The one and only Xbox 360 thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Are you going to get an Xbox 360?

Got mine at Launch
9%
Going to get one when demand is Lower
9%
Going to wait until a price drop
14%
Going to wait until PS3 comes out to compare the two
7%
Going to wait until Christmas 2006 and Get Both Xbox360 and PS3
5%
Laughing my ass off that the solution to the power supply overheating and causing crashes is to use a piece of string.
56%

Total votes: 43

Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Re: The one and only Xbox 360 thread

Post by Loeviz »

I finally got some free time on my hands yesterday and what happens?
Yeah I get to play for about 5 minutes and then the box froze up, restarted it with the same game and same shit happens in about 5 minutes.
Restart it once more with another game and same shit and on the fourth restart I get the Red ring. Lucky me.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Loeviz wrote:I finally got some free time on my hands yesterday and what happens?
Yeah I get to play for about 5 minutes and then the box froze up, restarted it with the same game and same shit happens in about 5 minutes.
Restart it once more with another game and same shit and on the fourth restart I get the Red ring. Lucky me.
Is this shit like a common occurrence or something? Because I've read so much shit about people getting red rings and dumping their Xbox360 because of it (overheating and what not)

I just got mine a couple of months ago, and I haven't touched it at all. But my sorta games are usually RPGs, which I would play for extended periods of time on Sundays. Is this gonna blow the Xbox360 or what?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Yeah its a common mistake so if you get it Microsoft takes care of all the costs.

They have an agreement with UPS to deliver the broken xboxes so I just gave them a call and they came the day after, Pretty impressed actually.
The best thing was that when the UPS guys saw my package they asked if it was an xbox which it was so it happens a lot.
I have 5 friends that got the red ring, one of them even twice.

Actually thought I wouldnt get it since I dont play as much as I used too, maybe 1 day a week if even that and I got the damn thing.

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

As far as I know it's a manufacturing defect that's going to fail at some point regardless of what you do (much like the PS2's Disc Read Error). But Microsoft does repair them for free, so don't worry about it and play. Also, newer 360s are less likely to RRoD (although I don't know by how much).
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

It took 8 days to get my xbox back again from repairs.
Got one month gold for free, never gonna use it though :P

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

So, my Xbox RRoDed on me.

I can't get it to work. It's beyond warranty (I bought this second hand, so I don't know if it is. Anyway, I registered it online and that's what it told me). The warranty only lasts for 3 years or so. Otherwise, I'll have to pay 140 bucks to get it fixed. I've only really got a couple of days out of it, so I'm not too happy about it.

So I'm trying this towel trick to see if it works. It's a temporary fix, I know, but I'm considering getting a new one instead of an El Cheapo one I bought from a friend. Thing is, money's a bit tight at the moment...so I'll have to consider it thoroughly.

And I was just getting into Eternal Sonata. Not a bad game, but not great. The story is a bit lame, to be honest.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

Let us know how if the towel trick works.

there is another way to fix it thats a bit more technical if you would rather not try the towel. i do not know the specifics but it involves opening up the case, and useinf a hair dryer over the CPU to heat up the thermal paste under it, and then pushing the CPU down and makeing sure it had a good connection to whats is under it. supposedly the problems with the red rings appear because that thermal paste expands makeing the connection very bad. the towle can work by overheating the insides alowing that paste to melt and hopefully conncet again, but well you can mess it up from over heating it to much too :\
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Thermal paste expanding really goes against it's main function, it'd have to be a major screw up on the side of the paste maker if that were the case and no company would even dare buy their product. I really don't know exactly what causes the RRODs but it would have to be something much more subtle than lousy thermal paste, otherwise it would've been fixed years ago.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

papasith wrote:Let us know how if the towel trick works.
It worked... for an hour or so.

What I should have done was do more research and find other methods to fix it, instead of reading comments about how great the towel trick was. I was pretty determined to buy a new one that I didn't really care what happened with this one.

I don't know, I might get a new one. Still thinking whether or not I should pay 500 bucks for one of those new ones that's said to be better than the arcade ones.

Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Xbox 360 is definitely the worst console I've had and I probably had them all in the last 20 years.
Problems I've had with consoles in my life... :
-SNES and Nin. sometimes had difficulty starting games, had to blow and retry couple of times.
-The lid of my PS1 broke, but I could still make it work easily.
-The video cable for my PS2 was sensible to touch, which I simply changed.
-My Xbox just wouldn't power up anymore... didn't bother to repair that crap.
-My Xbox 360 got RRoD... Sent it for repair for free, they didn't repair it, they sent me another Xbox 360...
-Around 4 months later my replaced Xbox 360 won't read any game anymore.
It's the second time this crap break and doesn't want to work in only 3 years and a couple months in which I almost didn't play with it. I am always careful with my consoles, i never even watched a DVD on it and only played like 10 different games. Now they want me to pay for repair and shipping. Fuck you Microsoft.

Seriously this console is shit, get a PS3 it's just incomparably better or simply don't get a Xbox 360...
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Borderlands is a masterwork :D
Its like Fallout and Diablo had a little kid.
The only sad thing is that you dont have any armor to gear yourself with other than a shield. However there is tons of weapons out there just waiting for you :)

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I took advantage of Best Buy's "3 for 2" deal and got Borderlands, along with Brutal Legend and Infamous.

I was hesitant to get Borderlands but it looked good enough and I loved Fallout 3 so I'll check it out.

A lot of gaming in my future.

And here I thought I had almost given the hobby up.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Dont really know what I should say about Dragon Age. If you dont play it for a couple of days its hard to get into the game again.
One thing you all should do is to make all your mages to Arcane Warriors so they can have full plate, hilarious shit :D

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I think I want No More Heroes in HD.

I'd sure as fuck appreciate the better graphics and I'm curious as to how it controls with a regular controller.

I hope Ubisoft brings it over.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Yeah that game seems to be a good game.

Need to re-evaluate Dragon Age after I´ve finished it.
The game was a little to slowpaced for my taste and it really didnt have that much of variety when it came to armor sets (Specially to mages and rouges, like 5 robes and almost none at all to rouges).
I didnt even become get to lvl 25, was 22-23 when I was done and that kinda blows considering I did everything you could do in the game except fight in the dwarven arena.
But they might release more DLC in the future :)

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'm a little over halfway in Mass Effect 2.

It's pretty awesome but they dumbed down a lot of shit.

A LOT of shit.

I'm kinda upsetting.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Yeah, I have to agree with you. The things they've dumbed down really relates to the customisation though (ie armour, leveling up), and it's become more combat-orientated this time around. There's no 'world exploration' this time around (which I honestly don't mind), but replaced with the more mind-numbing probing for minerals. Overall though, some of the changes altogether I don't mind. Some are welcome, and the others I'm not too upset about.

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy about the removal of the Mako and a couple other things but I did enjoy customizing my weapons with mods and shit in the first one, even if the inventory system was crap.

I hope they find a better balance between customization and streamlining for Mass Effect 3.

PS: Thane is a badass.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy about the removal of the Mako

Oh come on, how could you not just love doing this for hours on end?

BTW, I finally got myself a 360 (that Elite + ODST & Forza 3 bundle was too good a deal to pass up) so look up TempestX86 if you guys want to be my fwends. :kekeke:
ImageImage
Messatsu
This is my new home

Post by Messatsu »

So who here got read dead redemption? Is it any good?
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Messatsu wrote:So who here got read dead redemption? Is it any good?
It. Is. Awesome. (got it on PS3)

The main characters are really likeable, the world is vast and everywhere little things are happening like wolves hunting deer, bandits robbing stagecoaches where you can just ride by, or kill the bandits, or help them, whatever you feel like.

One of my favorite pasttimes in the game is just playing real texas hold em poker with guys in a bar where you can make sweet money to buy new sweet weapons with :D
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, this game is great! I love westerns, and I think they've done an awesome job with this game. I own all at liar's dice. You know the guy that you have to play a game of Liar's Dice to get the deed? You'll see what I mean if you haven't gotten there yet. You have to ante $200 a game. I just kept pwning that guy over and over. I made so much freakin' cash off that guy, it's ridiculous, lol.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

The game is very GTA-esque but the wild west setting and the characters themselves add a quality that Niko and co (cousin let's go drink!) couldn't do. Riding on a horse only to have someone askyoutohogtiea thief is actually pretty darn fun!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I think they did a really good job on making it feel like an actual western. I thought GTA4 was pretty darn good, but the GTA games have never really appealed to me on the level of some other games, especially the older ones, because they just seemed to be vulgar for the sake of it. Though they started to feel less and less trashy since Vice City. Anyway, you don't really get that sense with this game, though it definitely plays like a GTA game, but I think the setting really makes the game, and the game-play really adds to that.