Waiting on Miura is a bitch

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Re: Waiting on Miura is a bitch

Post by Rolos »

Istvan wrote:Probably just a matter of how the translator decided to translate it; since Japanese doesn't technically have any swear words, when to put them in for a translation can be fairly subjective.

Or so I understand; I don't actually know Japanese. :D
WHAT!?
I can't believe I didn't know that. Is it even possible for a language to have no swear words?
That's just so...wrong. I mean okay, very few languages have insults as delightfully versatile as "fuck" (in my opinion one of the greatest contributions of the English language to the world, second only to the the great and only "unbeknownst"), but most of them have something like it: the spanish(ard?) "Joder", the chilean "weon", the french "conasse", etc...
Words that can be used as verb, adjective and noun. Words to insult, express frustration, add emphasis, turn on a certain kind of person. Words that fucking fuck fuckers for fuck's sake! (Fuck!)
I know Japanese society is famous for its rigidity and strict observance of formalities, but this is too much.
I am disappointed and hurt.

P.S. Unbeknownst to me, japanese had- he he...unbeknownst. unbeknownst. Goddamit, I love that word. unbeknooownst. It just rules, phonetically and etymologically. unbeknownnnnnst
P.S.S This demands research!

Edit: Research has been done! Once again google has saved me effort, time and money....

I'm starting to hate it.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Cool research.

I find this sums it up:
In his book 'The Dragons of Eden', Carl Sagan tells the story of a chimp that had been taught sign-language, signing to a human, in a moment of annoyance, "You green shit". Swearing -- or at least the mechanism by which it arises -- seems to be older than ourselves. I'm sure every language has its swear words.
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

Miura is a faggot
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I have the distinct impression I have seen something like this before...I believe the name is "Flame bait", isn't it?
I do not know why, but I like it, it has a certain "trollness", an air of openly pointless hostility that I find quite amusing.
Taking into account the not-so-unimportant fact that I have to kill some time before resuming my studies, I think I'll join you in your inane exercise of base imbecility.

Good sir, you have found yourself a partner!

Ahem.

You sad, sad motherfucker. Is there nothing else you can do with your time? Is your leisure time, your resting space, so unbelievably worthless, so pathetically barren, you can't think of anything better to do with it than insult an author in a board he probably doesn't even know exists, much less read? Are you so dim, asinine, imbecilic, stupid, brainless, half-witted, moronic, idiotic, simpleminded, slow, obtuse, dumb or otherwise mentally challenged, that you cannot comprehend the concept of patience? Are you, and I think this is the real question, fucking retarded?
That was all rhetorical. You're all those things, and also a serial rapist. While I have no basis to support that claim, nor any kind of proof that could have led me to such a conclusion, we both know it's true.

Also, you're a fag.

P.S. Insulting people is fun! if there is such a thing as an insult-free language, I weep for those who speak it.
~Diogenes of Sinope
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Rolos wrote:I have the distinct impression I have seen something like this before...I believe the name is "Flame bait", isn't it?
I do not know why, but I like it, it has a certain "trollness", an air of openly pointless hostility that I find quite amusing.
Taking into account the not-so-unimportant fact that I have to kill some time before resuming my studies, I think I'll join you in your inane exercise of base imbecility.

Ahem.

You sad, sad motherfucker. Is there nothing else you can do with your time? Is your leisure time, your resting space, so unbelievably worthless, so pathetically barren, you can't think of anything better to do with it than insult an author in a board he probably doesn't even know exists, much less read? Are you so dim, asinine, imbecilic, stupid, brainless, half-witted, moronic, idiotic, simpleminded, slow, obtuse, dumb or otherwise mentally challenged, that you cannot comprehend the concept of patience? Are you, and I think this is the real question, fucking retarded?
That was all rhetorical. You're all those things, and also a serial rapist. While I have no basis to support that claim, nor any kind of proof that could have led me to such a conclusion, we both know it's true.

Also, you're a fag.

P.S. Insulting people is fun! if there is such a thing as an insult-free language, I weep for those who speak it.
You sound like an alien being amused by human interaction.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

War Machine wrote:
Rolos wrote:I have the distinct impression I have seen something like this before...I believe the name is "Flame bait", isn't it?

Ahem.

Also, you're a fag.

You sound like an alien being amused by human interaction.
Shhhhh!!! Don't let him know you're on to him!!

Seriously, those aliens can be scary if they think someone has broken their cover.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

The Rolos abides.
Superboi
notanewb

Post by Superboi »

It's been 3 months since the last Berserk chapter was released. I hate it when Miura does this. It makes me feel more worried for his health and well being instead of wondering when the hell the next chapter is going to come out. I know this isn't the first time he's done this, but he should still let the world know he's still alive. Anyone know if he has a facebook so I can see updates from this guy more than 3 times a year?
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

If something happened to him, it would make its way here. No news means he's working on Berserk just fine.
Aazholh
imanewbie

Post by Aazholh »

In the unfortunate event that Miura does die, would the publisher release the remaining episodes at the same snail pace? What would become of his story? Would the story die with him? You would think that if you dedicate a good chunk of your existence breathing life onto paper, that there would be an equal desire to finish it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Rolos wrote:I mean okay, very few languages have insults as delightfully versatile as "fuck" (in my opinion one of the greatest contributions of the English language to the world, second only to the the great and only "unbeknownst"), but most of them have something like it: the spanish(ard?) "Joder", the chilean "weon", the french "conasse", etc...
Words that can be used as verb, adjective and noun. Words to insult, express frustration, add emphasis, turn on a certain kind of person. Words that fucking fuck fuckers for fuck's sake! (Fuck!)
Fuck is probably my all-time favorite word. I don't know why, I just love it. For a single word, it has such versatility. Once during an argument someone even told me that they had never heard the word used in so many different ways, lol.

Anyway, it always pisses me off when people make a big deal over curse words. No one even gives a fuck about the original curses anymore. You say fuck and some people nearly have a heart-attack, but no one even bats an eye at the word hell or damn anymore. Think about the implications of those words. "Damn you", or "Go to Hell". Isn't that far worse than your random expletive? The only thing that really makes a word "bad" is when stuck-up people say its bad, or maybe that's just how I see it. It's like I seen this movie review on Netflix where the person was saying the movie was bad just because they use the word fuck several times at the beginning. So fucking what!? Not helpful, and a horrible way to review a movie. Like, "Oh, I'm so offended that you used that word." It's just a fuckin' word, get over it. I've even read a thesis on the origin of swear words, and how irrelevant they really are. Take the word shit for example. Can't say it on TV, because someone might get offended, but why? It just means excrement. I can say poop and it's okay, so what makes shit so bad? It's just because it's considered vulgar, but really the whole idea of it being offensive is completely inane. That's why I say it really just comes down to snobby people (or people who've been brain-washed into thinking it's such a bad thing) getting their panties in a bunch. Also there's the conception that only low-class, unintelligent, or bad people swear. Which I find completely retarded. More snotty fuckin' propaganda, if you ask me. See, in Japan, they don't really have this concept of words that are bad. There are still ways of speaking formally and ways of speaking vulgarly. However, even a child can speak in the most vulgar form of the language, and it's still not a taboo. Yahiko from Kenshin comes to mind. You'd just think, man that kids got a dirty mouth, but you wouldn't think to punish or reprimand them for it. Take the word "aitsu" for example. Often it's translated into English as the word bastard, because it's considered to have negative conatation. Something you might use for someone you don't like. However, all it really means is "that guy", or something like that. I too don't really know Japanese, this is just what I've come to understand about how the language works. You guys who do know the language feel free to correct me, or to add to this, if I'm not quite right about something.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Well, the only reason some words are considered "bad" is because most people who speak that language (or dialect) have decided to set those words apart, to classify them as "socially inappropriate". The words themselves, while usually having to do with things that are taboo (such as sex and excretion), are not really considered bad because of that.
If I tell someone to "have sexual intercourse with himself" he'll just laugh. If I tell him to "go fuck himself" things are bound to get more interesting.
I don't see anything wrong with that, expletives are born for a reason. The method by (through) which they are chosen is a little unreasonable, yes, but the same could be said for practically anything that relies on the decision of the many.
People need short, concise words that carry negative connotations, and when there's a need, society provides.
Imagine you are walking down the street and some fucker throws a milkshake at you from a moving car. You don't know who he is, what offends him, your time is limited and you're really, really angry. What would you do?
If people didn't get offended by certain words, you'd be fucked.
We agree up to this point. Expletives are good.
You have, however, defended:
A)The use of expletives in fiction.
and
B)The "cleverness" (I'm using this word because I'm too goddamn lazy to think of one that's more appropriate) of cursing.

I don't think the use of expletives should become widespread in fiction. If it did, we would soon become completely desensitized to them, they'd stop being considered "offensive enough" and we'd have to come up with new ones. Since the new ones would be promptly used in fiction on a massive scale, those new swear-words would become harmless too, and we would have to come up with new new ones. And the cycle would repeat itself on an on, the birth and death of new insults going on at an ever increasingly fast rate. While this "life-cycle of expletives" itself is nothing new, the lack of "predators" (concerned mothers, old people with too much free time, most of the religious right (for some reason), etc...) would completely destabilize the rhythm at which new insults are born, it wouldn't give them time to "mature", to fully develop all those interesting variations that make them so goddamn funny. Take "fuck", for example. Have you ever read the word's history? It goes back way before the romans. That's about two thousand years. No wonder it is such a beautifully versatile word, it has had a long time to mature, like a fine wine.
Wanna know what happens when the lifecycle of shit get all mixed up (and shit)?

Everything turns to feces! (and shit)

Even without taking that into account, expletives are just too simple, unimaginative and unoriginal to earn the respect of an intelligent reader/audience/listener. But that has more to do with my second point:

People who swear a lot tend to be fucking stupid (self-loathing is fun!). Why?
Because swearing is simple, it's the standardized way to insult people, and the almost exclusive use of them to insult others reveals an appalling lack of ingenuity in the offender. Every person is different, everyone has his own buttons, things that really hit the very core of his being. Thing that kick that little child we all have inside right in the face.
A truly personalized insult requires thought, elaboration, subtlety.
A simple "Fuck you" just won't do.
If, on the other hand, you were thinking of expletives as a form of adding emphasis, well, I recommend reading this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClusterFBomb
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ionFStrike

P.S. I find the mere suggestion that I might be anything other than human to be extremely offensive. In fact, my human feelings are so hurt I'll now react in a pointlessly violent, probably counterproductive way, as we humans always do. Then I'll probably put a piece of breadcrumbs-covered avian muscle in my human mouth, and move my single-jointed mandibles up and down to cut it into smaller pieces, because my human digestive system, which is not pathetically underdeveloped, can't absorb them otherwise. Then my brain will practically stop functioning for about 9 hours for no apparent reason while I lay defenseless in a piece of cloth. Good (human) times!
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Rolos wrote:P.S. I find the mere suggestion that I might be anything other than human to be extremely offensive. In fact, my human feelings are so hurt I'll now react in a pointlessly violent, probably counterproductive way, as we humans always do. Then I'll probably put a piece of breadcrumbs-covered avian muscle in my human mouth, and move my single-jointed mandibles up and down to cut it into smaller pieces, because my human digestive system, which is not pathetically underdeveloped, can't absorb them otherwise. Then my brain will practically stop functioning for about 9 hours for no apparent reason while I lay defenseless in a piece of cloth. Good (human) times!
LMFAO! :lol:

As for the rest of what you said, I guess you make some good points. Swear words wouldn't be nearly as fun if some people didn't get offended by them I guess, and there's generally at least a modicum of truth to every stereotype. Although clearly you and I both enjoy curse words, and we both seem to be fairly intelligent people. Maybe we fall under one of the other stereotypes for people who swear excessively, like sailors and extraterrestrials...wait, no that can't be right. :P
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Shut up Bitch!

Seriously this is bullshit.....

Does Miura have any other projects that he is working on? Other than being bored of his what has become "his life's work", there is no reasonable explanation for putting out chapters at a semi-annual pace. It is pathetic that there is less wait for another piece of shit Twilight movie than for one chapter of Berserk.

By the way how many "actual" years has it been since Guts and crew left for that stupid Ferry Island?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Turd Ferguson
notanewb

Post by Turd Ferguson »

The Prince wrote: By the way how many "actual" years has it been since Guts and crew left for that stupid Ferry Island?
They got on the boat in Chapter 278, which came out during the summer of 2006. It's been four years!

What I find crazy is when Dark Horse first began releasing English volumes, I was disappointed with how slow they were coming out and thought they'd never catch up Japanese volumes. Well, now they have!
My stream of conciousness flows into a river of blood.
Aazholh
imanewbie

Post by Aazholh »

I'm dying to know what the solitary island is all about. But, I don't think what happens there is going to be anything earth-shattering or have much impact on the main story. I hope I'm wrong. Unless, one of the godhands happens to be involved, the moonlight child shows up, or skullknight makes an appearance; I really want them back on the boat to Elfhelm.

Once the story focuses back on Griffith, things will get more interesting. I mean, Fredrico Do Vandimion and the rest of the nobles probably wont bow down to Griffith even if standing in the awesomeness of Falconia. Griffith will problably have to illustrate what happens to humans that don't play by his rules. We will get to see how the other human characters (Owen, Raban, Silat...) process this brave, new world.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I've begun to consider Berserk one of the great unfinished masterpieces of our time. It's not that I don't believe that it will eventually end, it's just that it's disturbingly difficult to keep interested in a piece when it releases so slowly. In some ways this is what's bad about comics: it takes weeks to create a chapter and only minutes to finish it. But at the same time, and I've said this before, Miura doesn't need to put in as much detail as he does. I'm not saying don't do the grand scapes, all I'm saying is that he doesn't have to draw in every blade of grass or every brick in a castle. Kind of like when Berserk began, or even in the middle (from our point of view, not the story's). It's also been 13 years since the anime came out, why not create a second season to boost interest in the series? Or have more people working on it? I know he has assistants, but for the art he wants to create he needs an army. And the way the story's going it looks like there's going to be 40 books by the end. If we're at book 33 now, that would take us almost to 2020! I know there's something to be said of prolonging a series, but this isn't the way to do it.

And yet we all still wait patiently for the next chapter to come because we all know the masterpiece it will be.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

It'll probably be a very strange scene. The one my clone/son will come across, I mean.
An old man, crying in a badly lit room, clutching Berserk's final page in his right hand.
I'd be pretty spooked, but that's just me, I don't know how someone who only shares my genotype would react.
He'd probably shoot the old man, if movies are any good at predicting how artificially-produced late-twins act.
May be not. I'd prefer if he didn't, the old man being me and all, but that's irrelevant.
My point is, Berserk is probably going to be finished in my life-time, and that's all I need to know.
Fair is foul, and Foul is fair. So foul and fair a day I have not seen. Or something like that*.

* = I can finish my post with references to Shakespearean works too! (unless you meant that book by Huxley. If that's the case, well...mmmm....ok, I got one. ahem. "Gee, I sure do hope Berserk is finished before 2984 *wink wink* )
~Diogenes of Sinope
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Hey guys, Ritual Scan Forge says Berserk is returning in the following issue in June 25th and since they're a pretty reliable source, we're probably very close for more Berserk goodness.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Good.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

HUH?!

Why is this little insignificant piece of trash complaining about something he's getting for free?
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

Deathbringer wrote:Hey guys, Ritual Scan Forge says Berserk is returning in the following issue in June 25th and since they're a pretty reliable source, we're probably very close for more Berserk goodness.
I hope Miura takes us to Guts and Crew getting back on the boat to Elfhelm before the next break. Probably wishful thinking, but a guy can dream right?
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Aluja wrote:HUH?!

Why is this little insignificant piece of trash complaining about something he's getting for free?
Oh right I forgot what a shitty thread this started off as.
BigSassy wrote:I hope Miura takes us to Guts and Crew getting back on the boat to Elfhelm before the next break. Probably wishful thinking, but a guy can dream right?
I dream of no breaks, and the chapters keep coming out and then there's the ending chapters of Berserk, and Griffith and Guts are there and and and it's all warm and fuzzy. Hm that didn't come out right, but it's good times dreaming about Berserk. Weirdly enough I don't think I've ever had any nightmares about Berserk.
Nakadai
imanewbie

Post by Nakadai »

Waiting sucks. So does not knowing why new chapters have been so few or whether the manga will ever see an end..... Oh well.
Infini-Tropolis.com
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

At least we'll be getting a new chapter soon! Like in a couple weeks.