Brütal Legend sucked.

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Brütal Legend sucked.

Post by Femto »

Agreed?

I bet nobody here played it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Brütal Legend sucked.

Post by War Machine »

I tried the demo. I liked the whole Metalocalypse vibe and the music, obviously, but the gameplay itself is really subpar. I felt like I was playing one of those Mario 64 knockoffs.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The game-play wasn't that great, but overall I definitely liked the game. I enjoyed the story and the world that it took place in, it helps that I like Jack Black, and of course the music was the best thing about the game. I thought the stage battles were kind of cool. It all seemed kind of short though, I would have liked it if it had been longer.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The music and the world are the highlights of the game.

Gameplay is really lacking and I just cannot for the life of me understand why Tim Schafer chose to make an RTS.

"I'm going to make a heavy metal game and going to focus heavily around real-time strategy!"

I just can't make that connection.

It's not a terrible game but god, what a disappointment.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

From the very little I played of it, everything was awesome EXPECT how it played. It's quite sad actually.

However, I would wager it made enough money from hype and sycophantic reviewers that Double Fine will get more steam going to make games, and hopefully they will be better.
ImageImage
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Tempest wrote:From the very little I played of it, everything was awesome EXPECT how it played. It's quite sad actually.

However, I would wager it made enough money from hype and sycophantic reviewers that Double Fine will get more steam going to make games, and hopefully they will be better.
I concur. The setting, the story, the cutscenes, Jack Black, the whole premise of the game was awesome. Gameplay however, not so much. Combat was rather button-mashy, and the RTS parts were really under-developed.

Oh, and Brütal Legend tanked hard in sales, just like DJ Hero, which IMHO is much more fun than Guitar Hero: http://kotaku.com/5403712/october-sales ... egend-well
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I think the story was a problem as well.

It didn't strike a good balance between comedy and (attempted) seriousness like, for example, Psychonauts did.

Towards the end it gets all serious and I'm thinking "wait, is this supposed to be funny?"

One of the biggest letdowns in games recently.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I just beat Brutal Legend. I thought it was great.

Granted the gameplay is weak compared to many other games, and I mean many. But for me the world, characters and story were enough for me to enjoy the game quite a bit.

I think the only problem with the story is that it is a touch rushed at the end. I also thought the soundtrack was great. Definitely the high point of the game.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ayanami wrote:I just beat Brutal Legend. I thought it was great.

Granted the gameplay is weak compared to many other games, and I mean many. But for me the world, characters and story were enough for me to enjoy the game quite a bit.

I think the only problem with the story is that it is a touch rushed at the end. I also thought the soundtrack was great. Definitely the high point of the game.
Yeah, I had the exact same opinion about this game.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Terrible game.

Threw my copy on eBay a week after completing it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well that's why I rent most games before I buy. Unless it's really really good, I just send it back when I'm done.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I try to be very discerning as to what I buy and don't buy in the first place.

I prefer to own games and keep them if they're really good or until I realize that I'll never play them again years after purchase.

Not so with Brütal Legend.