I just jizzed in my pants. Berserk in color gives me chills. Oh I'm such a fanboy :lol: