Fullmetal Alchemist

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Fullmetal Alchemist

Post by Starnum »

There's no thread for Fullmetal Alchemist!? Okay, that's not right, I'm taking care of this right now. Are you guys reading this manga lately? The new chapter was pretty crazy. This is another one of those shonen manga that is a step above the rest, IMO. If you're not reading it, you're missing out. I know there are some of you out there keeping up with this series. So what do you guys think of the new chapter? There's some pretty crazy stuff going down. I thought the end of the new chapter was pretty awesome.

[spoiler]Did everyone really die though!? Winry, Armstrong, everyone!? I just can't believe they're all gone. Surely something will happen so at least the important named characters will survive, I hope.[/spoiler]
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: Fullmetal Alchemist

Post by papasith »

interesting i wait excitedly to see where it goes,[spoiler]also to see there reaction to him seemingly to be in als body?[spoiler][/spoiler]

i was not thinking...edited to add in spoiler tags
Last edited by papasith on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

[spoiler]I thought it looked more like Ed, but I don't think it's meant to be either of them. Though, if it were Al's body, that would make sense. I thought it was just supposed to be a perfect body for him now that he assimilated with "god". [/spoiler]
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

[spoiler]Well since originally he had gotten the human form from Hohenheim, it's obvious he would revert to that human form when being "Resurrected" I believe he has a human complex personally.[/spoiler]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

That would explain why he kind of looks like Ed, who resembles his father, good call.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Fullmetal Alchemist 105... Epic.
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Epic indeed! Hohenheim is the man! This is all pretty awesome. I heard the manga is ending next month, and the anime will include the manga ending as well. Can't wait to see how it concludes.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wow, that was a great ending. Farewell Fullmetal Alchemist, we'll never forget you. ;)
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Just read the ending. Not sure why, hated all characters. Learned some new things, though.

1- Ambition is intrinsically evil, unless it's powered by fwenship and wove and nice fwuffy things.

2- Don't mess with the status quo, ever, or you'll be turned into an abomination of nature. Also, nothing you do will ever work as you planned because the universe literally hates you unless you're doing it for fwenship.

3- Dont. Ever. Swallow. A. God. Doing so constitutes a monstrous breach of etiquette, and a text-book example of bad table manners. If you only realize this after doing it, avoid just standing like a moron, showing off how much of a connoisseur you are of theological cuisine. Instead, you should either kill everyone around you, or flee.

Poor homunculus...he was the under-dog, the self-made man, the achiever! Too bad he did it all by himself. Had to die.
You cannot succeed without fwenship in shonenland, it's the law.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

*Cough*Hater*Cough*
Rolos wrote:3- Dont. Ever. Swallow. A. God. Doing so constitutes a monstrous breach of etiquette, and a text-book example of bad table manners. If you only realize this after doing it, avoid just standing like a moron, showing off how much of a connoisseur you are of theological cuisine. Instead, you should either kill everyone around you, or flee.
He was trying, he just failed.
Rolos wrote:You cannot succeed without fwenship in shonenland, it's the law.
Damn skippy, and that's why in a shonen universe you could never defeat me. ;)

I should point out though, that's it's not like some magical force called "friendship" saved anyone. It was all due to the strength of their will, which just so happened to be powered by the friendship in their hearts. So don't make it sound like some deus ex machina bullshit that makes no sense or whatever. They did it all with the power of their own strength. I thought it was a very touching ending, don't cheapen it just because your alien heart has no soul. :P

[spoiler]The reverse alkahestry circle helped a lot too. Besides, it's not like "father" wasn't trying to kill them, he just failed. If Hoenheim hadn't been there using all his power as well, then "father" would've succeeded. ;)[/spoiler]

At least FMA has a cohesive story which makes sense and doesn't have to result to plot-holes and nonsensical BS in order for the heroes to prevail. That's better than most shonen manga can claim.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Starnum wrote: At least FMA has a cohesive story which makes sense and doesn't have to result to plot-holes and nonsensical BS in order for the heroes to prevail. That's better than most shonen manga can claim.[/color]
Well, that much is true.

As for your repeated questioning of my humandom (that's the word we humans use, right?), I can only say that I am starting to have doubts about humandom myself. YOUR humandom, to be more specific. When was the last time you indulged in meaningless waste of bodily resources by chasing a spherical (or semi-spherical) object, as we humans do with alarming regularity? And what about the codes of our planetary defense system? Don't you know them, as we all do?
Prove it! Give them to me, so I can compare them with the ones I most definitely have!
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

LOL, yes humandom. Well I'll admit, I'm not much of one for sports. More of a gamer myself, and no, you most certainly can't have any of our widely known to be impregnable planetary defense codes. Oh, and don't lump me in with the Sapiens. It's also known around these parts that I am of the Elven race. XD

I don't really need to chase a ball around to have a rich and fulfilling life. All I need is good times with my friends! Believe me, I know what it means to form an unbreakable bond of friendship. When you grow up hard and alone like I did, you learn how to cherish friendship and forge those kind of bonds. I'm not like an orphan or anything, but I come from a single parent home, and my mom was kind of like the black sheep of the family. My step-dad was crazy, and things were pretty dysfunctional, and of course I'm a total nerd so that didn't help me much. The close friends I have made are like family to me though, so I believe in the power of friendship, and know what it's like to form a real brotherhood. Okay, I'll stop before I make you sick. That's just the kind of guy I am though, so in my own way I can relate to these kind of characters. Some people might think that kind of stuff is corny, but I eat it up. The way I see it, in this world which we all know can be cold and harsh...is it really so bad to believe in something?

Don't get me wrong though. In the end nothing beats a really good, dark and gritty tragedy. The nature of my duality knows no bounds!
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

I don't recall ed gathering the power of everyone in the immediate vacintity to take down the bad guy. Also, your damn straight wynnry and Ed got it on, why wouldn't they? Oh and Starnum your childhood dangerously resembles my own, scary.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey Fujin-kun, welcome back. Glad to see you posting again. :)
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Yeah it's been awhile lol
Boxy
imanewbie

Post by Boxy »

Just finished reading FMA myself. It was a great ride but the ending kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

[spoiler]I mean really. The only thing Ed needed to do to get Alphonse back was to trade his gate for his brother. Come on. And if that's the case why do they talk about how Ed is gonna learn alchemy in the west and Alphonse will learn from the east. I though Ed could not use alchemy anymore because of that. Sigh[/spoiler]

edit: corrected my run-on sentence. :D
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well regardless of how difficult or not it may have been for Ed to make his sacrifice to get Al's body back, it was probably more about the fact that he didn't realize he could do that until the end. Considering they're both alchemical geniuses though, and it was such a big part of their lives, it was a big sacrifice none-the-less. As for Ed studying in the west, well it's not like you can't still research and learn about it, even if you can't actually perform the act. *shrugs*

I thought the ending was really good. I especially liked the scene between "God" and The homunculus.
Boxy
imanewbie

Post by Boxy »

Starnum wrote:I thought the ending was really good. I especially liked the scene between "God" and The homunculus.
Yea that was a good scene. I wish they would have explained "God" more.

I really like how the humunculi were portrayed. Even though they weren't human they sort of exhibited characteristics of having a soul. Like Pride's love for his mother, and Envy's envy towards humans. Overall it was good. Just kinda rushed at the end, the whole final battle just kinda blurred together for me.