The Conan/Jay Leno thing.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

The Conan/Jay Leno thing.

Post by Femto »

Can we all agree that this week is going to be the best week of The Tonight Show ever?

Love Conan.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Re: The Conan/Jay Leno thing.

Post by Eldo »

Australians don't get much of Conan and the Jay Leno ordeal, but we do get some Colbert Report (for those who have digital channels. Yes, we are behind like that).

To be honest, I don't really know much about this, but it seems that the internet is siding with Coco on this. I never really found Coco really that funny to begin with to be honest, and Jay Leno makes me cringe. I do hope this works out because this is incredibly embarassing to NBC.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hahaha.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

You know what, I found that video funny, but it might be because I'm drunk.

But yes, I understand the situation moderately well right now. Although, to be honest, I knew the broad details listed in the video before, but not the finer print. I read a version that Leno gave in his opening monologue where he offset the blame off to NBC in general (having been 'forced' to 'retire', and to host his own show at the latter half of 2009), although I cannot tell for sure how accurate his version is. I did watch Jimmy Kemmel's 'pwnage' (not really) on youtube though.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Go team Coco, that's what I say.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I've been a big Conan fan for years now, I remember staying up late on weekdays just to watch his show when I was in middle school. I also recorded and watched every single episode of Conan's Tonight Show and these last few days have been top notch. Great guests and even funnier jokes. I think that threat of cancellation has all the writers fired up, and Conan will keep on making fun of NBC until the the very last second he's on the air.

I can't get the link to the video cause they're using some other weird player, but if you go to this next link and to the video right after this description, and skip to the last few minutes, you'll see Norm MacDonald making one of the funniest surprise appearances ever:

http://tv.gawker.com/5452391/as-obrien- ... intage-jay

"12:35 AM ET: Later, O'Brien continued making as much light as he can of his situation, promoting a "0.6 Year Anniversary Show" before playing a Taiwanese video animation to explain what's going on at NBC. After that, he was surprised by friend Norm MacDonald."
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I'm with Coco.

He left the Masturbation Bear in NY! :(
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I never watched either too much. But I'm with Jay on this. Both are partially at fault. Conan had time to build his audience, and Jay could have eased the process by having Conan host his show once in a while to let viewers get used to him.

I just like Jay cuz hes got lots of cars. Expensive cars.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Jay Leno is not even funny.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

newbified wrote:He left the Masturbation Bear in NY! :(
He made a comeback, watch the last episodes for his grand reappearance.
lon3vvolf wrote:I never watched either too much. But I'm with Jay on this. Both are partially at fault. Conan had time to build his audience, and Jay could have eased the process by having Conan host his show once in a while to let viewers get used to him.

I just like Jay cuz hes got lots of cars. Expensive cars.
Conan has a young audience, while Leno appeals to old farts who like unfunny things. The highlight of Jay Leno's Tonight Show was the Headlines segment, which required none of his or his writers' input.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

"All I ask is one thing, and I’m asking this particularly of young people that watch. Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism, for the record it’s my least favorite quality. It doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get but if you work really hard and you’re kind amazing things will happen. I’m telling you, amazing things will happen." -Conan

:(
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Must be tough for a cynic like you to hear, Femto. :P

Maybe he's being sarcastic? I know he enjoys sarcasm...but probably not. :?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

That was pretty much his last statement before ending the show by playing Freebird with several artists like Beck, ZZ Top and Will Ferrell. Conan also played guitar on that last song. Pretty nice ending, I wish the Late Show Conan used to host would've ended that good as well.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I don't consider myself a cynical person.

Sure, I dislike 90% of comics/movies/cartoons/etc out there but that doesn't mean I walk with a rainy cloud over my head.

Regardless, Conan's entire farewell statement was great.

Watch it before it gets taken down.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Too late. :?
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Jon Stewart > all those other hosts.

Let the flames begin.