Berserk Mark discovery.

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Born_Loser
notanewb

Berserk Mark discovery.

Post by Born_Loser »

Hello everyone.

So. I've been pondering on this story I was writing, up all night basically. Well. a large part of my story is Runes. So, I realized I needed to learn more about them, so, I went and dived into rune lore to learn as much as I could. When... I made this important discovery.

The Mark of the Chosen in Berserk is a combination of two runes.

the first rune is eolhx: Image

Which means "sancturary" or "Protection". As you can see, this is the part of the mark that runs up the center.

Next, is the rune eþel: Image
this Rune basically means "Property".

As you can see, in the mark, this rune is turned upside down, and has the eolhx rune placed in the center of it. Combine these two Runes, and you got yourself a Berserk Mark. Now, I think the meaning of them combined like that is clear. Those who are branded, are the sanctified property of the God-Hand.
"Never dance with a girl who's older brothers have knife scars." - Matrim Cauthon
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Re: Berserk Mark discovery.

Post by DrPepperPro »

It's almost exact. The actual symbol is this:

Those 2 put together would be:

It's very possible that Miura looked into runes and symbols rather than just making up the brand. So yes good find.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i bet you those extra two lines represent the arms of the godhand that are the apostles and stuff like that
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I'm more familiar with Scandinavian mythology and rune sets, where those two are:

Image Algiz:

Roughly meaning Elk, which stands for protection and stands as a ward against evil.

Image Odal or Othala:

Roughly means Ancestral property pertaining to inherited property or possessions through heritage.

What sense are your definitions for the runes from? Is it from a different religion other than Norse?
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Interesting.
Born_Loser
notanewb

Post by Born_Loser »

newbified wrote:I'm more familiar with Scandinavian mythology and rune sets, where those two are:

Image Algiz:

Roughly meaning Elk, which stands for protection and stands as a ward against evil.

Image Odal or Othala:

Roughly means Ancestral property pertaining to inherited property or possessions through heritage.

What sense are your definitions for the runes from? Is it from a different religion other than Norse?
While I was reading about the runes from the Elder Futhark, the information i posted is what i found. I only know very little about runes, so, you are probably more correct than me.
"Never dance with a girl who's older brothers have knife scars." - Matrim Cauthon
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

First decent thread in a while.
Rolos Approves.
Where did you guys find all this information regarding runes? I have a vague desire to learn more about them.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

Rolos wrote:Where did you guys find all this information regarding runes?
Diablo II
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Born_Loser wrote:Hello everyone.

So. I've been pondering on this story I was writing, up all night basically. Well. a large part of my story is Runes. So, I realized I needed to learn more about them, so, I went and dived into rune lore to learn as much as I could. When... I made this important discovery.

Which means "sancturary" or "Protection". As you can see, this is the part of the mark that runs up the center.

As you can see, in the mark, this rune is turned upside down, and has the eolhx rune placed in the center of it. Combine these two Runes, and you got yourself a Berserk Mark. Now, I think the meaning of them combined like that is clear. Those who are branded, are the sanctified property of the God-Hand.
Nice! Also it kind of lends credence to my theory that people with the brand don't/can't die of age (probably), disease, or other "peaceful" ways. They are the property of the God's Hand, and aren't allowed (or in other words are protected from) to die in anything other than pain and agony, presumably as a result of violence. The fact that it seems to make Guts slightly tougher/stronger than he should be might also be deliberate (another aspect of "protection") since it ensures that the sacrifice can suffer more before finally dying.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Right on Born Loser... I love finding (or being shown) links between berserk and the "real world" :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Born_Loser
notanewb

Post by Born_Loser »

Istvan wrote:
Born_Loser wrote:Hello everyone.

Nice! Also it kind of lends credence to my theory that people with the brand don't/can't die of age (probably), disease, or other "peaceful" ways. They are the property of the God's Hand, and aren't allowed (or in other words are protected from) to die in anything other than pain and agony, presumably as a result of violence. The fact that it seems to make Guts slightly tougher/stronger than he should be might also be deliberate (another aspect of "protection") since it ensures that the sacrifice can suffer more before finally dying.

You also gotta keep in mind that the 2nd rune is inverted, the Japanese usually do that when they want the meaning to be opposite.
Dokuro no Kishi
imanewbie

Post by Dokuro no Kishi »

DrPepperPro wrote:It's almost exact. The actual symbol is this:

Those 2 put together would be:

It's very possible that Miura looked into runes and symbols rather than just making up the brand. So yes good find.
I can see a guy with spiky hair doing exercise. So mabye that's where he got it from.